Author Topic: Volvo to limit top speeds...  (Read 1060 times)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Volvo to limit top speeds...
« on: March 05, 2019, 09:25:19 AM »
As a safety measure, Volvo have announced that all their new models will be limited to a top speed of 112mph.

Firstly, good move in my opinion. But how about...

1. Fit a remote kill switch to the cops can cut your speed or your engine.

2. Make it territory dependent - 112mpph is still  a ridiculour speed in the UK and the USA.

3. What about acceleration? Limiting acceleration could be an issue for overtaking and accident avoidance, but I would argue that overall performance rather than top speed is more of a factor in fatal accidents. I have no evidence to provide this, just my intuition and 41 years of driving experience in a range of different types of vehicles.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Volvo to limit top speeds...
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 09:40:03 AM »
As a safety measure, Volvo have announced that all their new models will be limited to a top speed of 112mph.

Firstly, good move in my opinion. But how about...

1. Fit a remote kill switch to the cops can cut your speed or your engine.

3. What about acceleration? Limiting acceleration could be an issue for overtaking and accident avoidance, but I would argue that overall performance rather than top speed is more of a factor in fatal accidents. I have no evidence to provide this, just my intuition and 41 years of driving experience in a range of different types of vehicles.

How long would it be before the criminal fraternity hacked the remote kill and stopped cars at their leisure, great for kidnapping and women driving on their own...  the cut-out would have to have a unique code for each car ( like keyless entry ) so the police would need to somehow link the number plate to the code for that car,  most crooks use false plates anyway.

Acceleration is one thing but it is the speed that causes the damage in an accident,  the energy of crash is proportional to the square of the speed, so twice as fast = four x damage.  Things happen very quickly at speed and although people say cars are better etc. etc. the sad fact is that improvement in drivers have not kept pace with improvements in cars,  and far too many distractions in modern cars.

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 10:13:51 AM »
2. Make it territory dependent - 112mph is still  a ridiculous speed in the UK and the USA.
I would go along with that but not the other two.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 10:32:32 AM »
UK cars limited to 90 mph would be sensible. Allow a bit for overtaking. Like the Formula E cars that boost could be time limited.. Give you 20 seconds and then it resets for the next half hour!
Emergency vehicles would not be limited, but as soon as you exceed that the data recorder would start (as they do with blues and twos).

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 03:23:13 PM »
Many cars are already limited to 155mph, as are HGV's limited to 56mph, so the technology is there. This only limits the top speed not the engines power output or revolutions so acceleration is not affected.

Vic.

Tags:

anything