Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Wind powered ferry.
« Last post by sparky Paul on February 21, 2018, 04:30:01 PM »
They are also starting to produce energy from tidal turbines, which is a much overlooked renewable resource, due in the past to lack of funding and little research.
The energy from the Eday tidal turbine test rig is currently producing the hydrogen for the docked ferries. There is great potential in tidal turbines, the concentration on wind is undoubtedly due to it being a mature and relatively easy technology to implement.

On Shapinsay, they are going to use surplus wind power to produce hydrogen to feed into a catalytic boiler to heat the school, as well as export to Orkney Mainland, where it used in the hydrogen-electric shuttle bus service, a hydrogen refuelling station and eventually, a fleet of delivery vans.
Honda Jazz Mk3 2015 - / Re: What's your best advice for a new automatic Jazz
« Last post by Jocko on February 21, 2018, 03:43:37 PM »
No, don't get into left foot braking. Apart from anything else you may have to go back to a manual some day!
I only ever went for the phantom clutch once, long before I ever got an automatic of my own. It was a Ford Corsair, and it had a big, wide brake pedal. It is amazing the emergency stop you can manage with both feet on the brake!
I have to admit, since going back to the manual I have forgotten to de-clutch twice during rapid stops!

« Last post by culzean on February 21, 2018, 03:09:51 PM »
Congratulations.  And you never put yourself through the windscreen by using the phantom clutch pedal  ;)

Good advice.

Keep your left foot out of the way,  I drove automatics for many years overseas (and my wifes in UK) and your left foot is not good for braking, it is just tempting fate to try to brake with it.. you never really want to brake and accelerate at the same time anyway.
« Last post by ColinS on February 21, 2018, 02:53:20 PM »
Congratulations.  And you never put yourself through the windscreen by using the phantom clutch pedal  ;)
Honda Jazz Mk3 2015 - / Re: Auto idle stop on CVT, neutral and other issues.
« Last post by culzean on February 21, 2018, 02:41:57 PM »
As he needed both sides of the road clear to get out, he had to wait until I got past.

You were taking a big chance when dealing with a 'Bavarian Maniacs Wagon' - they say time, tide and BMW wait for no man. I have been very soured by watching antics of german staff car drivers, zooming from fast (sorry BMW lane) on motorways across all three lanes to get off at an exit is one of their tricks,  as is getting in wrong lane at island because it has shortest queue and then barging across to proper lane, I am still convinced many German car drivers badger their doctors to get disabled stickers as well, large german SUV seem so over-represented in disabled spots that it is either the german car seats that make people disabled or something fishy going on.
« Last post by Hebden on February 21, 2018, 02:27:33 PM »
Ooh just back from the swap and itís been a lovely first drive. Quiet, freely and smoothly moving. Letís hope the love affair lasts.

A bit of creep when in reverse. Perhaps that means a firmer foot on the foot brake. Seats  feel different too, maybe thatís just newness. Touch screen seems more responsive. Dealer suggested you need to give them a wipe every so often.
Honda Jazz Mk3 2015 - / Re: Turning Circle
« Last post by John Ratsey on February 21, 2018, 02:12:26 PM »
Check the small print. I've got an early Mk 2 brochure which says 9.48m for SE & ES and 9.88m for the EX kerb to kerb (ie at the tyres) while the Mk 3 brochure lists 10.8m (for all versions) at the body. The body sweeps a bigger circle than the wheels due to the overhang. The Mk 2 EX came with wider wheels and tyres than the SE & ES and consequently couldn't turn the wheels quite as far before hitting something solid.
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Electric cars
« Last post by Jocko on February 21, 2018, 01:54:35 PM »
Some cars are fitted with two. My Volvo had one but its siblings, with a better spec, had two. I noticed that all the electrics were there. The actual light cluster has a knock out in place to stop another bulb being fitted so I "knocked it out" and ended up with two.
Actually, having one, to differentiate it from brake lights would be fine - if half the country were not driving round with only one brake light working!
Honda Jazz Mk3 2015 - / Re: Auto idle stop on CVT, neutral and other issues.
« Last post by Jocko on February 21, 2018, 01:44:46 PM »
I never show any courtesy to BMW drivers. I have to admit it makes me as bad as they are, and I know they are not all as we see them. Still, I have been soured by experience!
Today there was a BMW pushing his out of a very tight side road on the right. As he needed both sides of the road clear to get out, he had to wait until I got past. There was a solitary vehicle coming from the other direction, so I slowed down slightly so he would have to wait on it too, but no, as soon as I passed he pulled straight out into the path of the approaching car. So it was really the other poor driver I inconvenienced.
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Wind powered ferry.
« Last post by Jocko on February 21, 2018, 01:35:43 PM »
They are also starting to produce energy from tidal turbines, which is a much overlooked renewable resource, due in the past to lack of funding and little research.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10