Author Topic: Car not requesting oil change for too long?  (Read 9730 times)

Paramonte

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jaz hybrid crosstar
Car not requesting oil change for too long?
« on: February 07, 2024, 01:53:48 AM »
I own an Honda Jazz Hybrid Crosstar from 2022. I bought it new.
The car called for the first maintenance visit around one year later with about 10000 kms. The maintenance procedure in the Honda official dealer was only a software upgrade. They told me the car software would ask for the next maintenance. So 18 months have passed, and the car has not asked for any maintenance, meaning the car is running the same oil for one year and 7 months. Is this normal?  Location is Portugal.

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
Re: Car not requesting oil change for too long?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024, 06:47:32 AM »
Normally engine oil lasts for 20kkm, so every 2 years should be fine in your situation. The dealer must have checked its condition and level.
The service interval counter is reset by the garage and starts to count down from 1 year and 20kkm, whatever comes first. I don’t think it actually measures oil quality.
You can look up when the next service is due; it will pop up automatically when 2000 km or 30 days are reached.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 11:18:11 AM »
I think these systems may also monitors your driving pattern.  Short journeys  with a cold engine ,with periods of hard  acceleration under load  etc may  trigger a service sooner . Cruising  on Motorways with a warm engine  is lower stress  and it might allow more time or kilometers  before it triggers.     
As long as the delay  is ok under  your warranty  or a servicing plan, its probably fine.

But despite what they told you it might be worth checking the maintenance reminder system has not been switched off.  Many owners (like me)  prefer to have it switched off and monitor their own service interval  - annually or  every 12Kmiles/20K kilometers ,whichever comes sooner.   
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

HertsHonda

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX I-VTEC CVT 2017
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2024, 04:51:21 PM »
As Lord Voltermore says: "Many owners (like me)  prefer to have it switched off and monitor their own service interval  - annually or  every 12Kmiles/20K kilometers ,whichever comes sooner."
I too have a disabled (by previous owner?) Jazz Service Reminder so go by every 12 months to perform - DIY Oil Change. Managed to do one outside a week ago - during warmer weather!
Our Corsa nags me every 12 months - distance ignored!

PS how do I Quote just a few words from a Post??

Whiteshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 jazz Hybrid EX Chrystal Red
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2024, 06:02:21 PM »
I too used to be paranoid about making sure my engine oil was changed. I still prefer an annual change, but there have been massive advances in the development of synthetic oils, which are also much much more expensive and completely different to mineral oils. I am no expert, but I do read, and these new oils can cover vast miles (200k in commercial situations) without a problem. There are other reasons vehicles need to be serviced , liability and health and safety are two, plus it is questionable whether the car buying public would believe it, which is probably the reason to stick with annual, or monitoring servicing.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2024, 03:13:00 AM »
Still running round with the original oil after the first year would worry me

Even though engineering tolerances are far more accurate now there still could be some 'running in' metal filings in the oil filter and for a dealer to not perform an oil service at the very least is a concern
Let's be careful out there !

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2024, 07:00:07 AM »
PS how do I Quote just a few words from a Post??

...Just delete the bits in the middle that you don't want and ensure the tags starting and ending the quote are intact. Use the preview to check before you post  :)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2024, 11:08:14 AM »
Still running round with the original oil after the first year would worry me

Even though engineering tolerances are far more accurate now there still could be some 'running in' metal filings in the oil filter and for a dealer to not perform an oil service at the very least is a concern
I would definitely have the  first oil and filter change  done sooner rather than later.  And while the car is under warranty, and up to about 5 years old  a patchy looking service record can have a significant affect on its value.   But when my old Yaris was about  7 years old I took account of low annual mileage and only got oil and filter changes every 2 years or so. But still well under 12k Miles.   But I  did regularly inspect and  maintain other things  myself,such as tyres, fluids, brake pad and disc condition  etc. And it was MOT'd annually.     On the downside when i sold the car at about 12 years old  WBAC regarded it  as a 'partial' service history and knocked about £40 off their initial offer   :P  I'd saved much more than that over the years  ;D
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2024, 02:01:10 PM »
Scrap yards are full of cars with extended service life gboxes and engines where oil not changed for 2 or more years.
I had one in last year a LRover 105k never had oil or a service....savings money.

Tags:

anything