Author Topic: Mild Green Fairy Liquid  (Read 3547 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Mild Green Fairy Liquid
« on: May 01, 2018, 08:31:34 PM »
Having lurked on the edges of the car detailing scene for a few years now and having decided to adopt some techniques to avoid scratching the paint unnecessarily I came across this YouTube channel. The guy is a keen detailer but likes to bust myths.

His latest myth busting is the idea that dish washing detergent will strip all protection from your car. As his test shows it clearly does not. Interesting because I used to use fairy liquid and, I must admit, if the car had been waxed and/or polished it still continued to bead up nicely. Maybe Fairy Liquid is OK after all!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Mild Green Fairy Liquid
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 08:47:50 PM »
I was always under the impression it was the salt in washing up liquid that was the issue. It was a case of washing your car in salty water!

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 08:57:33 PM »
You had me googling frantically with that reply Jocko.

According to this it's nice salt not corrosive!

https://www.morebikes.co.uk/3729/can-clean-bike-fairy-washing-liquid/

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 09:00:37 PM »
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 09:07:43 PM by peteo48 »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 09:08:17 PM »
Some washing up liquids do contain Sodium Chloride (Morning Fresh for instance), so you need to be careful what you use.
http://www.pzcussons.com/en_int/sites/en_int/files/140408%20MF%20Ingredients%20Declaration_0.pdf

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 09:18:31 PM »
Yes - I was always careful to use Fairy Liquid. Hands that do dishes and all that. ;D

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 09:55:53 PM »
A dishwashing liquid is solving grease from our dishes, so it will effect any protection on your car with oils in it. Just a little every time you wash you car with it.

My opinion is that dishwashing soap is for dishes and car soap for cars. ;)

The only way to strip an LSP completely is using a cleaner polish.

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 10:24:52 AM »
I think you are probably right Jazzway. My reading of the video was that the presenter was making the case that they don't strip the car of protection - some people seem to think you can use washing up liquid to remove wax and it won't do that - not straight away anyway.

The video put me in mind of a friend of ours who cleans her Mercedes convertible with Fairy Liquid every week without fail. I must admit it always looks better than you would think!

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 01:23:47 PM »
How long it takes a protection is stripped off the car with dishwasher soap depends of course on more things - durability (of what’s left of it) of the protection, how much soap is used per wash and how often the car is washed with it.

Btw, if there is not much soap used i think the soap of a coin (self service) carwash is stripping an LSP quicker than a hand-wash with dishwasher soap. The car soap used at a carwash is more aggressive because people want a clean car in a few minutes. ;)

The video put me in mind of a friend of ours who cleans her Mercedes convertible with Fairy Liquid every week without fail. I must admit it always looks better than you would think!
If there is no protection, then there is of course nothing to strip. A clean car always looks better than a dirty one, but if she would wash her car with a car soap with wax it would look even better. ;) And i am not convinced with dish washer soap for a car since one of our neighbours use it every other week on his car - the car looks great when wet, but as soon as it is dry the car is dull oxidized.

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 01:48:07 PM »
Yes - I suggested that to her. Just use a wash/wax would probably keep the car looking OK and a bit shinier. I think what her example proves, though, is that washing is the most important part of car care - get that salt, traffic film, dust etc off on a regular basis.

She always uses Fairy though - both to wash her dishes and the car!

Tags: