Author Topic: Exhaust Heat Shield failue with video  (Read 5588 times)

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
Exhaust Heat Shield failue with video
« on: January 03, 2019, 01:14:03 PM »
Rattle heard under the car this morning. I found that part of the exhaust Heat Shield has come away. See video below.

Can I safely just remove this whole section?

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Re: Exhaust Heat Shield failue with video
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 03:35:16 PM »
You will need to replace it unfortunately.

Its there for a reason  to shield the heat away from the body

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 04:00:19 PM »
I have used the jubilee clip type hose clamps in the past to hold heatshields in place, if you need to make the jubilee clip longer you can add two together....

https://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nails-fixings/hose-tool-clips/cat840130

Eurocarparts and Halfords also do these clips, you ideally need one that will cover 60mm but as I said you can unscrew them fully and put them nose to tail to make bigger diameter...

This one would probably be ideal
https://www.screwfix.com/p/t-mex-stainless-steel-worm-drive-hose-clips-40-80mm-10-pack/67161
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 04:05:14 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 04:30:28 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I've done a little research and I can see it's an MOT fail to run without the shielding.

This section of shielding is held on by 2 bolts at the back, but the front (where it has failed) is a kind of disc with a large bolt through. Is this disc part of the shield? It looks well rusted onto the car. I've included below a few images of this area.

Regarding the jubilee/hose clips. Where/how would I attach them? There doesn't seem to be an easy fitment point in how it has failed.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 05:04:57 PM »
i was looking at the picture on a small screen and thought heatshield was one under the body attached to the pipe, then you can just clamp the loose end back to pipe with the jubilee clip.  I can now see that the bit that is broken off was attached to car body.  You can try and drill out and retap the existing bolt and get a bigger washer ( or make one out of a piece of metal sheet or maybe your local garage can help. )  You can buy quite large brackets of various kinds from B&Q ( and also 'penny washers' which are large washers with a small hole).

These stainless ones from screwfix are 40mm outside diameter,  you can get larger ones from ebay etc.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-penny-washers-m8-x-1-5mm-100-pack/7591p
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 05:08:56 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 05:25:10 PM »
Thanks again for the reply Culzean.

Watch the 9 second video in the first post a couple times. The disc is quite large (diameter of a can?), and the heat shield seems to have failed all the way around. I'm not sure what I can do with a bigger washer??

I'm not sure how to reattach the shield at this point. The 'disc' and bolt seems quite substantial. I'm wondering if this bolt holds more together than just the heat shield? Looking at the 'disc' from different angles (see photos) it looks rusted well into place.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 05:54:06 PM »
Maybe you can use one of the B&Q brackets ( flat steel ) look on their website, you can use it to trap the two ears that are left ( may have to flatten and bend bracket ) other wise if your local garage has MIG welder they can reunite the bracket and the bit attached to body.

https://www.diy.com/landingpage/what-type-of-bracket-do-you-need

« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 06:00:32 PM by culzean »

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 05:57:41 PM »
My thoughts at the moment are for welding it back on. There does seem to be anywhere to attach clips and there doesn't seem to be any lip around the 'disc'.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 06:59:58 PM »
Had a similar issue on our 2003 Toyota Yaris. I removed the old shield, cut aluminium sheet to replace teh corroded bits, pope rivetted them together, drilled holes for mounting bolts . and refitted..

Passed MOT, works a treat.

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 08:57:49 PM »
I dug out my Haynes manual.

There is very little about the heat shields but there are underbody views..

The 'disc' thing doesn't appear to be there. I wonder if someone has already repaired it by using a large disc/washer thing to hold it in place and now it's failed around it.

Denis

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 09:32:55 PM »
 Damn!
Just read this after having the same trouble a couple of months ago, pulled it off completley and threw it, where the heck do I source a new one!!!

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 09:42:54 PM »
Honda of course

Denis

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 04:05:39 PM »
I meant at a reasonable price  ;)

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 04:23:50 PM »
Maybe find a local breakers yard and ask them to find one for you  - leave your contact details with them

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2019, 07:38:01 PM »
I meant at a reasonable price  ;)

You could always wrap the exhaust in something like this, does the same job of stopping heat from radiating from exhaust to body etc.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=heat+resistant+exhaust+wrap

Tags:

anything