Author Topic: Engine oil 20w50  (Read 3035 times)

guest8002

Engine oil 20w50
« on: October 06, 2018, 08:33:10 PM »
Hello everyone,

My mechanic has decided to put 20w50 oil without telling me before. I did 1500 kms mainly highway. Is this a good oil for my honda jazz 2005 130.000kms 1.2 i-dsi.
Sometimes I can ear a strange very low sound like "claclacla" like the sound of old diesel cars. (i can barely ear this sound but I'm afraid it gets worst)
Can you help me?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Engine oil 20w50
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 08:42:00 PM »
The thickest oil Honda recommends is 15W-40, and not for use in Europe. I'd get it changed.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 09:37:09 AM »
IMHO the noise is nothing to do with oil viscosity,  it may be knocking or pinging (pre-ignition )- are your plugs in good shape (especially the rear 4 which never hardly get changed) if you don't know when they were changed it is probably a good idea to replace them, rear ignition coils may fail as well, but they normally cause uneven running,  standard spark plugs are not expensive (plenty of information on this forum about changing rear plugs)  - maybe try a tank of high octane fuel which,  but if it is rear plugs to blame it may not help.

I personally would not go lower than 5W-30,  I do not trust the 0W-20 and lower oils now being peddled as fuel saving oils, car makers will use anything in the laboratory to get the last 0.1% mpg gain,  with scant regard for future engine wear.  If I lived in Siberia or Greenland I may use thinner oil, but in UK - Naaaahhh.

Makers used to sell (maybe still do) sell 'high mileage oil' (no it does not do a higher mileage before it needs changing,  it is higher viscosity) for use in older engines which have bigger bearing clearances due to wear - the thicker oil maintains oil pressure (where the thinner oil just passes through the gap like water).  If your engine has done a few miles I would not change the oil as long as it is a good quality one,  maybe this is why your mechanic used thicker oil - why not ask him ?   if it is a semi-synthetic you should not have any problems starting the engine (thicker oil does produce more drag on engine when starting) - you may get a slight reduction in mpg,  so depends on how many miles you normally drive if that is a problem or not.

https://www.cenex.com/about/cenex-information/cenexperts-blog-page/oil-and-lubricants/high-mileage-oils
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 10:15:17 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 11:09:09 AM »
I wouldn't consider 80K miles (130K kilometres) particularly high mileage for a modern engine, especially a Honda engine.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 11:18:13 AM »
I wouldn't consider 80K miles (130K kilometres) particularly high mileage for a modern engine, especially a Honda engine.

The oil makers seem to consider anything above 80K to be high mileage,  all I am saying is that the thicker oil will not adversely affect the engine and the mechanic may have done it for a reason, and it certainly should not make engine noisier ( should be quieter in fact).  unless I lived in a region with cold winters like Baltic countries or Eastern Europe etc. I would not drain and replace the oil with a thinner one.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 09:42:03 PM »
I would have to agree with Culzean, thicker oil would suppress any noises and is unlikely to cause any damage, I also use 5w30 in my mk1, my mk3 has Honda 0w20 in it and I think it's a bit noisier and harsher sounding (on the odd occasion she lets me drive it) , but as it's under warranty I have to leave it.

I also agree with Jocko that 130,000km  is not particularly high miles but it may be showing signs of wear or leaks and that might be why the mechanic used the thicker oil.

I would say it's not perfect oil for this engine, but won t do any harm, the spec and quality of the oil is more important than the viscosity (thickness).

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 05:59:59 AM »
I guess Honda must have their recommendations wrong then.

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 10:45:37 AM »
I guess Honda must have their recommendations wrong then.

Not neccessarily, I'm sure the 0w20 achieves Honda's aim of low emissions and higher mpg, it's only on badly worn mating components that the thicker oil would help prevent leaks, I think it's all a big compromise which oil to use between emmisions, mileage, wear, service intervals, etc. Everybody has an opinion or logical theory, who knows who is correct? There's a wide range of oils you can use, any of them will be fine, one just outside the range should probably be ok too.

Tags: