Author Topic: Aftermarket satnav or dongle?  (Read 2268 times)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Aftermarket satnav or dongle?
« on: July 02, 2018, 10:19:49 PM »
This morning I was browsing Halfords while Mrs Sky was in a nearby frock shop, I noticed that some satnav manufacturers are using the OBD socket as a power source for their products.

This is one, Garmin also do one as do Halfords for their own brand devices.

https://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/dash-cam-accessories/blackvue-obd-power-pro-cable
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 10:35:01 PM by Skyrider »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Aftermarket satnav or dongle?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 06:59:06 AM »
I'm all for something that does away with messy cables but I seem to be missing something here even after reading the advert. It's still a cable so how do you tuck it away out of sight? How is having it plugged into the OBD port different from having it plugged into the power socket (fag lighter)?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 07:22:35 AM »
How is having it plugged into the OBD port different from having it plugged into the power socket (fag lighter)?
Only difference I can see is the OBD port is hidden under the dashboard, whereas the power socket is in a prominent position. I already use my OBD port for My ScanGauge E.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 07:30:14 AM »
I often think some viable form of cable management is badly needed. I've seen some generic self adhesive ones but you can't tell if they would hold any particular cable.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 07:36:05 AM »
I wonder how long it will be before dashcams become a standard fitment on new cars. Sat Nav started out as 3rd party add-ons, and look at the set up now.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 07:49:47 AM »
I wonder how long it will be before dashcams become a standard fitment on new cars. Sat Nav started out as 3rd party add-ons, and look at the set up now.
Honda have a camera built into the Mk. 3 Jazz. All that needs to be added is a bit of hardware to do the recording onto a microSD card. I'm surprised that they didn't include this capability given that it wouldn't cost more than $5. On the other hand, such built-in hardware would, like the touchscreen thingie, be out of date by the time the car is delivered and not up to the standard of 3rd party dashcams.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 07:54:43 AM »
As John says (beat me to it!) the Mk3 already has all the necessary bits for a basic system. As well as the existing camera, there’s an Android tablet to provide the processing power and to display the video. You don’t even need any hardware for SD cards, you could use the USB sockets for data sticks. Any geniuses out there who could figure out how to join it all up ? Somehow I don’t expect Honda to do this.

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 08:05:00 AM »
Hiding a dashcam cable is not a problem, just tuck it under the front of the headlining, then behind the top of the front pillar trim, then pull the door seal off the door frame to run the cable down to the lower dash board area and push the door seal back onto the door frame. The under dash board bit is easy. My satnav, (I prefer aftermarket ones) is attached to the centre divider of the centre vents.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 08:07:28 AM by Skyrider »

donerkebab

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 09:05:47 AM »
If Honda didn't skip out and add Apple Airplay / Android Auto - which they fitted as standard for the US market Honda Fitt/Jazz we wouldn't have this issue.

Personally Waze on my phone mounted on the windscreen is my preferred option. Real time updates / no messing with updating the Satnav when roads change etc.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 09:44:19 AM »
I'm surprised manufacturers haven't cottoned on to fitting a permanent 5V USB power outlet on the front of the courtesy light, or around that area, for dash cams. Lot's of people have installed similar DIY solutions.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 10:20:16 AM »
Hiding a dashcam cable is not a problem, just tuck it under the front of the headlining, then behind the top of the front pillar trim, then pull the door seal off the door frame to run the cable down to the lower dash board area and push the door seal back onto the door frame. The under dash board bit is easy. My satnav, (I prefer aftermarket ones) is attached to the centre divider of the centre vents.

Thanks for the info - very helpful if I go the dashcam route.

On satnavs - I just wish I could buy a much shorter cable. The one I've got includes the traffic monitoring thing so not easily replaced.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 10:22:36 AM »
The one I've got includes the traffic monitoring thing so not easily replaced.
That will be the length it is to facilitate the aerial.

Tags:

anything