Author Topic: Clunking noise when setting off  (Read 13815 times)

Gerred

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz MK3
Re: Clunking noise when setting off
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2018, 10:49:00 AM »
It is a real shame that this issue can't be fixed. The car has been released almost 3 years ago and there is nothing that the dealer can do. My warranty will expire soon. I am very disappointed by Honda.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2018, 11:46:52 AM »
It is a real shame that this issue can't be fixed. The car has been released almost 3 years ago and there is nothing that the dealer can do. My warranty will expire soon. I am very disappointed by Honda.
Have you actually been to your dealer about it ? If you've reported it during the warranty and given them a chance to fix it, you'll be in a stronger position if it recurs outside the warranty.

My position:
1. Noise became obvious during early 2017, transmission mount was replaced Aug 17.
2. Noise recurred during 2nd quarter of 2018.
3. Dealer swapped the mount out for one from a demonstrator that doesn't have the problem in June 18. No recurrence to date.
4. Dealer decided they need to replace the swapped mount onto the demonstrator so they can sell it, so they've decided to fit a new one to mine anyway; car is in with them today to have that done.

I think the dealer's doing all they can to help. The Honda mothership tells them that mine is the only case they know of (but you & I & the guys over on the FitFreak forum know different !). They won't commit themselves about what the position will be if the problem recurs after warranty expiry, but I will argue strongly that it's an "original sin" problem that I've given them every chance to resolve.

None of which enhances Honda's reputation.

Madelvic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: EX Navi
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2018, 09:11:54 AM »
We had/have this problem too.  Engine mount replaced.  Car judders when reversing, think something else has failed.  Gear change is a dog, always has been.  We are on our third Jazz and I'm starting to hate this car.

I certainly wouldn't recommend one

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2018, 09:58:34 AM »
If this is your third, the first two couldn't have been too bad. Looks like you have a duff one this time.

Twd99

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2016
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2018, 08:11:58 PM »
Hi Posters,

I had mine fixed recently with the same problem as you all described.

I had the noise replicated when the mechanic was sitting in the passenger seat. He asked me to apply gas and the back of and the apply gas. Basically the noise and judder noise was repeatedly reproducible. Then mechanic says it  is the exhaust system may be loose. He took the car onto the ramp and tightened something. He then says I also need a new gearbox mount.
But when I drive the car home the noise has gone. To me it is a loose exhaust system that he has tightened. The following weeks I also had the mount replaced. Noise has not returned...

So for you guys which had the mount replaced,  and if still have problem. Try and tighten the exhaust system.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2018, 10:59:30 PM »
for you guys which had the mount replaced,  and if still have problem. Try and tighten the exhaust system.

Nothing new under the sun, my 1960s mini had a clunky exhaust due to engine movement. In fact you could get a bracing strut kit to attach the cylinder head to the bulkhead.

And you can still get them, maybe you will be able to get them for a Jazz in 50odd years. :-)

http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Engine/Stabilisers_mounts/Stabilisers/MSSK1300.aspx?100201&ReturnUrl=/shop/classic/engine/stabilisers~mounts.aspx|Back%20to%20shop

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2018, 11:12:51 PM »
Hi Twd99, and welcome to the forum.

In your case if the noise disappeared after only having the exhaust adjusted, then that sounds like the mount didn’t need doing, but I suspect Honda’s standard response now for this sort of noise is to replace the mount anyway. Glad you’ve got it fixed.

In my case the dealer did indeed suspect the exhaust and tried his best to prove that’s what it was. However his conclusion was that the exhaust was OK and the issue was the transmission mount. That’s now been replaced for the second time and I’m in “wait and see” mode, noting that last time it took several months to recur. Hopefully that’s fixed it, but we’ll see.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2018, 11:16:23 PM »
I hope the chance of two faulty replacement mounts is negligible.

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2018, 08:27:54 AM »
Pedants’s corner: actually, the probability of having two faulty mounts is 100%, because I’ve had two fail (the original factory-fitted one and the one fitted last year). I’m hoping that it’s the probability of failure of a 3rd one that’s negligible. :D

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2018, 10:15:07 AM »
Pedants’s corner: actually, the probability of having two faulty mounts is 100%, because I’ve had two fail (the original factory-fitted one and the one fitted last year). I’m hoping that it’s the probability of failure of a 3rd one that’s negligible. :D

The key is "replacement mounts", no reference to the original duff one. :-)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2018, 11:21:59 AM »
No problem, hopefully Honda have given their mount supplier a good kicking and there are no more duff ones in the supply chain.

Twd99

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2016
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2018, 05:58:55 PM »
Love king at the gearbox mount shown in other  website:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/94249-gk-mtx-clutch-transmission-clicking-noise-long-rant-2.html

Suggesting that the bolts is coming loose that's why it's making a creaking noise. I thought NK it might be worth applying some locktite (nuts / bolts adhesive) when tight down the bolt to prevent it becoming loose due to vibration.

Look like cars only experience noise when they accrued the mileage. My didn't make any noise at 7k miles. It only started at 10k miles.

Gerred

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz MK3
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2018, 08:09:36 PM »
I was visiting my dealer just a few days ago, there is no fix offered by Honda here in Germany.

Paulwhitt20

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Various
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2018, 01:12:22 PM »
Finally got this fixed. New gearbox mount. Replaced under warranty. Noise gone but gear change is still stiff. It was much smother on the curtesy car we had.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2019, 11:08:54 PM »
As described earlier in this thread (Aug 2nd 2017) I had a transmission mount replaced under warranty which seemed to fix it, but over the last few months it’s gradually come back. So another dealer visit will be needed
Well now. It’s been back to the dealer, and they have again diagnosed the noise as coming from the transmission mount ... the same one that they replaced in August last year. Latest wheeze is to swap the mount with one from a car that they believe doesn’t have the problem to try to work out whether the mount itself is faulty. We’ll see, but I am not impressed. Perhaps I need to switch this thread into the one about the Mk 3 ruining Honda’s reputation.

how is the noise now? is it just the transmission mount or anything else? (faulty clutch or pressure plate etc) i have the same noise as the fitfreak video, i thought it was the anti roll bar or something until i heared the video

it just happens when taking off from a stop and not driving over speed bumps or anything else

thanks

and paulwhitt20 glad you finally got it fixed, so do honda dealers know about this fault now and will know what to do if i go in ?

im glad it isnt anything too serious, just annoying to have the noise

ive had this 68 plate from 16 miles on the clock and now has 650 miles after 3 weeks and the noise was there virutually from the start

thanks guys

« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 11:30:18 PM by monkeydave »

Tags:

anything