Author Topic: Snow  (Read 2290 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Snow
« on: February 01, 2019, 06:55:54 AM »
I see the south of England has got some snow. Everything else of the news is stuck in at the end. Surely cancer screening not being carried out properly is a much bigger story. The established media is fixated on the "South".
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 06:59:20 AM by Jocko »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Snow
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 09:40:31 AM »
We've had nothing here, fortunately.

What is it with people these days, an inch of snow and they're abandoning cars all over the place. Why can't people just drive sensibly, get where they're going, and not treat it like some sort of apocalypse? It is winter for heaven's sake!

Mind you, the stupidity of some people knows no bounds. About a week ago, there was black ice all over the place around here, I witnessed one 4x4 driver in front of me decide he was overtaking all the cars doing 30mph, only to deposit his shiny new Range Rover in the hedge bottom 200 yds further down the road at the next bend. Six hours later, I was making the same journey, and there was a Vauxhall Mokka in exactly the same spot, only he had hit the electricity pole and snapped it in two. I bet that rattled his fillings!

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 09:48:59 AM »
I see the south of England has got some snow. Everything else of the news is stuck in at the end.

Quite rightly Jocko.  I live in the south and my life has been ruined by this snow ;)

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 09:55:52 AM »
I see the south of England has got some snow. Everything else of the news is stuck in at the end.

Quite rightly Jocko.  I live in the south and my life has been ruined by this snow ;)
For many it has, but it would not have got the same coverage if it had been north of Watford Gap.

hemming

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 10:06:25 AM »
I agree that the media are Southern- (and specifically Southeastern) centric. On the other hand it does reflect the spread of population.
 Being in the South West I am happy to be somewhat removed from the rat-race anyway.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 10:16:44 AM »

For many it has, but it would not have got the same coverage if it had been north of Watford Gap.

You mean there are actually people living north of Watford,  you would never know it from news compiled in London.

You expect to look on maps and see 'here be dragons' on areas 'oop north'.

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/37086/what-is-the-meaning-of-the-phrase-here-be-dragons

https://brilliantmaps.com/north-london-uk-stereotype/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 11:53:40 AM »
The NHS is in perennial crisis..always has been. SO none of its failings are new (see contaminated blood- if it had been a private health care company, it would be bust long ago)
Whereas snow happens only a few times a year and rarely in the South East.
Journalists live and work in the South East..

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 01:35:24 PM »
The NHS is in perennial crisis..always has been. SO none of its failings are new (see contaminated blood- if it had been a private health care company, it would be bust long ago)

I am confused what GPs do these days, when I was growing up our local doctors had open surgeries in a morning and afternoon as well as appointments, they went out on house calls and whatever day you went you could bet the same doctors would be there.  Fast forward to now and our doctors will give you an appointment 1 or 2 weeks down the track, no good trying to see the same doctor because they only seem to be there 3 days a week, they have loads of helpers in the form of practice nurses etc.

I know from my wife who used to work in hospital system that many NHS staff 'moonlight' at private hospitals ( they used to call Nuffield the 'golden nugget ' ) as well as getting loadsamoney from NHS.

Going back to GPs, they had a massive pay rise a few years ago, had their working hours cut and were put in charge of budgets,  but when I go to the surgery I would like to see a doctor not an accountant in a white coat.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 02:02:56 PM »
Not an accountant in a white coat.
Would you like me to send round some of the men in white coats?  8)

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 02:22:00 PM »

I am confused what GPs do these days, when I was growing up our local doctors had open surgeries in a morning and afternoon as well as appointments, they went out on house calls and whatever day you went you could bet the same doctors would be there.  Fast forward to now and our doctors will give you an appointment 1 or 2 weeks down the track, no good trying to see the same doctor because they only seem to be there 3 days a week, they have loads of helpers in the form of practice nurses etc.

Have a close friend who is a GP and basically it's down to 'complex health problems'.  He particularly highlighted type 2 diabetes, which is heading towards 10% of the population, and leads to various other serious issues.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 03:45:19 PM »
My surgery is excellent. You have to phone up first thing in the morning and you get an appointment that day. If you want a particular doctor for ongoing treatment, you can go on line and they have selected appointments for the following week. If you just want to chat with your doctor you can arrange a telephone appointment. The senior practise nurse can prescribe certain medicines, so if it is just antibiotics or the like, she will check you out and prescribe, if necessary. And of course, here in Scotland, all the prescriptions are free.

Tags: