Author Topic: Spraying WD40 on fan belt  (Read 9759 times)

guest5079

Re: Spraying WD40 on fan belt
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 02:22:28 PM »
Recently, I think, my Brother a Land Rover maniac, he has 3, sent me an article about bearings. No I am not digressing it is just that he had to rebuild the transfer box on his work Land Rover, it is a V6 with specially built body for his forge. He is a Farrier in Canada and so mileages are considerable. Six months after the rebuild the transfer box bearings failed. He was not a happy bunny. Now the point, the bearings were SKF and this has been reported in the UK by Moggie enthusiasts. These bearings were made in China and they were not case hardened, is that the correct term? I know metal is case hardened for certain applications but as to bearings I know not.
So I am not taking issue here but unfortunately a lot of  well known and trusted makes are not always what we believe them to be.  And yes I accept that a lot of good stuff comes from the Peoples Republic.
The problem is even greater in the aircraft industry.
Yes, this is off subject but petrol in Canada is circa 50 cents a gallon and no MOT's.

u587162

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport CVT
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 04:02:16 PM »
50 cents a gallon??? That's cheaper than the US and probably cheaper than Saudi Arabia, are you sure?!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 04:21:38 PM »
Canada is currently $1.03(US)/litre according to Globalpetrolprices.com
http://www.globalpetrolprices.com/gasoline_prices/
Diesel is a little cheaper.

u587162

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport CVT
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 05:52:15 PM »
Driving on hot air?   ;D

guest5079

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2017, 11:06:42 AM »
Unfortunately with more Scots Porage Oats between my ears than grey matter I could well have transposed £'s for cents. Sometimes he speaks in Canadian and sometimes in English so Kilometres and Miles Dollars and Pounds etc.
I will Email him  and ask him for the latest price. It might be few days as he travels quite large distances. He sent me earlier this year photos of a 'Dude' ranch where was shoeing in the Rockies. He lives on Vancouver Island and I think it was a commute of about 200 miles each way. On the other hand he might be snowed in.
He told me the fuel is cheap as it is produced from the Alberta tar sand fields so it is a home grown product and as an aside my late Father in Law lived in a log cabin in Alberta Canada on a 'farm' which his Father got from the Canadian government, where the land had to be cleared in one year. Seen photos etc  He used to tell us of the oil in the water where he lived. He was born elsewhere but three of his Brothers were born in the cabin. He came back to the UK in 1922, I say back as His Mother was born in England and married an German in Canada. Real out back days. Snow, he said in 1969 when a large dollap fell on Cornwall, he had not seen snow like it since Canada.

Tags: