Author Topic: Ban on gas heating for new UK homes  (Read 9940 times)

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 23 Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Advance in Crystal Black
Re: Ban on gas heating for new UK homes
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2022, 12:04:36 PM »
<snip> the dehumidifier workload will depend on the rate that new moisture is entering. </snip>

... and if the damp ingress is faster then the dehumidifier can extract it then you will never win until the source of the damp is removed.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2022, 02:20:28 PM »
The source of the damp is condensation from human beings. The house is too airtight following the cavity wall insulation, so they have to have the windows open all the time.

The Ebac 2250e with antibacterial filter pack is arriving Thursday. I shall report back when there is further news.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2022, 02:23:36 PM »
What would worry me is the surveyors damp machine when they come to move.

May make it unsellable, especially if the buyers need a mortgage, may get refused.
Let's be careful out there !

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2022, 02:54:08 PM »
Well it will be a much dryer property than when my lad bought it, as this situation was not of our creation.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2022, 08:45:26 AM »
The source of the damp is condensation from human beings. The house is too airtight following the cavity wall insulation, so they have to have the windows open all the time.
Thank you for this clarification. Older types of cavity insulation could cause transfer damp though a wall. Airtightness is a separate issue and those who insulate cavities usually have external doors and windows replaced to minimise heat loss through draughts. Some modern houses have mechanical ventilation with heat recovery units to provide fresh air without the heat loss but a dehumidifier can make a useful contribution towards controlling humidity.

There's some useful guidance (eg extractor fans in bathrooms) in this article https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63642856 and I found this document interesting https://www.labc.co.uk/sites/default/files/zch-thermalbridgingguide-screen.pdf as it highlights where current building practice can reduce the cold spots (eg around doors and windows) which are difficult to fix in older buildings despite the cavity wall insulation and better doors and windows.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

John Marshall

• Approved Member
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2022, 11:26:11 AM »
I have cavity wall insulation. Yes it stops heat from the inside escaping. But it also stops heat from the outside getting in. On many days I have gone outside and thought that it is warmer outside than inside, because the insulation has not allowed the warmth outside to get through to the inside which I am paying to heat

Keep safe
John

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2022, 11:33:39 AM »
I have found that too but if it is that warm outside I am not needing to heat the inside of the house.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2022, 12:02:03 PM »
I have cavity wall insulation. Yes it stops heat from the inside escaping. But it also stops heat from the outside getting in. On many days I have gone outside and thought that it is warmer outside than inside, because the insulation has not allowed the warmth outside to get through to the inside which I am paying to heat
However, you might welcome the insulation on a very hot summer day. Ideally, a house should have the windows (with blinds or shutters) on the south side to catch the sun when available and wanted. My previous house had the main windows west-facing and got too hot on a summer evening and consequently my current house has south-facing windows.

Unfortunately, planners and architects fail to properly consider welcome and unwelcome solar gain and put standard house designs on a map with whatever orientation and layout looks nice on the map. Trees in the wrong places area also a problem.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2022, 12:28:30 PM »
However, you might welcome the insulation on a very hot summer day.
I live in Scotland. What is a very hot summer's day?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2022, 01:12:21 PM »
6th July  ;D

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2022, 01:47:56 PM »
I live in Scotland. What is a very hot summer's day?
Isn't anything over 20C very hot for you Scots?

I was in Scotland in mid July 2021 when there was a heatwave. I found the weather to be pleasant but the local people were complaining of the heat.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2022, 03:04:24 PM »
We live in a 160 year old stone built house..walls up to 1 meter thick in places.

In hot weeks, the house starts off cool and by the end of the week is very warm. I don't know how many hundreds (or thousands ) of tonnes of stone are involved but it takes days to cool down again if the weather changes.

Whiteshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 jazz Hybrid EX Chrystal Red
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2022, 09:16:20 PM »
You may be interested to know that I understand Samsung are about to launch an Air Source Heat Pump that has been on trial in Scandinavia for the past 3 years at -25 degrees and produces constant hot water at between 70-75 degrees. It is potentially a game changer as it could replace gas boilers without having to change central heating systems.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2022, 04:53:39 AM »
Someone needs to invent something as a lot of houses have nowhere to site a large ground based heat pump.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2022, 08:49:05 AM »
Even an Air Source Heat Pump is a large device. We will end up with them stuck on the outside of buildings like you see air con units in Hong Kong and the like.

Tags: