Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Honda Jazz Mk2 2008-2015 / Wing mirror mount cover
« Last post by weeleyboy on September 19, 2018, 04:21:25 PM »
My  Jazz EXCVT RJ63 NSE (registered 09.01.14) needs a lower cover for the n/s wing mirror which was broken in an exchange of wing mirrors. The actual mirror is fine and the indicator works ok and folds as normal. It is the black plastic shroud which sits below the mirror and covers the mount which is broken. I tried to get a part no from Lings Honda web site but it doesn't recognise the registration no of my car. Is this a main agent job?
Hybrid / Re: 256k and no more
« Last post by Jocko on September 19, 2018, 03:19:01 PM »
I also believe, if a vehicle has been scrapped, and the DVLA had been notified it has been scrapped, it is removed from the system.
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Electric cars
« Last post by Jocko on September 19, 2018, 03:12:49 PM »
However, putting cameras on the vehicle body makes them lower than mirrors and hence more vulnerable to collecting muck.
If you had a look at the video you would see that the cameras replace the side mirrors. They are smaller and more aerodynamic than door mirrors.
Mind you, the cost of replacing one would be quite sore, and I don't know how I would get on with the display being mounted just below the normal mirror position.
Regarding cost - I imagine if you could afford the car in the first place, the cost of replacing a "mirror" would put you neither up nor down.

« Last post by Ozzie on September 19, 2018, 03:09:29 PM »
Did you use the vehicle enquiry site?

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

If it's been scrapped I believe it will no longer shows up on here but will still come up on the MOT history check.

My 53-plate Jazz can't be found if I run the reg through the vehicle enquiry.
Its showing the same result, no mot, no tax.
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: 30 mph to become 20 mph?
« Last post by John Ratsey on September 19, 2018, 03:09:02 PM »
Lower speeds and obstacles which cause stop-start driving are likely to increase CO2 as the vehicle movement becomes less efficient (until we all have hybrids or electric cars). The underlying problem is that, whatever the speed limit, a significant proportion of drivers will exceed the limit. I often accumulate a significant trail of vehicles when passing through a 30mph zone on a main road and that's when I'm a couple of mph over the indicated speed to allow for the built-in optimism (but I also get annoyed by those who drive significantly lower than the limit when the road is clear).
« Last post by Jocko on September 19, 2018, 03:03:16 PM »
If someone buys your vehicle and changes the registration number it doesn't show up on the Enquiry page.
If the previous owner of my car was to put the reg number in they had, it comes up as Vehicle details could not be found but I can see it under the current reg.
« Last post by John Ratsey on September 19, 2018, 02:55:18 PM »
Cameras have their advantages (eg less likely to be damaged) but one probably needs a backwards-looking cameras on the front corners to cover the blind spot over the driver's shoulder in addition to any camera on the back. However, putting cameras on the vehicle body makes them lower than mirrors and hence more vulnerable to collecting muck. I also wonder how well the sensors can handle a long dose of direct sunshine without quality deterioration.

Going slightly off-topic, but I've often wondered why aircraft don't have backwards-looking nose-mounted cameras so the pilot can see the condition of the engines (eg a fire warning) and wings without having to send someone to look. Such problems are infrequent but the cost would be negligble compared to the cost of the plane.
« Last post by John Ratsey on September 19, 2018, 02:42:55 PM »
Did you use the vehicle enquiry site?

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

If it's been scrapped I believe it will no longer shows up on here but will still come up on the MOT history check.

My 53-plate Jazz can't be found if I run the reg through the vehicle enquiry.
I'm surprised you can't find it. All my previous vehicles are there, going back to my 1958 Austin A35 (which I sold a few years ago as a restoration project). One vehicle shows up as having an SORN but another has the tax overdue from 1995 and, as it's an Austin Allegro, it's unlikely to be in someone's collection.
« Last post by Jocko on September 19, 2018, 11:59:56 AM »
Yes, quite legal. Found this:

MOT Test of Mirrors – Visibility (3)
View to the rear
This section is now covered under the new general section ‘Visibility’ (3), which includes Windscreens, and is repeated in the relevant section on this website here.

The Tester will check that all mandatory rear-view mirrors or indirect vision devices provide an adequate view to the rear from the driver’s seat.

Indirect vision cameras may replace mirrors on some vehicles. If such devices are fitted, the camera(s) and the screen will be inspected.

Rear view mirrors and indirect vision devices can be any of the following positions:

an exterior mirror or device that provides a view along the offside of the vehicle
an exterior mirror or device that provides a view along the nearside of the vehicle
an interior mirror or device which provides a view to the rear of the vehicle

« Last post by Jocko on September 19, 2018, 11:55:38 AM »
I'm convinced Audi's sweeping indicators are designed to encourage their customers to use their indicators, at least as a means of showing off if nothing else!  ;)
You could be right! The e-tron in the video has brake lights which start in the middle and sweeps to the edges. (See 8 minutes in)
Are cameras instead of mirrors legal in UK? Video says it is the plan in Europe. I know cars only needed a mirror, and old vehicles only had in interior mirror. I'll have to check out the regs.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]