Author Topic: Sport nav updates  (Read 1684 times)

guest7816

Sport nav updates
« on: July 20, 2018, 05:46:42 PM »
Hi
Looking to purchase a nav sport
Does it have a dab radio?
What is the situation with the map updates
Thanks

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
Re: Sport nav updates
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 08:22:18 PM »
I presume they all have dab radio, my 1.3 S has one as standard, it's useless out here in rural Norfolk, every time you go around a corner you lose the signal, it works fine in the larger towns tho.

guest7816

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 10:17:32 PM »
Thanks

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 07:19:43 AM »
I presume they all have dab radio, my 1.3 S has one as standard, it's useless out here in rural Norfolk, every time you go around a corner you lose the signal, it works fine in the larger towns tho.

When I am in poor DAB reception areas the radio automatically switches between DAB and FM as required. My garage is an example, sometimes it switches to FM as I leave the garage but it has switched back to DAB within a few hundred metres. Although I live in a strong DAB signal  area I suspect it is my sectional metal door rolling over the top of the car and blocking the signal. This has occaisionally happened with both my Jazzes, also in some hilly rural areas.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 07:24:56 AM by Skyrider »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 12:20:23 PM »
DIY satnav updating should be feasible unless Honda has messed things up with the refresh. These instructions https://www.hrvforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=409&sid=d5a87f08b1d477966f72664e616ce0b3 relate to the HR-V which is the same as the Mk 3 Jazz in this respect.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 02:13:21 PM »
http://public-service.net/docu/DABillusionsPSR.pdf
https://medium.com/@tgheretford/dead-and-buried-fd85514a4fa7

I find it funny that DAB is referred to by professional in broadcasting as 'Dead And Buried' - mainly for its shortcomings,  not least of which is bad quality. Apparently DAB has been pushed by commercial interests lobbying EU ministers,  it has spread not due to technical excellence but because of vested interests and the well know ignorance of politicians on scientific and technical matters.

FM is here for a long time yet,  and other techs will take over from DAB.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 03:53:32 PM »
We have got two mains powered DAB radios in the house, both with purpose bought aerials.
The DAB performance of both these radios is poor with inconsistent reception at all times of the day and night.
The FM performance is excellent and we can't see any better quality from the DAB radio when it works satisfactorily.
My son has a Civic with a DAB radio and it fades at random.

Vic.

Tags:

anything