Author Topic: Unknown Gear Stick Issues  (Read 2386 times)

guest6582

Unknown Gear Stick Issues
« on: October 03, 2018, 07:52:55 PM »
Hey everyone,

For those that don't know, I have a GD5 Manual transmission Jazz which is in need of a new clutch.

Over the past 6 weeks, I have been driving and noticed that my gear stick tends to rock back and forth in 4th gear. It's fine when constantly accelerating or driving at steady RPM however when there is no input (such as coming off the accelerator) the gear stick seems to rock, it can be quite loud and if coming from a high speed say 50-60mph it can feel quite violent. I have taken it to a garage and they said it could be either the bushing underneath the gear stick, the synchromeshes or a bearing fault so not much to narrow down to.

I do have a separate issue, whether it ties into this I really couldn't say, when I travel in 3rd gear and let off the accelerator, often times the gear stick will jump out of gear and go into neutral. I don't have any issues going up into 3rd gear from 2nd but sometimes its difficult to get into it from 4th gear and sometimes grinds when releasing the clutch pedal.

I thought I would come to you guys, see if anyone has/had this issue and can point me to a more directed route.
My mechanical knowledge doesn't stretch towards transmission however I know that the clutch bearing is on its way so I will replace that soon. Any help will be greatly appreciated as I don't have the money to go and explore every option the garage has thrown at me on a "we think" basis.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Unknown Gear Stick Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 08:15:54 PM »
Sounds like the gearbox is shot. I have experienced jumping out of gear in a previous car I owned (Ford) and a replacement gearbox fixed it.
If you are going to get a clutch put in get a refurbed gearbox and get them to put it in at the same time.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 08:01:04 PM »
All those symptoms, especially jumping about on overrun, sounds like a collapsed bearing or bearings.

You could get the bearings replaced, but I would seriously consider Jocko's suggestion - all that bouncing about doesn't do the rest of the  internals any good.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 08:47:21 PM »
Could be worn gear selector mechanism or the linkages between gearstick and gearbox may need adjusting or bushes in linkage worn - may be letting the gears move around on the shafts.  Could also be an engine mount failed and allowing gearbox to move in relation to gearstick.

Sometimes this problem can also be caused by old worn out oil in gearbox,  if you don't know if oil has been changed maybe worth a try, could be your cheapest option to start with.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 08:56:53 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 12:59:16 PM »
Could also be an engine mount failed and allowing gearbox to move in relation to gearstick.

To be honest, with the rocking and bouncing out of gear, that was my first thought...especially if it's banging on take up and overrun. However, this bit didn't sound too good

I don't have any issues going up into 3rd gear from 2nd but sometimes its difficult to get into it from 4th gear and sometimes grinds when releasing the clutch pedal.

Of course, it could be two unconnected problems, if the 4th to 3rd synchromesh problems were pre-existing.

Is there a tie bar between the rear of the engine and the front subframe on the Jazz?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 01:19:26 PM »
Could also be an engine mount failed and allowing gearbox to move in relation to gearstick.

To be honest, with the rocking and bouncing out of gear, that was my first thought...especially if it's banging on take up and overrun. However, this bit didn't sound too good

I don't have any issues going up into 3rd gear from 2nd but sometimes its difficult to get into it from 4th gear and sometimes grinds when releasing the clutch pedal.

Of course, it could be two unconnected problems, if the 4th to 3rd synchromesh problems were pre-existing.

Is there a tie bar between the rear of the engine and the front subframe on the Jazz?

I have read about people curing their gearbox woes with some new decent quality oil ( in manual boxes, not just auto ones ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything