Author Topic: 2012MY EX Space Saver size?  (Read 16744 times)

guest3250

Re: 2012MY EX Space Saver size?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 11:50:07 PM »
Cool - thanks - I keep reading these messages at night when I can't see so well out there ~ haha!
I remember seeing the wheel brace - just wondering about a lever for the Jack - will have a good nose around in the daylight....

Serously wondering if I need the polysteirene spare wheel filler - the boot seems fine without it
It would free up some space as well....
Anyone using without? - I guess it must be the same as without the spare>? - except with a spare in there
.....why do we have to have the polysteirene??

guest3423

• Topic Starter
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 10:34:45 PM »
Don't have any qualms about putting a space-saver on the front; it will be absolutely fine. You might be interested to read the following, which I posted a few weeks ago.

--------------------------------

"My recently-acquired 2010 EX (16" alloys) didn't come with a spare wheel and so, like many others, I decided that I'd like to have one rather than rely on the can of gunk. There's a lot of information on the subject on this forum, some of which I was a bit sceptical about, so I thought I'd share my experiences, in case it helps.

My overriding principle is that I don't give Honda a penny more than I have to, so I bought, on eBay, a 16" space-saver wheel and tyre from a Mk.5 Astra, which arrived this morning. It appears to be in brand new condition and cost £28.05, including carriage. For those who are interested in such details, the tyre size is 115/70 R 16 92M, and the overall diameter is 22.3", compared with 24" for the car's normal wheels.

I found that it fitted onto my car perfectly, using the normal wheel nuts, and I've just finished giving it a thorough test, both on the front and back of the car. I took it up to about 45 mph and I can report that it functioned perfectly, with no handling, steering, braking, vibration or other issues whatsoever, and no illumination of ABS / VSA warning lights. Perhaps a tiny bit more road noise than usual, but that's to be expected.

It fits beautifully into the well in the boot (after removing the polystyrene insert), and is held down very securely using a bolt I found in my garage and a metal jam jar lid with a hole drilled in the centre. (I had to make a small hole in the carpet for the bolt.) Total outlay: sod all. There is plenty of room in and around the spare for jump-leads, warning triangles, gloves, inspection lamps, umbrellas etc.

I reckon I've saved myself at least £170, and have the additional satisfaction of having given the extortionists at Honda not a penny!"

-------------------------------

By the way, I think punctures are much rarer these days (better tires, better roads). I've only had one in the last 10 years. Finally, I love your magnetic sign idea, though I seriously doubt whether it will make the slightest difference to the behaviour of the average bone-headed lorry driver.

I'm curious how the MK5 Astra wheel fits as that seems to be 5 lug whereas Jazz is 4?

caseyjones

• Topic Starter
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 09:09:34 AM »
Some Astras have five holes - some have four. Clearly, the wheel I bought has four, otherwise it would certainly have been a bit tricky to fit!

I've just had my second puncture since buying the car earlier this year, and I'm really glad I bought that space-saver! So much for my comment about modern tyres not getting punctures!

Tags: