Author Topic: Forward Collision Warning  (Read 2949 times)

guest7677

Forward Collision Warning
« on: June 14, 2018, 10:29:07 PM »
I get the idea behind this and approve in theory but frankly when there is a problem ahead the last place I want to be looking is at the dashboard, which is where my eyes instinctively go when it shows a flashing light accompanied by an alarm. The thing used to trigger quite regularly, always a false alarm and often without obvious reason so I turned it off but wonder if it might be better to switch it to "near".  A head-up display would be so much better and not encourage the driver to take his eyes off the road at a critical moment. Does anyone else find this feature distracting?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Forward Collision Warning
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 06:09:22 AM »
Is this another case of driver "assists" making driving less safe, instead of more?

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 07:00:20 AM »
And you'll probably find it hates it when it snows, as it can cover the sensors ....

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 08:02:29 AM »
Does anyone else find this feature distracting?

I agree. I find it’s prone to false alarms, it can activate if the curve of the road makes the car think I'm about to hit an oncoming car (LH bend) or one parked on the nearside (RH bend), or if I'm moving up to an overtake position. If it activates in a genuine danger situation then your reaction might be slower because it’s been “crying wolf”.

And you'll probably find it hates it when it snows, as it can cover the sensors ....

Snow shouldn’t be a problem for the camera sensors because they are in the windscreen pod which is swept by the wipers. Just how well the system works if there’s heavy falling snow in the camera field of view is an interesting question, but in those conditions most drivers would be being extremely cautious anyway. However you can get condensation inside the sensor windows that interferes with the system (also affects things like the lane change alarm and the auto high beam).

guest7677

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 08:19:44 AM »
Would you think it better to turn the setting to low? (As long as it would not affect the active city braking.)

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 09:00:09 AM »
Would you think it better to turn the setting to low? (As long as it would not affect the active city braking.)
I'm not sure what that setting actually does, the handbook refers to "near" rather than "low" so would that necessarily translate to fewer false alarms ? I'd hesitate to advise on changing it, it depends on your personal appetite for the balance between (possible) reduced false alarms and (possible) reduced safety margin in a genuine emergency. I don't think it'll affect the CTBA, they seem to be separate systems (the handbook specifically refers to the sensitivity setting applying to the FCW, not the CTBA).

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 09:20:17 AM »
Makes you wonder what us poor drivers did before these systems were invented!

guest7677

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 09:24:19 AM »

;D

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 10:33:45 AM »

;D

Would that be before mobile phones?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 11:25:16 AM »
Most definitely. Best device that could be mandated as having to be fitted to every motor vehicle would be a mobile phone blocking device, that blocks all mobile phone signals inside the vehicle. Possibly a transparent metalized thin film, applied to all the glass, so that the vehicle effectively becomes a shielded metal box. The company I once worked for made just such a thing.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 12:23:19 PM »
The one that makes me smile (sorta) is the rear collision warning when you're travelling forward. I mean, it's not like there's anything I can do about being shunted... The beeps that go off when I'm driving in and out of my garage are funny as well. The poor gal seems to be having a fit(*) every time :)

(*)I suppose it should be having a Jazz...

Tags:

anything