Author Topic: Oil change  (Read 3624 times)

guest1010

Oil change
« on: September 06, 2009, 08:28:19 PM »
On reading about oil in this link
http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html
I see that after refilling the engine with oil the HT lead and fuel pump fuse should be disconnected and the engine turned over until the low oil pressure light goes out. Then reconnect and run the engine. Do dealers and independents do this as a matter of course or do they  just fill up and fire up?

Marnie

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Re: Oil change
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 10:03:19 PM »
They just fill and fire them up

guest869

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 06:20:33 PM »
They will fill up and fire the engine.

On many engines I build (Fiat, Rover V8, B Series) I adapt things so I can spin the oil pump with an electric drill independent of the engine, then I know oil is around the engine and under pressure before fire up.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 02:23:04 PM »
If you add molyslip (molybdenum-disulphide) to your oil, the disulphide bit is attracted to metal and the molybdenum plates (the slippy bits) rub together instead of metal-to-metal contact.

It's the one additive worth using as it is very effective at stopping 'cold start wear' - because there is already a coating on the bearing surfaces before the oil gets around them.

And don't worry, the particles are very small and easily pass through the oil filter.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1010

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 09:46:01 AM »
I suppose that most would be unlikely to wait the half hour for the engine to drain fully so the best to hope for is that the engine would not be damaged!

Marnie ???

Geoffers

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 05:37:46 PM »
I expect tens of thousands of cars have had their oil changed without the paraphenalia you mention, and none of them will have to any harm.

I certainly never did anything like that in twenty years of running a Triumph Stag and it never came to any harm!

Some people are just unnecessarily ultra-cautious (or pedantic)!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 05:39:27 PM by Geoffers »

springyboy

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 09:18:46 PM »
If the engine has just been rebuilt it would be good to get the oil pumped all round before firing it up, but for a normal oil change there will still be old oil spread all round and this should be sufficient to prevent metal to metal contact until the new oil gets pumped round. If there was a real need to run the engine up to pressure before firing it up then there would be warnings on the oil and filters we buy and we'd have lots of articles on how to spin a motor over without it firing up or dumping unburned fuel in the cat.

Tags:

anything