Author Topic: 17year old insurance cover for Jazz  (Read 7943 times)

guest6395

17year old insurance cover for Jazz
« on: October 19, 2016, 01:47:47 PM »
Hi
I've got 15 years no claim but want to add my 17 year old learner son to insurance -  I've been quoted £550.
I had a BMW 320mSport I was quoted £5700...yes £5700 :o
Anybody got any good sources for insuring a young driver on their Jazz?

guest6316

• Topic Starter
Re: 17year old insurance cover for Jazz
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 01:58:44 PM »
Although you have a superb record of no claims, having your 17 year old son as a named driver on your insurance is going push up the premium. Not a lot you can do but shop around, but I would guess its not going to yield much. Where you have lots of experience your son unfortunately does not and that's what will make it expensive.

Good luck with it I hope you can finish up with a 'reasonable' premium. The quote for £550 is probably as good as it will get.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 02:37:38 PM »
Seems reasonable. 

Will be cheap as it gets while a supervised learner, when he passes it will go through the roof.  A 998cc Corsa EcoFlex 65hp with a black box beckons if he wants a premium less than £1000pa.   My neice's premium got nudged up as she often drove home between 11pm & midnight from her local cinema job when others were leaving the pub.
--
TG

guest6395

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 05:57:53 PM »
Yes -  preparing myself for the hike once he passes but as he'll be away studying I will opt for day rate insurance after he passes.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 08:17:58 PM »
I would suggest once he passes, let him have his own policy, try Quinn Insurance, SwiftCover and Adrian Flux. I would then put as many named drivers with good driving records as possible on the policy.

That's what we did when our kids were 17, their friends were being quoted £1600+, our kids were paying under £1000, but having driving instructors for parents helps.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

• Trader
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 02:42:15 PM »
Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. We have a number of exclusive schemes that cater for young provisional drivers. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Daniel.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 10:33:07 AM »
After having shopped around for cars and insurance when my 20 year old son passed his driving test I found the following...

1. £1000 to buy a 15 year old Corsa or Clio, insurance around £3000 p.a.

2. £3000 to buy an 8 year old Jazz, insurance around £1000 p.a.

Seems that insurers believe that no-one wants to nick a Jazz, and any young person wanting a Jazz is inherently a sensible driver. In my experience, that turns out to be true.

I thought it was better value to have a newer (and better) car (albeit depreciating), than throw all our money at insurance.

We went with Admiral Multi-Car cover for my Jazz Mk2 (now an H-RV) and his Jazz Mk1.

Now entering the third renewal (fourth year) with them, and having shopped around, I still find them great value, considering all the cover (including business use for both of us) and his element has come down to £450 p.a.

Of course we have had no claims and he is now 23, but I think you would agree that's a massive reduction for him as he has had his own No Claims building up for three years now.

Having said all of that, I think I will get a quote from Adrian Flux as it is always worth getting a comparison.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 10:37:36 AM by richardfrost »

Tags:

anything