Author Topic: 08 CVT-7 Jazz Mk1 - Good buy?  (Read 9579 times)

guest7355

Re: 08 CVT-7 Jazz Mk1 - Good buy?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 01:04:31 PM »
Been doing some digging on the first one I posted. Ad says "long MOT" but I got the reg off the dealer and it expires in March. I guess that means they've been sitting on the car for a while and that gives me more leverage to negotiate? Could I push them to have the MOT renewed before I buy?

It does have a couple of blips on the MOT history too - they don't sound concerning to me but I'm no expert (parking brake efficiency twice but I'm guessing that's to do with it having low mileage i.e. sat for long periods with the handbrake on?. Reg number is SV08XKO if any of you want to take a look.

Also ran the reg through a couple of valuation sites and won't be paying a penny over 4k I think - they generally came in at around that price from a dealer.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 01:36:43 PM »

I also think that 'stealers' know the Jazz is popular as a second/used car and play that card for all its worth in the knowledge that they are generally very reliable and therefore lower risk.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 01:58:53 PM »
Been doing some digging on the first one I posted. Ad says "long MOT" but I got the reg off the dealer and it expires in March. I guess that means they've been sitting on the car for a while and that gives me more leverage to negotiate? Could I push them to have the MOT renewed before I buy?

"Long MOT" might mean he will put a full test on it anyway. If not, and the MOT is a bit on the short side, you could either push for an MOT, or use it as a stick to beat the price down. I agree that £4k is top retail money for this, I would go in lower with cash - especially if it's a non-franchised dealer.

The only issue I can see on the MOTs is brake pipe corrosion. Some testers are a bit over-keen on this, but you can probably expect some expense replacing these over the next few years. Car was registered in Aberdeen, so I would be having a look underneath for any signs of more general underbody corrosion. The other brake related issues are as a result of low miles and/or standing, as you suspect.

Make sure the car is hpi (or similar) checked, particularly with low mileage cars. Occasionally, repaired vehicles can turn up with low miles due to the time going through the insurance write off and subsequent repairs.

guest7355

• Topic Starter
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 02:28:18 PM »
Shall I get the HPI check myself or is it something the dealer did and will have details of?

guest7355

• Topic Starter
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 03:24:19 PM »
Also if I did find corrosion underneath is that a complete deal breaker or just a way to get the price down?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 03:37:17 PM »
Also if I did find corrosion underneath is that a complete deal breaker or just a way to get the price down?

You will normally find the rear torsion beam member looks a bit tatty and corroded but it is thick material and not a worry,  rear brake pipes where they go onto torsion beam and join up with flexible,  someone at Honda thought it would be a good idea to strip the plastic coating off the last 150 to 200 mm off the steel pipes and that is where they corrode and fail MOT.

I also think that 'stealers' know the Jazz is popular as a second/used car and play that card for all its worth in the knowledge that they are generally very reliable and therefore lower risk.

Yeah, the Jazz does keep its value because they are normally pretty trouble free even when getting long in the tooth.  Also the interior space is equivalent to a class above - they are called a supermini but would shame a car like a Focus for usable interior space. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 03:42:13 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 03:50:58 PM »
Shall I get the HPI check myself or is it something the dealer did it and will have details of?

Dealers normally do them as a matter of course, and by all means ask to see it. If you ask them if the car has ever been damaged or written off and they confirm that it hasn't, get them to put it in writing at the point of purchase and you should be fine. If you don't ask the question, it can be a very grey area.

I wouldn't worry about doing a check yourself if buying from an established dealer.

Buying private is another matter. Unless the car is only a few hundred pounds, it's worth the few quid it costs doing a check... if only to make sure there is no finance or "logbook loans" outstanding. Logbook loans are not legally enforceable if a car is sold, but that doesn't stop them sending heavies round to put the wind up the new keeper.

If the dealer has the full logbook, it's worth having a look at it, but this applies more to private sales where the seller certainly should have the logbook in their possession.

If the car has ever been an insurance write off, it is clearly declared on the front page. If all is okay, all you should see is one line, "1. Declared new at first registration". Also check the issue date matches the date of last change of owner - if it doesn't, then the logbook has been re-issued to the current owner. They may have lost the original, or they may have handed it to a logbook loan company and applied for a replacement.

It depends how bad it is. "Seaside cars" can be terrible, and can give major headaches later on, but you never know for sure where they have lived. The place of registration is only that, where it was originally registered.

If corrosion is excessive, it is usually mentioned on an MOT, and brake pipes are normally the first safety-related items that show signs. It's not that uncommon on the rear pipes, but the MOT also mentions a front pipe too.

If you can have a look, or get someone to have a look under the rear, you should expect to see large suspension components with lots of surface rust, and there will be some rust on the body edges at that age, but most of the underbody paint and underseal coating should still be visible. If you see more rust than paint on the body, you have a problem.

guest4871

• Topic Starter
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2018, 05:27:54 PM »
If you are anxious about buying a car, from any dealer or privately, I suggest you consider:

https://www.dekra-expert.co.uk/vehicle.inspections

For not a lot you'll get an awful lot and a great degree of peace of mind.

They are highly regarded, independent, very knowledgeable  and you get to talk to the inspector who will run through the report with you. It might save you money if not worry.

They do the AA vehicle inspections for the AA and then the AA charge you more!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2018, 06:07:11 PM »
I wouldn't consider a car from a dealer without  a year's MOT (or near as). Tell them you want the Honda dealer to do it, see what their reaction is!

RScorpio

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2013 EXL CVT. Previously Honda Jazz 2004 SE CVT
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2018, 09:01:49 PM »
I have got an even older 2004 CVT model which I had purchased close to 2 years back with 89k on the clock from a used car dealer. I had paid exact £2k for it which I felt was a bit pricey for a 12 year old car, but as it was with a sunroof which I fancied and I was also getting a new MOT and 6 months warranty included so still went ahead with it...

The car ran fine for a few months but did have a minor problem developing relating to the brake light indicator turning on and off randomly while driving. Luckily the car's warranty was just a few days from expiry so went back to the dealer who got it rectified..I also had the rear exhaust come off from rust about a year back which i had to replace. So far have spent about £500 on repairs, servicing and replacing all tyres. I have to go for another MOT in a couple of months time, so I will see how this one goes, but the car is running smoothly with no CVT judder issues (touchwood!) otherwise and am now on 113k..No regret of buying it so far and is great from a family perspective.. I will definitely next be getting a newer MK2 jazz model which has an even bigger sunroof once this one goes, as I can't  see any other model in the market which has everything I can possibly need and can trust..

My suggestion is that it is definitely worth getting the car professionally inspected before purchase especially for corrosion if it will only cost about £100 odd and as you are looking to spend a good few thousands. I think its also worthwhile haggling for a slightly longer warranty to be included especially if the car is not going to be used much, so that any problems discovered will be covered by the dealer straightaway..Good Luck!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2018, 09:20:28 AM »
I wouldn't consider a car from a dealer without  a year's MOT (or near as).

I agree. It does seem normal procedure for a dealer to get a car tested before handing it over, unless it has been tested in the last couple of months.

Your link to the previous MOT history can provide very useful information. Dealers often have a cosy relationship with one MOT tester, and the MOTs almost always come with zero advisories. Dealers usually dispose of any previous MOT paperwork that comes with the vehicle, unless the MOTs are absolutely squeaky clean.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2018, 09:25:28 AM »
I wouldn't consider a car from a dealer without  a year's MOT (or near as).

I agree. It does seem normal procedure for a dealer to get a car tested before handing it over, unless it has been tested in the last couple of months.

Your link to the previous MOT history can provide very useful information. Dealers often have a cosy relationship with one MOT tester, and the MOTs almost always come with zero advisories. Dealers usually dispose of any previous MOT paperwork that comes with the vehicle, unless the MOTs are absolutely squeaky clean.

Owing to the fact that dealer can be prosecuted for selling an unroadworthy vehicle I would be very surprised if they did not put it through MOT when sold, even if it was only an ar3s covering exercise.  Now people can go online and see MOT history it is hard to hide previous records, and advisories are shown.

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:30:14 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 02:29:36 PM »
Owing to the fact that dealer can be prosecuted for selling an unroadworthy vehicle I would be very surprised if they did not put it through MOT when sold, even if it was only an ar3s covering exercise.  Now people can go online and see MOT history it is hard to hide previous records, and advisories are shown.

It's surprising how many don't consult the online MOT history before buying, or even know about it. Whilst most dealers do put a full test on, my point was that these MOTs are usually devoid of any advisories.

Then again, some of the tin pot backstreet dealers still don't bother at all, if there's a good amount of test left. I guess they're happy to take their chances and cross their fingers that nothing falls off. Realistically, the worse that can happen to the dealer is they have to take the car back and refund, even if Trading Standards get involved. The few dealers that TS do prosecute these days are the really persistent offenders with no scruples whatsoever.

guest7355

• Topic Starter
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2018, 07:23:46 PM »
Hi all an update - I went to see the 08 today. Car is in pretty nice condition for it's age I couldn't find much corrosion anywhere and had a good poke around. Worst was the exhaust which all looked to be surface and a few minor looking brackets and such under the bonnet.

It drove smooth as well, gear changes took some attention to even detect, even when I purposely tried to confuse it which is a far cry from my golf even after the gearbox was replaced. I'm very impressed in that department too.

Hit a road block when trying to cut a deal though. The salesman didn't want to know. He had the autotrader valuation all queued up and ready to "prove" that it was worth the full 4495. I had already seen that and noted that of all the free valuation tools I tried, autotraders came out the most expensive by a few hundred quid. The most I could get out of the guy was that he wouldn't let it go for anything that wasn't in the 4s. So I told him I was going to see another car (the 07 sport model ) and left for now.

Not sure how to proceed from here. The car was great and I would have bought it then and there for the right price, but the guy didn't seem to want to know. Maybe I gave too much away... I'm not very experienced in the art of negotiation.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2018, 07:30:37 PM »
It drove smooth as well, gear changes took some attention to even detect, even when I purposely tried to confuse it which is a far cry from my golf even after the gearbox was replaced. I'm very impressed in that department too.
The CVT is a stepless 'continuously variable transmission'. There are no gears as such so the transmission would appear to be very smooth.

Vic.

Tags:

anything