Author Topic: Google Chrome  (Read 2268 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Google Chrome
« on: August 09, 2010, 08:07:44 PM »
For years I have suffered from really slow internet speed on my BT line via AOL.  I put it down to BT line because I have done various speed tests on internet sites and never got over 1Mb download (although I pay for 8Mb) - I did complain to BT and AOL,  and AOL reduced my charges.

But about a month ago I found out that you can download Google Chrome browser for free, so with nothing to lose I gave it a try, I still have to have AOL open but use Google Chrome (access via desktop icon) for browsing.  Well I am amazed how fast my connection has become, pages just fly open now and I am very pleased with Google Browser - definitely worth a try.

I never suspected that the AOL browser was the bottleneck - Did AOL know all along that it was their fault and that's why they charged me less?
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Re: Google Chrome
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 10:28:43 PM »
Used AOL for many years but a couple of years ago suffered from too many disconnections so decided to give them the boot.

Joined Talktalk who give broadband for free as part of a phone/broadband package and have had no problems since.

Also I kept my email account with AOL for free.

I have used google chrome, internet explorer and AOL browser's and they all seem pretty much the same speed wise.

Geoffers

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 10:38:52 PM »
it may be that the AOL browser has amassed a ton of temp files that are causing the bottleneck. Although Chrome is reputed to be faster I have yet to see any real use experience that supports that.
Incidently, and I know it's pedantic, you are not paying for 8mb, you are paying for upto 8mb. The final speed is determined by the distance back to the exchange and wether all your line is copper. There is still a lot of ally in BT cables!

PS TalkTalk is AOL!

culzean

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »
I use disc cleanup utillity to get rid of temp internet and system files about every 2 weeks, and even after a clean AOL is still slower than a sleeping snail !

The only thing I changed was browser and I was amazed at the difference.

By the way, if you try Chrome and are wondering how to get your favourites from your present browser into Chrome, just open both and drag and drop them into chrome bookmark folder.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 07:49:31 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Geoffers

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 05:40:08 PM »
Good on yer culzean!
These days, after almost 30 years of messing with computers, I no longer seek the finite answer to solving a problem. If something works, then I just accept it!

Be lucky!

Tags:

anything