Author Topic: Placed a deposit on a jazz - advice please  (Read 9292 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Placed a deposit on a jazz - advice please
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2019, 12:43:21 PM »
Hybrid Electric Vehicle, Plug in Hybrid Electric Vehicle and Battery Electric vehicle.

guest7494

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2019, 12:58:50 PM »
Hybrid Electric Vehicle, Plug in Hybrid Electric Vehicle and Battery Electric vehicle.

Boy am I out of Touch,
thanks Jocko

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2019, 05:48:23 PM »
With falling residuals on ICE cars, GAP insurance is becoming to be essential for those with PCP finance deals.

A neighbour is coming to the end of a PCP on an Audi TT, they are facing a shortfall of several thousand pounds, just to hand the bloody thing back!

I had a diesel Qashqai that the book value was less than the price for me to pay, so I just handed it back. The finance companies problem then with regards to any shortfall, so I would thought that your neighbour could do the same?

To be honest, I thought that when I spoke to her. She probably has excess mileage in that figure too, but she seems to be under the impression that her business PCP contract is not going to cover the shortfall in value.

AlexS

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: HONDA JAZZ 1.3 I-VTEC S 5-DOOR 2017.
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2019, 01:33:46 PM »
Alex Shirley

Hey I have another question.
Looking at the manual (for 2017 HONDA JAZZ 1.3 I-VTEC S 5-DOOR manual gearbox) I noticed the recommended engine oil (apart from official Honda) is 5W-30 or 0W-30.

I've got a big bottle of 5W-40 however, which apparently is more suitable for warmer temperatures according to here:
https://www.carcareninja.com/5w30-vs-5w40/

Should I use it? (See attached photo). I have quite a lot of it. Based in UK.

Thanks

« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 01:39:19 PM by AlexS »
2017 HONDA JAZZ 1.3 I-VTEC S 5-DOOR - Orange Sunset II

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2019, 02:07:01 PM »
In 3 years, I've never added oil, apart from annual servicing.  I doubt you will need your bottle.

AlexS

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2019, 02:26:49 PM »
In 3 years, I've never added oil, apart from annual servicing.  I doubt you will need your bottle.

Understood. Would still like to know though if anybody uses this grade or has used it/knows the detail. Appreciated.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2019, 03:42:37 PM »
According to the manual for my 2006 Mk 1, I can use anything from 0w-20 to 5w-40, for all European weather conditions. I would happily use the oil in my engine regarding engine protection. However, thinner oils are specified to improve fuel efficiency, so lower oil viscosities should give better mpg. I use 5w-30 because my engine has done 112,000 miles.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2019, 04:53:02 PM »
The mk3 engine will be designed for 0W20 to scrape the last 0.001% of MPG,  personally I use 5W30 in our jazz MK2 and Civic.  Just got some Castrol Magnatec 5w30 A5 stop-start oil from Tesco at £17 for 4 litres ( half price ) apparently you can leave it is for 20,000 miles, but I won't. That article you linked to suggested changing oil every 5,000 miles, must be an old article ( or American, they seem to recommend short oil changes, must be for oil companies to sell more ). I used change oil every 10 to 12,000 ( twice a year up until a couple of years ago when I retired ), but now once a year is plenty and then some.

IMHO the oil will be ok, the 5W refers to cold viscosity to get around quickly on cold starts, the 40 refers to hot viscosity, but I doubt it will get hot enough in UK to warrant 40, but if you want to use it you may drop a few % in MPG, but it won't harm the engine.  I still do no fully trust the 0W20 and thinner oils, and will not go below 5W30...especially in UK where -5deg C is considered cold.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2019, 09:08:49 PM »
The mk3 engine will be designed for 0W20 to scrape the last 0.001% of MPG,  personally I use 5W30 in our jazz MK2 and Civic.  Just got some Castrol Magnatec 5w30 A5 stop-start oil from Tesco at £17 for 4 litres ( half price ) apparently you can leave it is for 20,000 miles, but I won't. That article you linked to suggested changing oil every 5,000 miles, must be an old article ( or American, they seem to recommend short oil changes, must be for oil companies to sell more ). I used change oil every 10 to 12,000 ( twice a year up until a couple of years ago when I retired ), but now once a year is plenty and then some.

IMHO the oil will be ok, the 5W refers to cold viscosity to get around quickly on cold starts, the 40 refers to hot viscosity, but I doubt it will get hot enough in UK to warrant 40, but if you want to use it you may drop a few % in MPG, but it won't harm the engine.  I still do no fully trust the 0W20 and thinner oils, and will not go below 5W30...especially in UK where -5deg C is considered cold.

I have to change the oil on my Jazz. £17 for 4 litres is a good price. I see they call it stop/start oil rather than high performance (Edge). Is there any real difference in them for routine driving?

AlexS

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2019, 06:49:05 AM »
Found this bit interesting. Bold itallics are mine.

"When you buy a new car, change your oil at 3,000 miles to remove metal particles from the engine break-in process. There might be a grain of truth to this, according to the experts at Blackstone. Oil samples from engines during the first 3,000 miles of driving show elevated "wear-in" metal levels, coming from the pistons and camshafts, says Ryan Stark, Blackstone's president. But he added, "To me, it doesn't make that much difference because if the filings are big enough to cause damage, they will be taken out by the oil filter."

However, a Honda spokesman says its cars come from the factory with a special oil formulation for the break-in period. Honda advises owners to not change the oil early."

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2019, 08:57:39 PM »
Found this bit interesting. Bold itallics are mine.

"When you buy a new car, change your oil at 3,000 miles to remove metal particles from the engine break-in process. There might be a grain of truth to this, according to the experts at Blackstone. Oil samples from engines during the first 3,000 miles of driving show elevated "wear-in" metal levels, coming from the pistons and camshafts, says Ryan Stark, Blackstone's president. But he added, "To me, it doesn't make that much difference because if the filings are big enough to cause damage, they will be taken out by the oil filter."

However, a Honda spokesman says its cars come from the factory with a special oil formulation for the break-in period. Honda advises owners to not change the oil early."

They say not to use fully synthetic oil for running an engine in as it is 'too good' and won't let anything bed in... same when I had my new motorbike, bed it in with semi synth and then after 1000 miles change the oil to something better.

The thing about the tighter tolerances on modern engines and oils getting ever thinner is that the size of particle that can cause damage is smaller than ever.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 09:15:49 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2019, 10:24:38 PM »

I have to change the oil on my Jazz. £17 for 4 litres is a good price. I see they call it stop/start oil rather than high performance (Edge). Is there any real difference in them for routine driving?

For the record, I left a message with Castrol tech line re the oil in question thinking it would simply disappear into a telephonic abyss never to return. Surprisingly, they rang me back this morning and gave me the low down on the Stop/Start A5 oil. Long story short, it is fine though I did not get a definitive answer on which is the better oil other than 'it depends on the car and how you drive'. I see the sump capacity including the filter is @3.8 litres so that should work out quite well. Thanks.

Tags: