Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Weather reports
« Last post by Jocko on Today at 02:45:43 PM »
Jocko's First Rule:

The magnitude of the disaster is inversely proportional to the contingency plans put in place.

This has been found true a hundred times during my adult lifetime.
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Electric cars
« Last post by madasafish on Today at 02:24:39 PM »
Invest in Green Energy - and double up by investing in non Green energy to cater for the 50% of the time Green does not work

Policy of muppets.
« Last post by madasafish on Today at 02:21:54 PM »
Local school  100 meters away is closed today.
ALL roads are clear.
The Met Office got its forecasts and probabilities seriously wrong:
Forecast for yesterday 7mm of snow at 6am. 90% probability. And more rest of day 90% again. And heavy snow this am 90%

Actual results: none, very little and none.

So three events which were virtual certainties did not happen...

Might be an idea to put it in a high gear at low rpm and put your foot down and see if there's any increase in rpm
Like when checking out the clutches on the ictdis
« Last post by Kenneve on Today at 12:43:11 PM »
I think the problem is, a majority of motorists nowadays have no experience of driving in snow, since the frequency of snowfalls, certainly in the midlands/south of the country, is a lot less than years ago.
The situation is not helped by the weather reports put out by the BBC which generally seems to overstate the problem.
Also, Elf & Safety has a lot to answer for, with closing the schools etc, for a couple of inches of snow., bet the teachers still get paid.
I'm old enough to remember the bad winter of 1947 when despite a foot or more of snow, we still walked to school.
Similarly we still went to work in the bad winter of 1962/3.
Oh yes and I've just cleared the drive this morning, I seem to be the only one in the street!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
End of rant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   
Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Re: Spraying WD40 on fan belt
« Last post by Jocko on Today at 10:32:31 AM »
I am quite aware of the difference between timing belts and alternator drive belts.
I certainly was not insinuating that you didn't. What I meant was that for a Timing Belt I would by the best, whereas for a Fan/Alternator belt I would accept any suitable belt of reasonable quality. Such as the SKF belt I linked to (SKF are a reputable manufacturer of bearings, pulleys etc)
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Electric cars
« Last post by culzean on Today at 09:29:15 AM »
So, today , when it's cold and power demand is rising, renewable energy contributes a stonking 13% of total demand...

I am very impressed today, wind just over 8% and solar not even got out of bed yet,  still snoozing while nation energy demand nudges into orange section.  Come on boys,  you need to pull your weight,  Gas, coal and nuclear running flat out and importing electricity from pretty much every neighbouring country...........  my meter will be happy it doesn't have to sort out green electrons from the dirty ones today.
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Weather reports
« Last post by auntyneddy on Today at 09:23:09 AM »
We are extremely lucky to have escaped the snow and ice suffered by some in the UK. Faced with my fortnightly trip down the A30, I googled weather in Cornwall for an up to date weather report on the  A30. Last report 10 am 10th December!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Given that we the motorist is frequently criticised for their behaviour in adverse conditions, when we try and find the latest weather it would be nice if the persons responsible got out of bed and kept it up to date.
I also like the comment that roads yesterday were not being kept clear by motorists as they were all staying at home and not spreading the salt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
« Last post by auntyneddy on Today at 09:12:11 AM »
I am quite aware of the difference between timing belts and alternator drive belts. I was merely endorsing an earlier comment about Gates' belts and the importance of buying the best where possible for essential 'services' as the alternator and water pump.
Having had an alternator belt break at night, dark and raining, it was touch and go to get home. With the miniscule battery fitted to the Jazz I suspect it would be out of the question to get more than a few miles at night in the dark.
There is also the question of cooling, no belt, the temperature soon rises.
Of course at the end of the day it is a matter or personal choice and economics.
« Last post by culzean on Today at 08:23:58 AM »
So just to clarify does anyone want to change their response in case they thought I meant timing belt rather than the fan belt towards the front of the car given that someone said there is no timing belt on this car just a chain?

Was I supposed to have sprayed the Wd40 on something else if not the belt itself.  Feel like a plonker now!  Car still drove ok when I tried it this morning.  Will the car still move if the belt does snap or whatever?

Never spray a lubricant on any belt (although WD is not a very good lubricant in the field of lubrication).

Doubt if the micro V  'auxiliary serpentine' belt will break, the original Honda one will be made of polyurethane which is pretty impervious to oils (timing belts are almost certain to be fully enclosed and are a toothed belt, and do not squeak because they are toothed and cannot slip relative to pulleys) - but will probably have less grip but because of WD will not squeak.  Belts more liable to squeak in cold weather because of extra load on alternator and also because belt material gets harder and less grippy. 

In my experience in industry WD-40 dries to a tacky mess anyway when left,  and attracts dirt like a dirt magnet,  so who knows it may improve grip.  Belt is unlikely to break,  but if it does you will lose alternator,  aircon and water pump,  so alternator warning light will come on and car will continue to work until battery goes flat,  but will probably overheat before then due to lack of cooling water flow.

If you do not feel confident yourself take car to garage......they may just tighten belt a bit.  You have to be careful with modern belts,  they are very strong in tension with little or no stretch,  so if belt is tightened too much it can ruin alternator, water pump and aircon bearings plus the bearing of the idler roller.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10