Author Topic: Main dealer sevicing  (Read 3073 times)

edam

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
Main dealer sevicing
« on: September 06, 2018, 06:05:55 PM »
Last year when I took my car Honda Jazz in for a service they damaged the bodywork  in the workshop. Ok this happens BUT they did not tell me !!!!!. Luckily before leaving the premises I spotted the damage and it was subsequently repaired

This year I took my car to another dealership, obviously I was not going back to the previous. but after checking the car at home after the service I found that a tyre valve cap had not been put back on and also they had not bothered to top up the washer bottle.What else has been missed!!

Where do I take the car next year.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 06:11:08 PM by edam »

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
Re: Main dealer sevicing
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 06:30:17 PM »
I bought a used Jazz (from a big city main dealer) which was to have a service before delivery. When I picked up the car the locking wheel socket was missing, and it took them three hours to find it. They assured me they had lost it after doing the service, but 3000 miles later I had metal to metal contact on the front pads and need new disks.

Another main dealer gave me an alert that the rear brake pads would changing in approx 2000 miles. Next time I took it in they did a health check and said the rear brakes were fine!

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 06:47:41 PM »
Also something else I have spotted.

Apparently the tyre tread depth increases  with mileage and brake pads never wear out.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 09:00:02 PM »
Well neither my discs nor pads wear very much but that's just my driving style.

However I've already decided I'm taking my car to an independant. I've not been particularly happy with either of the two recent services my dealer (Kidlington) did and I certainly haven't been impressed with how they handled the several faults I've raised with them.

I'll probably get a reminder call from their head office (they are a franchise) around February and I'll make sure they know that I won't be taking my car there to be serviced ever again and that my next Honda (if I do buy one) will be from a different dealership franchise. It'll be the fourth and final time that I've complained to them and I suppose it'll be up to them to decide what if anything to do about it. Last I heard servicing was the most lucrative part of selling a car and if so you'd think they'd care.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 10:03:59 PM »
Unfortunately poor servicing is endemic in British garages. Which have done several surveys over the years when cars with pre arranged faults are put in and they are not picked up, some routine work is not done and so on and so forth. I just happened on an old BBC Watchdog clip on YouTube about Kwik Fit and their practice of conning motorists into having work done that isn't necessary.

It does seem that a good independent is the road to go down.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 10:32:37 PM »
Well neither my discs nor pads wear very much but that's just my driving style.

I know you never use your brakes, but driving style isn't the point. The point is that we were delivered a car which had just had a full service, and had metal to metal contact after 3000 miles of normal use. The service intervals are not based on driving styles like yours.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 10:45:38 PM »
I was told brake pads were fine on one of our Jazz's.  Apparently they couldn't hear the acoustic wear indicator, whic sound like you have Rudolph in the car with you, and it much louder outside.

At the last service, they said the front pads were 15-20% worn - this implies they'll last 150K.   Hmmmm....
The dealer hasn't responded to my query about this.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 02:54:42 PM »
Yes unfortunately, you do encounter problems with Main franchise dealers. My parents used to have VWs. Bodywork damage, stolen airfreshers, distortion to dashboard, you name it, we had it. Unfortunately my parents didn't know much about complaining so they just had to accepted it! I just had my Jazz bodywork repaired by local Honda dealer. The staff were nice but the opposite side was a scratch and dashboard was very dirty! So called quality control!

Normally, I usually write directly to the Managing director or Dealer Principal and ask them to sort out the problems and then get them to knock off 10% of the bill as a goodwill gesture. I also do an honest survey and post on Twitter. The latter means in a short space of time, you usually get a quick positive response. At the end of the day, we pay main dealer prices, so we should have a higher expectations than the garage around the corner!

As for where to service your car, I would keep changing around until you find a good one. Google reviews may be a good place to start. Good luck!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 08:31:56 AM by 123Drive! »

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 10:11:19 PM »
I also do an honest survey and post on Twitter. The latter means in a short space of time, you usually get a quick positive response.

Do you post of the dealers Twitter page, or the manufacturers?

I find Twitter (and Facebook) very good for getting a quick response but they quickly move it private messages so you're not getting much of a public airing.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 01:00:40 AM »
Hi Rory! I post on both Dealer and Manufacture's account and link with @which? @whatcar? and any car magazine organisation. That's when they take notice because now thousands of people potentially can see your tweet.

At least you get a quick response and as long as you get problem sorted out, it doesn't matter if it goes into private message. At the end of the day, we are not here to make the dealer bankrupt-we just want to get what we paid for, which is good customer service. If they fail to deliver, we should inform them get the matter sorted, and if they value us as loyal customer, give us goodwill gesture.

I always give out complimentary comments on Social Media where it is due, especially if they acknowledge my problem and give me something in addition.

Ultimately, the dealers in Edam's example highlights law breaking-Consumer Rights Act 2015 states " how services should match up to what has been agreed, and what should happen when they do not, or when they are not provided with reasonable care and skill;" In all complaints, this should be quoted because if anything you can take them to Small Claims Court if matter is not solved. Or if you pay by Credit Card, 1974 Consumer Credit Act means the credit card company is also liable for the mistake the dealer has made.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 08:28:15 AM by 123Drive! »

Ed the Jazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S 1.3 CVT
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 10:38:55 PM »
Stopped using main dealer for servicing a good few years ago after been advised I had a bad oil leak from the rear of the engine block which must be leaving oil on the drive and need constant top up and it was dangerous to use the car on the road. Was quoted £400-£600 to strip and fix the leak. in 138,000 miles never needed to top up between services so was puzzled. The 'leak' turned out to be a dribble of oil from 'lubing' the throttle cable the same morning. MEGGA RIP OFF MERCHANTS. Have used independent garage ever since.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2018, 10:52:36 PM »
Same here! Leaking rear shocks...I looked at them and they were dry as Sahara desert! That was 4 yrs ago. Still no problems! A trusted independent is better.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2018, 10:15:10 AM »
Same here! Leaking rear shocks...I looked at them and they were dry as Sahara desert! That was 4 yrs ago. Still no problems! A trusted independent is better.

Main dealers and companies like kwikfit, chemix, ATS have more luck with women drivers who mostly know nothing about the way the car they drive works, and are easy prey for their misinformation. My wife went to get a couple of tyres fitted and was told ' the brake pads need replacing, they are very worn' she waited till she got home and asked me, the pads had not been on long (and my wife knew that), there was at least 6 mm left.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2018, 05:40:18 PM »
I remember many years ago a friend of mine took his Mini Metro in to be serviced. He was told it was riding low and was charged for four new shock absorbers. I pointed out to him that his car only had two (at the front) and that the garage should have re-gassed his suspension and charged him considerably less.

So it's not just women that get taken for a ride :-/

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2018, 06:07:35 PM »
I remember many years ago a friend of mine took his Mini Metro in to be serviced. He was told it was riding low and was charged for four new shock absorbers. I pointed out to him that his car only had two (at the front) and that the garage should have re-gassed his suspension and charged him considerably less.

So it's not just women that get taken for a ride :-/
Besides that, it is the springs that support the weight not the shock absorbers.  They just absorb the shocks and stop it from bouncing.

Tags: