Author Topic: Are Honda going down that slippery slope?  (Read 2369 times)

guest5079

Are Honda going down that slippery slope?
« on: September 03, 2016, 11:48:24 AM »
My Brother is a Farrier on Vancouver Island. He uses a Land Rover V8 for his work vehicle, with petrol at less than £1  a gallon it is rational given the huge distances he covers. He has just sent me an article about the capacitors being offered on the market. A man in the UK, bought a replacement  capacitor for his Land Rover distributor, it failed within a very short time. He took it to pieces and found it was cr*p. Enquiries reveal that a lot of automotive electrical bits are made in China. It seems that they are rubbish, now onto Canada.  He tells me that Honda, in their stationary engine have been caught out using cheap Chinese parts. This information comes from a repairman living on Vancouver Island, who does Honda warranty work and has come across this. It seems there, in Canada, it is possible to buy a posh version and a cheaper version of say lawnmowers both with a Honda engine. The cheapo, one is allegedly fitted with a Chinese made Honda engine. It is of poor quality. What my Brother is amazed at is the seemingly acceptance by Honda of this state of affairs given that Honda has in the past jealously guarded it's reputation for reliability.
Now, the item about the capacitors is in a British magazine, as to the Canadian Honda story, I have no reason to doubt what my Brother states. He has a lot of very eminent engineering contacts and is a very well respected member of the Vancouver Island fraternity. He dislikes Chinese imports with a vengeance and I know this to be true, because it has been reported in the UK. After buying a well known brand of bearing to rebuild his transfer box, it failed after a very short time. The reason, the bearing was of poor quality and had not been hardened correctly. Made in China. He was not amused as all he got back was the cost of the bearing. It takes a bit of work to strip and rebuild a transfer box on a Land Rover. Surely Honda have not gone down the road of so many others in the quest for economies?

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Are Honda going down that slippery slope?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 12:05:32 PM »
Everyone should be wary of SH!T parts made in China, our company had press tools made there and they are Crap, it is even a nightmare for Aerospace where they have to be sure parts are of exactly the quality they specify and if badly made Chinese parts get into either the manufacture or repair market there is gonna be a massive tragedy.

Western businesses with their greed for extra profit, and western consumers with their demand for ever lower prices have created a monster by moving technology to China wholesale,  if China had to catch up like the rest of the world did they would still be way down the 'biggest economies' list.  We have given China a place in the world it does not deserve (look at its human rights) and it is now threatening USA over Taiwan and making territory grabs in the area.  All for a few quid off an I-Phone,  the next global conflict could be between USA and China when China tries to annexe Taiwan.

Everyone rushed into China falling over themselves to get cheap labour, I just hope they rush out as fast when the dream crumbles,  but a massive amount of damage has been done which can never be reversed.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5589

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 12:09:39 PM »
I cannot comment directly on the issue you are pointing to but I know for a fact that you can buy Honda power products which are quite expensive but you can also buy a 'powered by Honda' product for much less money.

In this case I don't know what percentage of parts are actually supplied by Honda or does it simply mean the engine blueprint was supplied by Honda and they are duplicating them in their own facilities. Being the largest engine manufacturer in the world surely doesn't mean they have endless capacity and maybe for cheaper alternatives licence their technology?

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 04:31:51 PM »
To illustrate Culzean's point, given the recent news of Rolls Royce aero engines being problematical, it seems that all the large companies are party to the special arrangements by countries trying to attract multinationals.
Ford produced the Transit at Southampton since it's conception in 1966. Then because of a large donation the Transit is now produced in Turkey, which at the moment is very unstable, as to quality I have no knowledge.
Now back to Rolls Royce. A young man who lives in Derby, worked his apprenticeship with a Ford main dealer. In later years he decided to apply for a job with Rolls Royce Aero engines. Very soon after, his worth was recognised ( I don't know how much Ford's reputation helped' JOKE) He was then transferred to research and development. Now he commutes between the USA and the UK trying to sort out problems with aero engines. It seems that the USA has a large research testing facility. I believe RR has put on hold because of Brexit building a facility here. This person told me that in order to gain a large order for RR engines by a far eastern carrier RR had to build a plant in the far east. Nothing but problems mainly with manufacturing quality. I don't know what the current problem is except it's concerned with the turbine blades. As an aside it was stated the the American carrier was using the aircraft in different operating conditions to what they stipulated. Of course it's RR that get the blame. A few years back there was the scare in Australia, it wasn't RR's fault but I believe failing to do the job to specifications. One can go on ad infinitum but the multinationals still carry on in their own sweet way!!!!! Money money money. So perhaps it is not Honda that is to blame using cheap bits but their contractor cutting corners. Whatever, it is the customer that has to pay.

Tags: