Author Topic: OK - Anti Roll Bar Drop Links - Why Two Different Types Listed for Same Vehicle?  (Read 5763 times)

gtd2000

• Approved Member
  • Tell it as it is..NOT how it should be!
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz
I thought I'd change the front right (O/S or Driver Side RHD) tonight and jacked the car up and thought that other than rusted nuts it would be a simple job. We had a Mapco drop link in the cupboard and I assumed all would be done tonight.

The Mapco drop link looks like this:

That's not going to fit my car as I need one with the threads facing the same direction like this:

Any ideas why there's two different types listed and that's for the same car but only one type actually fits...?  >:(

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
There are two types because the later models have a change. I was supplied with the "square" variety when my car uses the "offset" type.

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Thing is, the car in question is a December 2006 but if you look up the part, both types are listed for all of the GD models?

I'd expect to see that there would be a cut off or limited date range?

Could it be that they made the cars in different factories and that might be the reason?

If your's is a 2006 and mine is also a 2006, then I should presumably have the same as your car, if going by dates?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
Mine, built in Suzuka in Japan, was first registered in September, so could have been built six months previous.
And there will be a day they swapped over, so two cars, built in the same factory, in the same month, can have different parts fitted.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 01:48:58 PM by Jocko »

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
I looked up drop links for my jazz and there are different ones each side. The one you say you need is showing on the other side. Have got left and right ones mixed up?

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Mine, built in Suzuka in Japan, was first registered in September, so could have been built six months previous.
And there will be a day they swapped over, so two cars, built in the same factory, in the same month, can have different parts fitted.

I'll need to check where it was built and report back.

I'm assuming the the ARB is the same so the difference would be the suspension mounting point?

One of the reasons for the question is that this would potentially make ordering new struts a potential area of incorrectly supplied parts too?

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
I looked up drop links for my jazz and there are different ones each side. The one you say you need is showing on the other side. Have got left and right ones mixed up?

On the box it is labelled as front axle right.

Looking at eBay and other suppliers they seem to be selling pairs of either "offset" or "square" drop links. Can't say that I've seen any mixed sets?

I watched this YouTube video and this is the identical type that is fitted to the car:

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 06:34:12 PM by gtd2000 »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Yes, they are handed LH and RH.

The changeover is around 2006 I believe, the early cars have the ones with the approx 90° offset. The later ones, certainly all Chinese GE3 2006-2008, have a slight offset - but are still handed.

You should have both early or both late type, not a mix.

There are a few other suspension bits that are different.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 04:49:18 PM by sparky Paul »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
Both sides use the same type. Either "offset" or "square". When I worked for the motor factor I bought the pair the computer show for my car but they were wrong. They were the "square" type.
I found this drawing on the Moog site

so when I went in, the next day, I got the correct, offset", parts. The part numbers I bought were 8967 and 8968, the 2004 onwards variety.
The drawing says the change over was in Jan 2004 and my car is definitely a 2006 model, going by the VIN number.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 05:09:46 PM by Jocko »

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
According to the VIN, the car was built in Suzaka in 2006.

So based on the square vs offset type, it's presumably a later model using "square" parts that may have changed in 2004?

I'm still somewhat surprised that the parts vendors/motor factors don't have this sorted out yet.

Off to find a cheap set of drop links. Any suggested suppliers or vendors?

Anybody need an "offset" drop link or want to do a swap for a "square" one..? :)

I take it there's only two possible options?

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Yes, they are handed LH and RH.

The changeover is around 2006 I believe, the early cars have the ones with the approx 90° offset. The later ones, certainly all Chinese GE3 2006-2008, have a slight offset - but are still handed.

You should have both early or both late type, not a mix.

There are a few other suspension bits that are different.

So there may well be at least 4 different types in that case?

Square, offset slightly (Chinese - unless that's actually the square type), offset 90 and offset greater than 90.

The one I have is more than 90 degrees, possibly not as much at 120 but certainly beyond a right angle.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 06:34:56 PM by gtd2000 »

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Looking at eBay lstings for front struts, it appears that they are split between the years

2002 to 2005

and

2005 to 2008

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
Any suggested suppliers or vendors?
I bought mine from TMS. They supply Moog parts.

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
On eBay right now and it appears that the "2 x FOR HONDA JAZZ II MK2 04-2008 FRONT PAIR STABILISER ANTI ROLL BAR DROP LINKS" are not square but slightly offset?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-FOR-HONDA-JAZZ-II-MK2-04-2008-FRONT-PAIR-STABILISER-ANTI-ROLL-BAR-DROP-LINKS/291550647341?fits=Car+Make%3AHonda%7CModel%3AJazz%7CCars+Year%3A2007&hash=item43e1c5d42d:g:KVMAAOSwUqBbRcOy

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Any suggested suppliers or vendors?
I bought mine from TMS. They supply Moog parts.

I'm fairly sure there's one round here - perhaps in Tweedbank?

I'll have a look.

Edit:

TMS Tweedbank Block 11 Tweedbank Industrial Estate Galashiels TD1 3RS

Phone: 01896 757000

I'll give them a shout in the morning I guess.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 07:12:39 PM by gtd2000 »

Tags: