Author Topic: led bulbs  (Read 1433 times)

iceblue

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 2004
led bulbs
« on: December 20, 2018, 10:40:49 AM »
Can anyone recommend any DECENT led bulbs for rear number plate? I've bought a couple of pairs off Ebay which are great at first, but within 2 or 3 weeks they start flickering/flashing. I've gone back to ordinary old fashioned bulbs for now but can anyone recommend good LED bulbs that actually work properly and consistently??

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: led bulbs
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 11:43:12 AM »
Can anyone recommend any DECENT led bulbs for rear number plate? I've bought a couple of pairs off Ebay which are great at first, but within 2 or 3 weeks they start flickering/flashing. I've gone back to ordinary old fashioned bulbs for now but can anyone recommend good LED bulbs that actually work properly and consistently??

Nothing wrong with filament bulbs as other than headlight bulbs they last a long time, especially if you buy branded ones like Philips and Osram - if you buy cheap you buy twice.

if you want good quality LED you have to pay for them,  but IMHO other than brake lights and headlights, and maybe sidelights on GD model ( but only because they are a PITA to replace if they do blow ) I would not bother going LED

https://www.powerbulbs.com/store/category/led-car-bulbs/fitting/w5w-501

read this thread and its links for decent priced good quality LED H4 headlight bulbs from classiccarleds.co.uk

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=10606.msg66181#msg66181
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 11:46:13 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 07:34:23 PM »
The only bulbs I have changed since I've had my Jazz are brake lights (common as the constant on and off shortens the life), and oddly the rear number plate bulbs. Looking back at the cars history it has previously failed the MOT because of a number plate bulb. Not sure why they keep going, should be a low stress bulb? Maybe there's a wiring or water ingress issue.

Anyway if you find some good quality LED bulbs that will last a long time I'll be interested.

Torquemadder

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2003 Jazz S 1.3
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 11:56:37 PM »
Hey I've always found Halford LED bulbs to be very reliable.  I've had a pair of sidelight LEDs in my Porsche 986 for 2 years now.  Forget eBay ones.  I've wasted a fortune on those lol.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 09:16:24 AM »
Hey I've always found Halford LED bulbs to be very reliable.  I've had a pair of sidelight LEDs in my Porsche 986 for 2 years now.  Forget eBay ones.  I've wasted a fortune on those lol.

I bought some sidelight bulbs from Halfrauds. Paid quite a lot of money for them ( over £20 for the pair ) and after 18 months one started to go on and off randomly,  I had the original Halfrauds packaging ( with a picture of the bulb on it ) but receipt had disappeared ( who keeps receipts for small items, especially cash ones ).  Took them back to Halfords and complained ( they had a 5 year warranty ) explained I did not have receipt but they were Halfords own brand, in original packaging and only sold by Halfords and that I bought them as soon as they appeared in the store so could not be much more than 18 months old,  it all fell on deaf ears and for £20 they lost me as a customer.  I even emailed Halfords HQ at Redditch and went to the top ( I was a bit fed up by this time ).  My logical arguments that the bulbs had Halfords on them, original packaging ( I had put the old filament bubs into the packaging in glovebox,  I had to refit those filament bulbs) they had only been selling them for less than two years so could not be over 5 years old etc. etc.  I used to spend hundreds of pounds a year with Halfords ( I got batteries, oil, wiper blades, redex etc.)   But what do I spend now - nothing at all.....  it would have been worth the money for them to get a faulty bulb back for inspection for manufacturing or design faults,  but they missed out.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything