Author Topic: Relay Theft  (Read 3221 times)

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
Re: Relay Theft
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2022, 02:48:15 PM »
When I bought a new BMW Series One MSport, the car that preceded the Jazz, I thought fitting a driveway post would be sensible. I set it in concrete. I attached a bright yellow strap which I placed in the car doorway before it was shut;  this was to remind the driver to remove the post before driving off.
I also bought a steering wheel lock to keep in the car. Since swapping the BMW for the more mundane Jazz I don't really fear that it will get stolen. I only use the steering wheel lock if I have to park in a rough area.
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2022, 03:35:35 PM »
My first thought when I saw it was, faced with a post preventing driving off, maybe opportunist thieves may pass by.
Let's be careful out there !

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2022, 04:15:10 PM »
My first thought when I saw it was, faced with a post preventing driving off, maybe opportunist thieves may pass by.
Yes indeed. You need to make your car more difficult to steal than someone else's.
Neil Ives

guest9236

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2022, 04:47:05 PM »
Yes indeed. You need to make your car more difficult to steal than someone else's.

Especially if it is connected to mains electricity supply that should deter the scroats. It only becomes live if the padlock is removed.by cutting it off.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2022, 03:56:55 PM »
Good philosophy.

My long departed grandfather worked for a city council during WW2 and as such had a car and fuel coupons. Contrary to popular mythology, crime was rife, looting and theft was commonplace, and petrol was a valuable commodity. He put a padlock on the filler cap of his car, very visible and probably a decent deterrent, make it more difficult than the next car. What wasn't so obvious was that the padlock wasn't actually attached to anything other than the cap itself, so you could simply unscrew the cap as normal. As far as I know it worked.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2022, 05:00:32 PM »
I prefer deception over strength sometimes. Embees grandad could have had a false filler neck with a  pint of petrol in it. No damage done breaking in and they think they got all there is  .   Also dummy wallets with useless credit cards and , obsolete foreign banknotes , crap decoy phones and the likes.  Lost count of how many old twits I have seen grimly clutching bum bags and handbags that obviously contains all their wealth. 
When they could just hand the decoy  over to a mugger  with a hidden smirk. 
Or silly safes that you could open with a tin opener thats say 'here is the good stuff'. unless its actually not.

My brilliant idea for the Jazz  was a car cover that disguises it as a builder skip.   But I realise  it would be filled with rubbish overnight and dent the roof. ;D
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Fbiburton

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz cvt
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2022, 08:34:51 AM »
I prefer deception over strength sometimes. Embees grandad could have had a false filler neck with a  pint of petrol in it. No damage done breaking in and they think they got all there is  .   Also dummy wallets with useless credit cards and , obsolete foreign banknotes , crap decoy phones and the likes.  Lost count of how many old twits I have seen grimly clutching bum bags and handbags that obviously contains all their wealth. 
When they could just hand the decoy  over to a mugger  with a hidden smirk. 
Or silly safes that you could open with a tin opener thats say 'here is the good stuff'. unless its actually not.

My brilliant idea for the Jazz  was a car cover that disguises it as a builder skip.   But I realise  it would be filled with rubbish overnight and dent the roof. ;D

Never gonna happen to me! im not rich enough for that kind of car.  :P

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2022, 09:27:12 PM »
Just be aware that many Crook Locks have really weak locks that can be forced with a screwdriver or picked with a simple tool.

Tags: