Author Topic: bulb upgrade  (Read 12177 times)

Dustygd3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd3 sport
bulb upgrade
« on: November 24, 2013, 08:55:20 PM »
Hi guys
Been thinking go upgrading my front head light bulbs and side lights too

Has anyone changed there's if so what bulbs u go for?

Cheers

tonytan

• Approved Member
Re: bulb upgrade
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 09:56:33 PM »
I upgraded mine to Philips H4 X-treme vision which was noticeably brighter and whiter,my front sidelight and rear number plate bulbs to led's which I got off ebay but the problem is on the front is they are a different colour to the headlight bulbs which may look odd to some people but it does not bother me at all.The other headlight bulb you could try is the new Osram Night Breaker Unlimited which claims up to 110% more light whereas the Philips is only 100% more. Do not bother with HID/Xenon conversion as firstly they are illegal (and also a MOT failure) and though the light output is much brighter and whiter the beam pattern is not defined and there is too much light scatter that could cause problems to oncoming traffic, I have first hand experience as I had it fitted to my previous vehicle (a VW Polo) and had to have it removed.HID conversions work fine with vehicles with projector lamps but not with clear lenses/reflectors.Try this website for the above mentioned bulbs or even cheaper on ebay www.powerbulbs.com

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 08:41:11 PM »
have tried both phillips x-treme bright and osram nightbreaker,  both well worth the price.  I would say Phillips has more sharply defined beam pattern but nightbreaker has the edge in absolute brightness but a bit 'fuzzier'.   with about 2 hours use per day the Phillips used to last about 15 months on average,  haven't had the nightbreakers long enough (about 5 months) to know how long they may last.  Got them from powerbulbs, great service.

I travel 35 miles each way daily commute on country 'A' roads and on dark mornings and nights I am well fed up with HID conversions in normal reflectors (they just spray light everywhere - which is why they are illegal for road use),  mind you most of the proper OEM projector HID headlights are just as bad and seem to light up the roof lining of the car when they are behind you and are very dazzling when oncoming. I know they are supposed to be self-leveling but it just doesn't seem to work on some very pricey German cars !!! (their direction indicators don't seem to work too well either  :-X )
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 08:49:03 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 03:45:35 PM »
I've also fitted the Osram bulbs to my Subaru - 100% improvement

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 08:21:34 PM »
Only tried the nightbreaker in my old audi before the jazz, highly recommended and were going strong after more than a year. They have a very slight, and i mean very slight blue tinge(you cant see any blue its like they have a mist of blue over the bulb) which wears off after a few months.
But they were better than the manky halfords +40% things which were in.
Some reviews say they blow fast, but just send them back to osram and complain for a free refund  ;)

Anyway I suspect they will be better and im planning to get myself some for the jazz.

Dustygd3

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 10:43:01 PM »
Thanks for the great help and info guys
Going get some on order at the weekend

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 05:25:28 PM »
Is it easy to fit sidelight and headlamp bulbs? Just noticed one of my front sidelights is out.

guest2913

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 07:48:07 PM »
I've changed mine to these ones
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/H4-ABD-60-55W-Xenon-Ice-Blue-Bulbs-pair.html
side lights, they got a deal on these as well, got them in my number plate lights as well
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/501-W5W-Xenon-Extreme-White-side-light-bulbs.html

as good as OEM just give the a blue tint better than what halfords offer, time is the tester!

The bill with postage was just near 23 pound hehe laughing i was!

guest4426

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 10:03:54 PM »
i have fitted osram nightbreakers to my car today and the difference is brilliant, defo 100% improvement

DrShockr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 CVT in Bright Blue!
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 11:25:21 AM »
Would any of you guys be able to upload a few photos of the nightbreakers on your jazz ...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 09:09:24 PM »
Would any of you guys be able to upload a few photos of the nightbreakers on your jazz ...

you can see photos of nightbreaker bulbs on Osram or powerbulbs website - but they look just like any other H4 bulb till you put 12 volts on them LOL.    They are a great bulb and will definitely improve night driving safety,  another one to consider is Philips Xtreme bright.

A night photo of headlights won't prove much as it depends too much on length of exposure etc.  any bulb will seem bright with long exposure and / or sensitive camera.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Dustygd3

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 10:54:29 PM »
We'll after too nights drive home I can't stand it any more lol
So ordered some night breakers + free side lights and post to can't be to bad!

I will pop some pics up when I fit them

guest4161

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 07:34:54 PM »
Just fitted Ring Premium H4`s,much better than normal.

dcdick

• Approved Member
  • GT Rock & Roll shopping trolley
  • My Honda: 2020 HRV. EX 1.6D Reus Black
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 08:30:15 PM »
Osram "Nightbreaker plus" for me.

Not a huge difference but certainly a very worthwhile improvement over standard.

Dead easy to fit on the GE models as well.

Mine cost £13 from fleabay  ;D

Dick.
Always wanted a car when I was a young lad

jonathan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4SE
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 10:14:20 AM »
How do I replace the bulb in the plastic housing of the number plate holder.

Tags: