Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Re: Torque Setting
« Last post by sparky Paul on June 21, 2018, 11:26:01 PM »
18Nm or 13 lbf-ft.

Whether you put any anti-sieze on the threads is an old chestnut on here, but any lubrication of the threads can affect torque measurement. Most manufacturers, including Honda, recommend installing plugs dry, and personally I never put anything on them - In 30 years, I have never had any problem when plugs are changed at the correct intervals.
Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Torque Setting
« Last post by Izzy on June 21, 2018, 10:49:02 PM »
Hi Guys, I am going to change the plugs on my GD 1.4 does any one the torque setting for the new plugs and does any one use copper slip grease on the plug threads just asking
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Change in the weather.
« Last post by John Ratsey on June 21, 2018, 09:36:19 PM »
Another potentially relevant thought is that warm weather tends to be associated with little or no wind. While a tail wind helps the mpg, on a round trip the overall effect of the wind is to reduce mpg as the increase in the aerodynamic drag with a head wind is greater than the decrease with a tail wind. And cross winds create turbulance and extra drag.

Nonetheless, I'm impressed by the mpg you are getting in urban conditions. Perhaps the garage and the smaller engine (faster to warm up) both help. A clear road and knowing where it's possible to coast to a halt helps a lot. Unpredictable roundabouts and traffic lights are bad for fuel economy.
Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Re: Ignition Key
« Last post by zzaj on June 21, 2018, 09:26:48 PM »
Well done! Good thinking.
Honda Jazz Mk3 2015 - / Re: Mk2 cvt verses mk3
« Last post by andruec on June 21, 2018, 09:07:43 PM »
I think there seems to be one point where the computer does not know best.

If you are running at about 30 mph and you try to accelerate moderately, the engine will try it's best to respond, but is held back because the CVT won't change down and it maintains about 1600 rpm, until the road speed reaches about 40 mph, thereupon the CVT wakes up and allows the engine speed to increase, thereby generating more power.
That's not the CVT - that's the engine mode. As I say in my previous reply the CVT gives 'the car' the option of how to operate the engine and it seems to prefer staying in Atkison mode. I've developed a technique of a 'mini-kickdown'. A short but rapid downward press of the accelerator appears to convince the ECU that you want to move and it will move the engine into Otto cycle. You don't want a full kick-down but you do need to signal to the car that you want to move.
« Last post by andruec on June 21, 2018, 09:04:32 PM »
That sounds much like my car except no Atkinson. There is a "step" if you are a bit enthusiastic with the right foot. Or even a couple if you   are accelerating hard.

Does anyone know if the MK2 has a torque converter or start clutch CVT?
If you floor the accelerator there will be a kick-down - all automatics should do that. But in the early Mk3s there's also a dead-spot (feels a bit like 'turbo lag') around 2,000 rpm. If I don't prod the accelerator aggressively when leaving a roundabout very little happens. It's not noticeable in the manual version because road wheel speed and gear selection mean you always get the response you want. But with the CVT the car can decide what RPM to use and thus whether to switch the engine to Otto cycle or stay in Atkinson.
« Last post by culzean on June 21, 2018, 09:02:27 PM »
My Mk3 CVT has more bhp and more torque than my wife's Mk1 CVT, but it doesn't feel like in normal driving.

The Mk1 Jazz had a great engine capable of really good MPG, and with the power in the right place for relaxed driving and although later models have more power ( if you rev their nuts off ) and the suspension is better I sometimes miss the MK1 engine when driving my wifes MK2.

Fair to say Autocar does not think much of MK3,  Auto Express a bit better...... non of them like CVT

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/honda/jazz/first-drives/honda-jazz-15-i-vtec-sport-2018-uk-review

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/honda/jazz
Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Re: Anti - Freeze
« Last post by Izzy on June 21, 2018, 08:29:02 PM »
Ah well I have two years to go before change, how is the sg checked on the Honda I have the bubble, floating coloured floats tester will I need to buy another type  ::) 
New Members / Re: Newbie
« Last post by Izzy on June 21, 2018, 08:25:30 PM »
If it is an i-DSi, remember they have 8 plugs, with four at the rear of the engine.

Yes thanks for the heads up I have ordered 8 plugs and will be fitted asap I had it in my mind to change them given the age of the car in relation to the 17500 miles the car has done. They are after all eight years old.
New Members / Re: Another noob
« Last post by RichardA on June 21, 2018, 08:06:23 PM »
Hello and welcome. :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10