Author Topic: throttle issues  (Read 3221 times)

achilles

throttle issues
« on: April 07, 2012, 03:14:51 AM »
i previously posted (about 2 yrs ago) about my 2005 jazz , losing power and the CEL light coming on. the honda dealer at the time changed the spark plugs and air filter. the problem went away, although on a few occasions it would happen. not enough to give me a great deal of concern. it probably occurred 3 times over the 2 years.  over the past week though, it seems to be a constant problem.  the behaviour of the car is very similar to another post on here about "throttle with a mind of its own". loss of power, engine goes to "limp home" /safe mode. CEL lights up, and the engine appears to be " misfiring", lot of shuddering and vibrations. this time though, turning engine on and off will only solve problem for a short time.

It usually occurs after starting,  when changing up the gears, never down, or when i'm accelrating up an incline after coming around a sharp bend for example.
there is no problem with car idleing or running at 3000rpm.
i have cleaned the EGV and even blanked it off, this has not stopped the problem
the honda dealer is saying it is a THC problem and they have cleaned it, all to no avail. its due to go back to them on tuesday, for another dose of diagnostics.

this evening at work i asked a friend to have a look at it. the car started normally, but by placing his hand  down behind the airbox, on the RHS of the THC and gently pulling it towards the front of the car he was able to trigger the problem. immediate loss of power, splutters and CEL.the amount of forward movement need to set it off is very small
i'm wondering has anyone else experienced this? i read elsewhere on here that leads from the ECU to the THC, could be split/damaged. are they  located  to the rear of the car? tomorrow i'm changing the plugs and looking at that movement issue, and will update if any success.

achilles

• Topic Starter
Re: throttle issues
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 08:06:53 PM »
well changed the spark plugs and no improvement. on examining area around the THC, we found that a yellow&green cable going to the TPS was broken. repaired this cable and car runs like a dream. acceleration has never been as good. hopefully this is the solution to the problem.

guest2765

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 10:16:07 AM »
Glad to hear you got it sorted :)

caseyjones

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 12:16:29 PM »
Very well done for finding that! I'm sure you've solved the problem; it's just the sort of fault that would cause the intermittent symptoms you describe. But what does this say about the geniuses at the Honda dealer? Did they seriously believe they could cure symptoms as serious as yours, complete with an illuminated CEL, by changing the plugs and air filter? What a disgraceful piece of fobbing off, and a casual waste of a customer's money.

Tags: