Author Topic: How thirsty is the CRV?  (Read 3535 times)

guest5079

How thirsty is the CRV?
« on: April 03, 2018, 10:01:53 AM »
Both my Wife and I suffer from joint problems and are beginning to find entry and egress from our Jazz a problem. Looking around at what is available, I have thought of a CRV. Not new but maybe a Mk3 automatic. Although the experts differ in their reviews I still want a Honda if possible. It seems the petrol auto although OK suffers from problems in the autobox and fuel consumption. I will not even consider a diesel as I was very seriously ill after an incident involving diesel.
Any thoughts will be gratefully received.
What I do find somewhat puzzling is it seems Citroen/Peugeot, Vauxhall and several others have a form of I shift in their cars advertised as automatic and yet Honda ditched it very quickly.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: How thirsty is the CRV?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 09:14:11 PM »
Honest John's real mpg is probably the best source of info https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/honda. Click on the generation of the CR-V which interest you and then you can see reported mpg for the different versions.

The HR-V is significantly more frugal than the CR-V while having higher seats than the Jazz. However, even the older ones are not much over 2 years old and priced accordingly (but I wouldn't recommended any 65 reg as they were the first off the production line and have had more than their fair share of bugs).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 11:26:59 AM »
Thank you for that but being the anorak I am I have checked several road tests etc on the CRV and there seems to be some discrepancy. I was hoping some one on the forum had experience of a CRV.
Honest John claims the I shift is rubbish, mine isn't and as PSA fit something similar and have done so for a while I suspect it is a case of personal taste creeping in. Some people love VW I dislike them intensely so it is horses for courses.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 11:42:56 AM »
I think the Honest John figures are only a rough guide. I looked into this and you are asked to enter the mpg as recorded by the onboard computer. In almost all my recent cars this has been nearly 10% out. Knock 10% off the Honest John figures and you have something to work with.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 01:04:27 PM »
I popped in here to look something up and spotted your post. Check this link out for real mpg figures from lots of real owners.
http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/cr-v

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 02:38:01 PM »
Had a couple of CRVs. Petrol one I had in 1998 was incredibly thirsty - 23mpg. Diesel one from 2010 was incredibly frugal - up to 60mpg. Can't speak for a recent petrol automatic.

I went from my CRV to a Jazz, then a HRV and now I'm in a hybrid RAV4, which is 2.5 petrol engine and for me is getting around 38-40mpg in real world driving. Less on the in town commute and more on long journeys. Great car, thoroughly recommended but not cheap to buy as a hybrid.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 06:18:58 PM »
We have a 2008 2.0 petrol automatic CRV  and the mpg is a constant 31 mpg, according to the dashboard display.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 09:10:28 AM »
Thank you all for your input. Firstly a RAV 4 was considered but if we think Honda hold their price, Toyota's certainly do.
Thanks to Jocko for his web connection, certainly a very detailed coverage. In each and almost every case fuel consumption is on the lower side of the 20's so that is now ruled out. It does seem that the secondhand petrol car market is pricey with stacks of diesels trying to be off loaded.
We need an auto although both of us have FULL licences.
Nice to hear from you Jocko.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 10:56:46 AM »
What I do find somewhat puzzling is it seems Citroen/Peugeot, Vauxhall and several others have a form of I shift in their cars advertised as automatic and yet Honda ditched it very quickly.

I must admit, I like the idea of these automated manual gearboxes, but looking at older car as I do, it quickly becomes apparent that they suffer from problems later in life. The Peugeot Citroen EGS and the Vauxhall easytronic seem to be particularly problematic.

It doesn't help that many garages have little idea how to work on them, with even normally straightforward jobs like clutch replacement requiring main dealer diagnostic equipment to relearn the clutch biting point. Cars with gearbox problems can often be bought very cheaply due to the potential repair costs, with main dealers regularly quoting for complete replacement gearboxes. Quotes can easily exceed the value of cars more than a couple of years old.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 10:58:58 AM by sparky Paul »

Izzy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 SE Jazz
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 05:24:21 PM »
I have just sold my 2010 CRV (47k from new) petrol auto the only reason I sold was the MPG being very low at 32mpg no problems with anything the car was very reliable although the price of lubricant for the car was very expensive for both auto box and rear axle oils hence me doing the major service myself don't forget its a heavy car.

Tags: