Author Topic: Reversed into  (Read 8864 times)

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 23 Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Advance in Crystal Black
Reversed into
« on: November 30, 2023, 07:27:52 PM »
Damn! While stationary my wife was reversed into resulting in a broken bumper and (according to the insurance company) a total write off  :(

We are with Adrian Flux so have their claims management working on our behalf but have to wait and see.

Any idea what a 09 iShift with ~43000 miles is worth? Apart from this damage its is (was) in very good condition

Beachball

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 i vtec navi
Re: Reversed into
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2023, 06:06:40 AM »
Sorry to hear of your dilemma Mr Onion.
Mines a 2019 Jazz and had a rear end shunt whilst in Mcdonalds.
No one around when we returned to car.
Rather than lose some of my no claims and increased premiums,had a brand new bumper fitted and sprayed(pearlescent white),a bit more expensive.
Total cost was £900.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2023, 08:51:50 AM »
Any idea what a 09 iShift with ~43000 miles is worth? Apart from this damage its is (was) in very good condition
Really sorry to hear of that Mr Onion. There must be more damage behind the bumper itself, as I can't see how just a bumper would result in a total loss. Insurers these days repair with used parts whenever possible, and a used bumper would be c<£200.

Options for settlement may include buying the car back at salvage rate and using the payout to repair the car. It will have a Cat D marker on it, but that's no big deal with the age of car.

If you go the valuation route, then you need to get evidence of market value ready. This would take form of adverts for similar cars on Autotrader, Ebay or Motors.co.uk etc. I'd start getting those together now, screenshots etc will do, so you have an idea of figures.

@Beachball, the hit and run is terrible. I can never understand people that do that. I think you did the right thing not claiming. These days it's just not worth it unless the damage is substantial or there are other parties involved and you have to report the incident.

Mr Onion

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2023, 09:48:23 AM »
Thanks for that. I have had a look on classified and a similar car in comparable mileage and condition are in the£6-7k bracket, but I will look some more.

Examining the car more closely this morning (it was a bit too dark yesterday) I do wonder if there is damage behind the bumper as its been pushed back and the bonnet pushed up slightly (but it still closes)

Needs a strip to examine it properly so I am on the the Claims management next to let them know what I have found.

GBH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX Auto
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2023, 10:19:51 AM »
Don't have much to add to what has already been said above (at least you have the other driver's details, so Adrian Flux should be chasing them / their insurer for the costs so you shouldn't lose any NCD).

Searching Autotrader for valuations is a good call to question the reason for a write-off.

It is a long time since I had an insurance claim and on reading other websites, things have changed since then but once had to get two quotes for repair to my (Renault 16) and the difference was over ten times between that of the main dealer and a small repair shop.

You don't say which bumper needs replacing, although there may be little difference in the costs, but a parking "bump" shouldn't have caused structural damage. However reading on other sites about cars being written off it seems that this appears to be the usual insurance company first reaction for "older" cars so you need to press for repair, although I would have thought that someone such as Adrian Flux would be accommodating towards you buying back the write-off to arrange your own repair.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2023, 10:30:48 AM »
I had to remove the rear bumper on my 2012 Jazz  - identical - nearly - to a 2009 one.
There are LOTS of clips. I forget how many but in the region of 20 plus. You can safely assume most will be broken by the force of impact or on removal.
The backing steel is probably bent.
There are some plastic brackets.
Any reversing sensors - if fitted - may be damaged,

So parts alone c £1200 plus labour say 4 hours at £50- £75 /hour say £250. Total £1450. repairs.Plus spray bumper £200;  £1650 ish.
Value after repairs? £1750 tops.
Not worth paying a garage to do the job.

If you can diy, buy it back and diy using good used bumper and new fittings.

(did that on our 2003 Toyota Yaris after front end collision.)

GBH

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2023, 10:36:42 AM »
Trying to juggle typing a reply here with having to answer questions about one Son's problems buying a flat and the non-receipt of part of a Christmas present we have bought for another son meant that I have only just seen you post about it being damage to front bumper and possible bonnet hinges, so may complicate cost assessment.

Mr Onion

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2023, 11:05:51 AM »
Its the front bumper

The bonnet opens and closes OK but the alignment feels a bit off so until its examined properly who knows

GBH

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2023, 08:08:26 AM »
I see what you mean about the bonnet alignment. Not major damage but not quite right. As you say, until a body shop has had a proper look then it is impossible to determine if the slam panel has moved.

Mr Onion

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2023, 10:11:24 AM »
. As you say, until a body shop has had a proper look then it is impossible to determine if the slam panel has moved.

From the little I can see I think thats the case.

Mr Onion

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2023, 04:42:45 PM »
Well, its being written off as unrepairable and is already at the pound. Just got to wait to see what the first offer will be so I can reject it LOL

New Jazz ordered for early Jan delivery, so I had better pop over to the mk4 forum to see whats what

Mr Onion

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2023, 12:31:23 PM »
Settlement of £5k5 is in my bank. Exactly the value I stated on the insurance form, and far more that I expected them to offer.

Yes, I could have had the car back and get it repaired locally but heaven knows how long that would have taken, and we do need the car. Plus at her ripe old age (which I know is nothing for a JAZZ) no doubt the MOT advisories would increase year on year.

Being philosophical it was probably for the best, its only a lump of metal after all.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2023, 12:35:38 PM »
Hopefully you'll be blown away with the MK4 driving experience and modern tech

Just learn how to turn off RDMS
Let's be careful out there !

Mr Onion

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2023, 01:18:51 PM »
Just learn how to turn off RDMS

... and having looked up what it is,  I think its top of the "things I must do straight away" list

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2023, 01:41:18 PM »
Unfortunately it's every journey

My older Jazz has a physical button to start the procedure off, newer Jazz has a different location, maybe touchscreen ?
Let's be careful out there !

Tags: