Author Topic: Another Jazz owner  (Read 5259 times)

SteveOne

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Jazz ES+ CVT
Re: Another Jazz owner
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2018, 02:06:17 PM »
Thanks for all the comments - they're very much appreciated.
>>I find my steel wheels, with trims, a pure pig to clean. So much so, I leave the trims off during the worst of the winter weather. I found alloys much easier to keep clean. I used Autoglym Alloy Wheel Seal. Just sprayed it on after every washing and the next time I came to wash the wheels, the dirt just floated off.<<

I would normally take alloys off every 6 months and clean thoroughly - then polish with autoglym.  I'll look out for their Alloy Wheel Seal, thanks.  Never bothered much with steels+plastic trim, I just jetwash them and don't really care much beyond that  :)

Culzean - thanks for the pictures, I will be watching the discs.

I'm also considering putting something over the airbox intake - some sort of mesh.  I've had problems with rodents before and it looks easy for them to get into the airbox.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2018, 06:37:00 PM »
Autoglym Alloy Wheel Seal.
I think it has been replaced with their 945106330 Wheel Protector.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2018, 09:08:31 PM »
I was put off the CVT by all the reports of it revving too much - but I found the opposite to be true, it cruises at very low revs, perhaps the use of revs when needs is all the more apparent, but is certianly no problem for me.
The Mk 3 Jazz has to rev the engine to get useful power due to the Atkinson cycle mode at lower revs (more efficient but lacking power). The Mk 2 powertrain is much more progressive. If you aren't heavy with the right foot you can go most places without the engine exceeding 3,000 rpm.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

SteveOne

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Jazz ES+ CVT
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2018, 11:59:20 AM »
The Mk 3 Jazz has to rev the engine to get useful power due to the Atkinson cycle mode at lower revs (more efficient but lacking power). The Mk 2 powertrain is much more progressive. If you aren't heavy with the right foot you can go most places without the engine exceeding 3,000 rpm.
Ahh - that's interesting. I did wonder how Honda had improved the fuel economy on the Mk3.  If they've used a pseudo-atkinson cycle then they should have increased the capacity of the engine, as Toyota have done.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2018, 02:44:12 PM »
Ahh - that's interesting. I did wonder how Honda had improved the fuel economy on the Mk3.  If they've used a pseudo-atkinson cycle then they should have increased the capacity of the engine, as Toyota have done.

Honda have used 'Atkinson' on petrol Civics since 2006 (8th gen) and IIRC MK2 Jazz from 2008 may well have it as well (certainly MK2 Jazz had i-VTEC as opposed to standard VTEC) - using the VTEC system to allow inlet valves to stay open at lower revs into compression stroke and allow some of the 'charge' to be pushed back into inlet manifold to reduce the pressure but not the compression ratio,  this reduces pumping losses at lower revs (power wasted by engine sucking against a closed throttle butterfly) by allowing butterfly to remain open and limit engine power by amount of energy allowed to remain in cylinder instead.. 

an interesting technical article from Temple Of Vtec Asia (this site is a must if you love Honda)

http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/RiVTEC/index.html

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 05:54:58 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest7675

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2018, 08:15:16 PM »
So is the 1.5 jazz a single or twin cam engine.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2018, 08:36:38 PM »
So is the 1.5 jazz a single or twin cam engine.
According to http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/jazz/specifications.html it's "Chain Driven DOHC". Expand all the specs on that web page and scroll down until you find the engine info.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2018, 09:30:59 PM »
Having read the Ivtec article, it perhaps explains why this engine has very little engine braking when descending a hill?

guest7675

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2018, 05:39:14 PM »
The 1.5 cvt can slow you down going downhill using the paddleshift mode.

guest7675

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2018, 04:12:48 PM »
 Anyone coming new to the forum have they put off buying a new jazz due to some negative reliability problems in the mk3 jazz posts it has not put me off but i was thinking that having past japanese built  cars and motorcycles were so reliable.  :o

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2018, 05:16:26 PM »
Anyone coming new to the forum have they put off buying a new jazz due to some negative reliability problems in the mk3 jazz posts it has not put me off but i was thinking that having past japanese built  cars and motorcycles were so reliable.  :o

I was not put off I’m on my 2nd mk3 Jazz having changed from manual to cvt ,not had any of the reported problems with either of them (so far !) I think forums tend to amplify any problems as people will be more likely to post if they are not happy

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2018, 07:07:37 PM »

I was not put off I’m on my 2nd mk3 Jazz having changed from manual to cvt ,not had any of the reported problems with either of them (so far !) I think forums tend to amplify any problems as people will be more likely to post if they are not happy

+1

As someone who remembers how bad cars used to be. I am eternally grateful to Japanese, and Honda and Toyota in particular for the step change in style, performance, quality and reliability - I don't give a FF if mirrorlink, Bluetooth, lane departure warning, speed sign recognition or auto headlights work or not,  I want a car that will get me from A to B reliably and not cost the earth to run.  We have two, a Jazz and a Civic.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 07:49:54 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2018, 09:34:11 PM »
As someone who remembers how bad cars used to be. I am eternally grateful to Japanese, and Honda and Toyota in particular for the step change in style, performance, quality and reliability.
Which reminded me that one of the Flanders & Swann sketches from the early 60's suggested doing MoT tests on cars as they came out of the factories (which got a good laugh from the audience).

Tags: