Author Topic: Forgot to pay vehicle tax on time  (Read 770 times)

FordPrefect8

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2012 EX 1.4 Manual Red
Forgot to pay vehicle tax on time
« on: September 07, 2020, 12:46:38 PM »
I can't seem to find any reliable answers anywhere for this but I might have missed tax payment date for my motorbike by 5 days, didn't use it in the meantime though as it's a fair-weather activity these days so the question is - do I get automatically fined? I noticed the new tax receipt backdated those 5 days anyway.

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
Re: Forgot to pay vehicle tax on time
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 01:06:13 PM »
I have no concrete evidence. But with the covid and very few civil servants working you may have got away with it.

Also being such a short time period could help.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 01:44:38 PM »
I found a few forums where people said they'd got away with being 10 days and 14 days late without any fines, another stated you didn't have to SORN a car for the first 14 days, just keep it off the road. As you say, can't find anything concrete but it appears you'll be fine.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 03:18:55 PM »
The tax will have been backdated to the start of the month anyway, no problems.

Vic.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 09:45:59 PM »
I'm sure I read they don't take any action until into the following month, which makes sense as stated above, you pay for the whole month anyway.

DVLA did have contractors looking for untaxed vehicles so I suppose there's always the possibilty they might pick you up.  No idea if there's any leeway there.  Police aren't bothered, apparently.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 10:13:49 PM »
You can actually post the SORN notification to DVLA so there must be some leeway.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 12:27:51 PM »
I found a few forums where people said they'd got away with being 10 days and 14 days late without any fines, another stated you didn't have to SORN a car for the first 14 days, just keep it off the road. As you say, can't find anything concrete but it appears you'll be fine.

AFAIK, this is correct.

You get a 'last chance' warning letter during the month the tax expires, the penalty letter is sent out after the end of the month. So long as the vehicle is taxed before a month is missed, the process stops. Of course, the vehicle is not allowed on the road without valid tax, unless it's going for a pre-booked MOT.

Tags: