Author Topic: Computer problem.  (Read 810 times)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Computer problem.
« on: August 19, 2020, 02:55:44 PM »
When I switch on my laptop i get this notice come up when the PC has fully booted up. It sometimes appears when going back to the desktop.It goes away if you click on 'retry' or 'switch to'. Any ideas on how to get rid of it permanently?

Vic.

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
Re: Computer problem.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 03:13:20 PM »
Hi

I think you would need to review your computer logs to find the program it refers too

Have you uninstalled anything recently

Many thanks

John

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 05:51:17 PM »
What operating system are you using - have you had any windows updates recently ? 

Maybe try delaying the startup of some of the less important programs on your PC.

https://windowsloop.com/delay-startup-programs-with-task-scheduler/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 04:02:17 PM »
I suspect that this may be associated with the appearance of a programme or app called 'Pokki Start Menu'. This appeared sometime in July according to the 'Control Panel' list of installed programmes. If you attempt to uninstall it you get a warning telling you that if you uninstall it you will lose your start menu from your PC
Research tells you that the Pokki Start Menu is associated with an earlier Windows version, Windows 8, that didn't have a Start Menu. Research also comes up with various methods of removing it all of which lead to the Control Panel which is accessible from the Start Menu anyway.
I am running Windows 10 and download the updates as they are notified.
The PC runs normally and the subject programme is not detected by Antivirus or Malware programmes.

Vic.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 05:13:45 PM »
Pokki Start Menu - SweetLabs Inc.

It will install on Windows 10 too, and personally I would want rid of it. Their 'helpful' utilities collect information from your PC activity, pass it back to their server, and channel adverts back to you. It should be safe to uninstall it via Control Panel, start menu should revert to the standard windows 10 menu.

If you are still using the standard windows 10 menu, it is possible that your antivirus may have already performed an incomplete removal, hence the error messages. If Malwarebytes doesn't shift it, try Superantispyware, one of them should remove any traces of it as a PUP - potentially unwanted programme.

Sweet Labs have been around a long time, and their adware/spyware has been a constant pain in the neck. They are usually bundled with other programmes, with an easily overlooked tick box to opt out when installing the intended software. The included uninstallers often leave bits behind, or fail to work at all. I can remember SweetLabs causing me grief back in Windows XP days!

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 07:12:09 PM »
Hi Vic,  I would suggest that you do a clean boot and add services back in until you get the issue.  Then at least you know what is causing the pop up.

Full instructions here https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 07:21:58 PM »
You may be able to use "System Restore" to set your computer back to its state before the program was installed.

Tags:

anything