Author Topic: Keys  (Read 1292 times)

guest7757

Keys
« on: June 21, 2018, 12:24:15 PM »
I have recently bought a 2002 Jazz. I was given 3 keys and 2 remote locking fobs. Of the 3 keys 1 key will start the car and also open the petrol cap, 1 key will open the petrol cap but won't start the car (it just turns over) and the other key starts the car but won't open the petrol cap, This key also has the lock unlock buttons on but doesn't lock the car.

Is there any way I can program all keys to do both the ignition and the petrol cap?

Thank you

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
Re: Keys
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 09:40:03 AM »
The remote fobs and built-on remote on the one key should all be programmable by yourself if they all still work, have power in their batteries and are the correct ones for your car, there is a code printed on the circuit board inside, these should all match. Details of process to program them all to the car are widely available on internet and youtube.
The lock on the fuel cap is purely a physical contraption your keys either fit or dont, probably your key or the lock in the cap has become worn or damaged enough for it to not turn the lock, can't see there is anything you can do about that unfortunately.
I assume (but DON'T know as a fact) that these keys have a transponder or chip of some sort that connects to immobiliser, guessing further your immobiliser is not programmed to receive one of the keys (or the key chip is damaged), I'm not aware of any way to reprogram these yourself without forking out £££ at a honda main dealer, probably not worth the bother.
I did read something on line about disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes, it was a bit vague but stated the electronics then try to reconnect to your keys.
Possibly worth leaving things as they are in case things get worse by tampering, at the moment you have 2 complete sets that allow you to open, start and refuel.
Good Luck and keep us updated.

guest7757

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 11:29:50 AM »
Thank you for your reply. As you can probably tell car maintenance is not my forte :-). I shall take your advice and leave things as they are. I have taken the simple step of labelling the keys so I know which one does what to save my frustration/embaressment again at the petrol station.

I have always had bigger cars ( Vauxhall Omega/ Ford Mondeo ) before and I am amazed at how much room there is in such a compact vehicle. I play in a band and this weekend I got the band gear we would normally squeeze to get into the back of a mondeo into the back of my jazz with room to spare. The fact that the seats fold completely flat makes such a big difference.  It has also saved me money on hiring a skip as I took 2 full loads of waste to the rubbish tip.

Thanks again for your advice.

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 12:06:04 PM »
No worries, I only find things out about cars the hard way myself, I only know about the keys because I've been through it, I agree about the skip thing, mine is a permanent mobile skip, I moved to the jazz from a Saab and a vectra and found it would carry most things they would. Enjoy.

Tags:

anything