Author Topic: Anyone changed Whole Exhaust For their Jazz?  (Read 8830 times)

guest6436

Anyone changed Whole Exhaust For their Jazz?
« on: December 14, 2017, 11:21:34 PM »
In last MOT,circa 1year ago, I had a leak in exhaust, I fixed it myself with just smearing the holes with the cheap exhaust paste and that did the trick to get through the MOT.. However few days ago, My back box just fell off while driving over a hump.. I bought another back box thinking I can just change it myself , Today I went to change it.. darn it... the middle section fell off with just a few touches to it as well, in Short= My whole exhaust system is just rotten  and everything needs changing including the cat section :(

-Is it possible to purchase the rest of the stuff I need and fully change it myself or do I need to bring it to garage to do it? I only have a Jack and a curb to drive it up so can't really get it up in the air very much... Has anyone done theirs themselves on the driveway?

-all of the screws are rotten through, I sawed off the back section screws to get them off, the rest of the screws= same story... I'm  now wondering If I or Someone will be able to remove the old cat from the exhaust manifold without messing the exhaust manifold  up since everything is so rotten?
Maybe anyone has had similar experience, how easy it was to change the whole system and get off all the old exhaust bits which comes after the manifold  connection?

-Also what's the going rate to bring it to the garage to change it? (labour only)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Anyone changed Whole Exhaust For their Jazz?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 07:11:07 AM »
I had the middle section drop off and as the cat flange was rusted solid I changed the cat as well.
I bought all the parts from my local Motor Factors. Middle box cost £30 with gaskets. Kwik Fit quoted £120. Plus a further £128 if they had to replace the back box as well.
The cat cost £85 with gaskets (exchange unit - I had to take the old one back), from same Motor Factors. A local back street garage charged me £50 to fit the system.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 11:47:03 AM »
Access to the cat flange bolts is not great if they need cutting, but with patience and a decent blade it can be done.  O2 sensor wiring is a nearby so gas might not be a good idea which puts off the fast fit garages.  My cat flange was very rusty, to the point the garage refused to touch it and quoted for a new cat as well as mid exhaust.  Lifted the driver's side up quite high at home with decent stands to make life easier and parked inside garage.  Would rather pay money than do it outside in winter without decent supports and time.

After fitting make sure rear and mid section still have a moving spring joint with donut washer between them or the lifetime will be greatly reduced.
--
TG

Jem

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz sport 1.4 In blue! :D
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 03:00:03 PM »
I have had my rear box fall of while driving home on the A11. I saw it rolling to the side of the road in the rear view mirror. That cost about £90for that to be replaced. Recently the mid section went at the joint with the newer back box. At the time of the back box being replaced they said it looked rusty but it could last another year so there was no benefit to changing it.
I just had the mid section done and it cost £65 to get that done.

So in real terms I don't feel it's too expensive to have a garage, who know what they are doing, replace my exhaust and fix it all in place properly. I would imagine that doing it yourself on a standard jack on the road would be very hard work and possibly very dangerous.

rogbro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 05:21:55 PM »
Having almost the whole system falling off ( very very noisy ) on our last Jazz, decided to invest in a new one as soon as I bought this 12 plate EX.     Saw a Kwik Fit one..... Wouldn't have put it on a moped, every bend was flattened. So the pipe bore must have been severely restricted .  Fast Fit in Basingstoke made one one the car in stainless steel.
A real Work of art.

alfy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 sport cvt
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 08:12:53 AM »
Replaced my middle and end sections yesterday. The gun gum that I applied for MOT test lasted a good 8 months. Being Winter I let an Independent garage do the work. 8 months ago when it started to leak I applied plus gas and copper grease in preparation to replace. I will do this on the new exhaust bolts for protection. The garage were able to replace sections without damage to the CAT. The back box was ok, but I had it replaced  anyway. Labour was £60+vat, parts were via Eurocarparts. For the hassle involved get 2/3 quotes from independent garages. On a different thread my rear wiper motor is playing up again, looks like the super glue I applied to the magnet is coming loose. Let me think £124.69+ vat from a  Honda dealer or second hand 3pin unit from a breakers yards? Merry Christmas.

guest6436

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 03:11:58 PM »
I can report back that I changed the exhaust myself, that involved spending half a day creating a PROPER ramps from wood to drive the car up them to lift it really high (ramps were 35cm high). First I looked at the metal ramps you can buy- however Please don't use those craps and risk your life with them, all of them looked such poorly engineered crap which could fail at any time..Good ones start from about 70-80.. I made much better myself, much higher/wider and more secure as well..at least now I have a proper way to lift a car up for next times as well.

Than.. Took the whole exhaust off ,you really need to unscrew the screws from underside of the car for the CAT connector with the exhaust legs itself as the nuts are welded on the exhaust legs so it's just as easy as unscrewing them after a good overnight soak of wd40..I faffed around for some time to access them from the hood- until I realised they are welded on..so skip that!  , It was a real trouble to get the screws off from where the middle section/cat joins tho.. First I tried to remove them/saw them off while under the car -no luck... after I removed the Whole exhaust I spent a good hour with an angle grinder to grind them off properly and bang the screws out- Its not a job when you are under the car for sure! take all the exhaust off as that part is rusted beyond imagination...

Putting it back was suuuper super super easy, took maybe 15mins in total, the hard part was to get the rusted junk off the car. I re-used the cat so changed only the middle section £32 + rear £26  + gaskets/new bolts/screws -£12  , so all in spent £70 . also make sure you copper grease or lubricate the rubber mounts as it makes so much easier to put them back on.

If you have a way to lift your car up securely - Do it yourself, it's really easy and fast once you know how and got enough socket extensions.

tbar

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2005 Jazz SE 1.4(ish)
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 10:09:25 PM »
Hi all,

I just replaced the mid and tail sections of the exhaust on my 05 Jazz. having read this thread I was a bit daunted before starting (I'm just a tinkerer rather than super experienced), but wanted to save money by not taking it to a garage. I brought the new sections on ebay

The nuts between the cat and mid sections were pretty rusted on so I started a few days before the main event giving them a good dose of WD40 everyday to try and help ease them off.

I borrowed a couple of car ramps from a friend and got the front end of the car up - had to drive up fast as trying to go slow I could smell the clutch  :o

I first gave the nuts and thread a good clean up with a wire brush, but spanner and sockets weren't budging them at all. I as a bit worried that I would either have to cut and drill out (as suggested earlier in this thread) or take the a garage for them to do, but my savior was at hand!

Impact driver!!  ;D

My brother has one and it really makes light work of tough jobs. Not the average piece of kit most people would have in a home garage but worth considering if you play lots, or see if a friend has one to borrow.

Once the nuts came off, I cleaned the captive studs up (attached to the cat end) with a die from a tap and die set and fitting the new mid and rear sections was super easy - I even reused the rubber mounts as they were in good condition, just used a flat bladed screwdriver to ease them off and some silicon spray to slide them back on (not sure in necessary but I read it somewhere and had some to hand)

I put new nuts on the studs - they are M10x1.25 which are also know as M10 fine (standard nuts are M10X1.5)

I hope this helps someone :)

Tags: