Author Topic: Aircon leak? 2013 Mk2 Jazz EX Plus  (Read 2855 times)

Brian_I

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i-VTEC ES Plus 5dr
Aircon leak? 2013 Mk2 Jazz EX Plus
« on: August 21, 2018, 07:26:44 PM »
Parked up the Jazz in a car park today while I was up town doing a few odds and ends.

Came back to the car to notice a puddle and a drip of something coming from underneath the car.

I was able to reach under & stick my finger in the fluid, and give it a taste  :P Didn't taste of bittrex  ;D, so I'm assuming it's not engine coolant or screen wash. Didn't feel thick enough for it to be engine oil, as it was just like water.

Could it just be water coming off the aircon evaporator unit?  I haven't used the aircon recently, although I had set the ventilation system to "Auto" today.

Thoughts? Nothing to worry about? Or get it looked at?

Thanks!

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Aircon leak? 2013 Mk2 Jazz EX Plus
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 07:33:04 PM »
The pool of water is quite normal if the aircon is on and is ,as you say, the condensate from the evaporator. It will be more pronounced on humid days.

Vic.

Brian_I

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 07:41:28 PM »
Thanks Vic.

I'm sure that it is condensate from the evaporator (at least I'm hoping so anyway). Curiously, the empty parking spaces either side of me had wet spots as well....

I'm assuming that having the air setting to "auto" turns on aircon when required?

Regards,

Brian.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 08:11:24 PM »
With my Volvo I used the air con constantly (just a manual system), and there was always condensate, on the garage floor, of a morning.

guest4871

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 10:40:55 PM »
If it doesn't smell or taste it will be water condensate.

It is condensation draining out OK - so everything is perfect.

If it didn't drain you'd have a problem with it overflowing into the car!

Always just leave the AC in Auto (having set the temperature). It will operate when it needs to and not when it doesn't. Leaving it running all the time means the seals will always be lubricated and substantially reduce the risk of any freon gas leak. Left alone in Auto the gas should even last the life of the car!

And don't worry if the amber recirculate light comes on in Auto it will go back to green when the Auto setting has done it's job which if it is hot and humid might be some while.

It really is fully automatic (and that's what you paid for).

Brian_I

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 07:58:13 PM »
Thanks everyone.
Have been using the aircon "auto" setting for a a week now, much easier than turning it on and off by hand!

:)

DoobieNewbie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.3 CVT
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 01:23:50 PM »
Can I just ask the OP where about the leak is located. I have found a leak as well and it looks like water after touching it. It is everytime I park after driving the vehicle. Thanks so much.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 01:50:57 PM »
Water from aircon usually comes out near the rear of the engine in the  middle of the car..

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 02:14:29 PM »
Can I just ask the OP where about the leak is located. I have found a leak as well and it looks like water after touching it. It is everytime I park after driving the vehicle. Thanks so much.
Be aware, it is not a leak. It is just a function of the air con process. It takes moisture out of the air and dumps it under the car.

guest4871

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 03:29:11 PM »
Be aware, it is not a leak. It is just a function of the air con process. It takes moisture out of the air and dumps it under the car.

+1

It is not a leak.

The condensation drains out of a drain pipe and, if there is lots of it, may form a puddle when you park on a hard surface.

DoobieNewbie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.3 CVT
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 04:19:39 PM »
Thank you, everyone.  Very useful information.

Tags:

anything