Author Topic: Do you rate your Mk3 Jazz as a refined Motorway cruiser?  (Read 12388 times)

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: Do you rate your Mk3 Jazz as a refined Motorway cruiser?
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2017, 10:33:29 PM »
[quote author=andruec link=topic=9555.msg52948#msg52948 date=1508611099

Coming back today I sat around 70mph where I could which was most of the journey. Audio volume had to be turned up quite a bit but it wasn't unpleasant. Pump to pump was 49mpg although the weather probably didn't help.
[/quote]
It is possible to gear up the audio volume/speed relationship, so that you don't have to adjust it.  However, I've forgotten how I did it!  It must be buried in the manual somewhere.........

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2017, 08:38:43 AM »
The speed/volume adjustment is on by default. Unfortunately it doesn't quite do the job at high speeds.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2017, 11:15:30 AM »
It's on page 318.  I have my volume mainly set to 12 and usually don't need to adjust it on speeds up to 70 mph.  I am fortunate that I don't yet need hearing aids but maybe it would be different if I did.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2017, 11:27:05 AM »
I think I must be driving a different Jazz!
Tyre and wind noise at 70mph are minimal, in fact I commented only the other day to the wife how you can have a conversation without having to raise your voice. Engine noise? You hardly know that the engine is running.
Radio speed/volume is still at default and a set volume of about 9 is quite sufficient.
The ride I find to be very acceptable.
All in all I like my EX.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2017, 11:30:00 AM »
My speed/volume adjuster sits in the front passenger seat. I never need to touch the CD player. Cannot remember when I last had to change a disc!
When I am driving alone I never play music. First car I have ever done that. I like to hear the engine note when I am in town. Easy to stall it otherwise.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2017, 11:35:00 AM »
Tyre and wind noise at 70mph are minimal
Choice of tyre and tyre pressures can make a huge difference here. So too can road surfaces. I never have to raise my voice to talk to my wife. But what noise you do hear in the cabin is predominantly road and wind noise, as against engine noise.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2017, 11:54:21 AM »
Tyre and wind noise at 70mph are minimal, in fact I commented only the other day to the wife how you can have a conversation without having to raise your voice. Engine noise? You hardly know that the engine is running.
Radio speed/volume is still at default and a set volume of about 9 is quite sufficient.
The ride I find to be very acceptable.
All in all I like my EX.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

+1  albeit I have the radio slightly louder.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2017, 12:06:10 PM »
Those who are saying it's quiet - what model do you have and in particular what size tyres? I have the EX-T and that means the lower profile tyres. It might also be worth noting that as I was driving a long distance I was playing music from my phone over Bluetooth (so that the sat nav instructions come over the car speakers). The reproduction quality is a bit poor over BT and I have to adjust the volume to match what my iPod produces. I moaned in another thread that I wish the infotainment unit maintained a different volume setting for each input.

But regardless the noise levels weren't unpleasant and nothing out of the ordinary for a 'super mini'. It would've been perfectly possible to carry on a conversation without raising voices.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2017, 01:07:30 PM »
I have a Mk 1, GD5, which has the 175/65T14 tyres. These are skinny, compared to the tyres fitted to Mk 3 vehicles.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2017, 03:44:56 PM »
The speed/volume adjustment is on by default. Unfortunately it doesn't quite do the job at high speeds.
The adjustment is not just on or off.  You can change the sensitivity.  I increased mine to give better audio at higher speeds.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2017, 04:38:48 PM »
The adjustment is not just on or off.  You can change the sensitivity.  I increased mine to give better audio at higher speeds.

SVC normally has 3 levels and off,  but because exterior noise level depends so much on road surface I find it better to leave on  a low setting and turn the volume knob if I need more, that is why us mere humans beat machines, the SVC needs to monitor ambient noise levels as well as vehicle speed and then weight the adjustment to match human hearing LOL. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 04:47:12 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

nrgmilano

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: SE CVT Mk3
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2019, 09:42:38 PM »
That was  a query i had. Its the wifes car and just driven from Windsor to Edinburgh. Sure from my c class its more noisy but notnthe engine just road noise but have to say after a while it performed brilliantly a cvt average speed 65 sometimes 70 sometimes higher aveage mpg 60.1 but remember its not designed as a motorway cruiser but dealt with it well i have to say

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2019, 09:55:53 PM »
Yes - the CVT is definitely a contributor to relaxed motorway cruising. On the flat, at 70 mph, you are doing 2,500 rpm (ish) whereas in a manual car of most other makes you'd be doing 3,500.

If I did a lot of motorway driving - rep type mileage of 100 miles plus a day - I'd want something bigger and more powerful with a less stressed engine and more metal round me.

But, for a small car, the Jazz is a competent motorway cruiser - and that applies to all marques.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2019, 01:00:14 AM »
i have noticed on the motorway on cruse control if i come to a grade in 6th gear it will ask for a down shift but if i am driving the same route with no cruise it wont

cosb6

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2016 - Jazz EX
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2019, 01:08:35 PM »
The CRUISE will increase throttle to maintain speed as you hit an incline, resulting in the request to change down... without cruise you probably keep your foot in the same place, hence no request.

Tags: