Author Topic: Transition for manual to CVT - initial thoughts.  (Read 11644 times)

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
Re: Transition for manual to CVT - initial thoughts.
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2018, 10:59:04 PM »
I bought my Jazz, because with the mirrors folded, it fits into my garage.

Also, it easily swallows a catering table, and all my hot air engines. On show days......  :)
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2018, 12:14:50 PM »
The whole thing with 0-60 times is so subjective. Just thinking about some of my old cars and also some current 0-60 times.

1) 1.3 Jazz CVT - 12.2 secs
2) Toyota Yaris Hybrid (test driven) - 11.8 secs
3) Nissan Leaf - 11.8 secs
4) VW Golf 1.9 Tdi - 11.3 secs
The hybrid Mk 2 Jazz also provides relatively effortless initial acceleration. These vehicles are all a bit nippier than my Austin A35 which needed about half a minute to get to 60 mph! Getting back on topic, the Mk 3 Jazz can perform well if the engine is allowed to pile on the revs which results in the engine becoming more vocal, but not in a way which sounds distressed.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2018, 12:32:13 PM »
http://www.gbclassiccars.co.uk/mg_mgb_mgbgt.html

These 0-60 times for the old MGB are interesting. A sports car of it's day and a 0-60 time of 14 seconds for the MGB GT.

We are spoiled by modern cars.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2018, 03:05:07 PM »
I recall driving a new MGBGT in c 1973. It was PANTS...Slow, noisy, difficult to enter and exit. I subsequently bought a Lotus Elan with 130bhp - which was FAST.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2018, 03:21:47 PM »
The Americans have a saying, "You buy horse power, but drive torque". That's why diesels and tiny turbo petrol engines are popular, the torque makes for lazy driving.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2018, 04:24:10 PM »
The Elan was 0 - 60 in about six second. Even today that takes a bit of beating. Mind you, it weighed about the same as an empty crisp bag.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2018, 05:59:01 PM »
We are spoiled by modern cars.
My first car was a 1963 3 gear Renault 4.  I don't think I ever got it to 60 mph!  The 6 volt electrics made driving on wet winter evenings quite a challenge, as there wasn't enough juice to run lights, wipers and heater fan simultaneously.  But the basic concept was similar to the Jazz, with 5 doors and fold flat rear bench seat.  I was very upset to find after I bought it in 1965 that the wheelbase was longer on one side than the other.  However, this resulted from the two rear suspension full-width torsion bars being mounted one behind the other.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 11:13:03 PM by Downsizer »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2018, 06:50:53 PM »
We certainly are spoiled by modern cars. One problem that took me a while to figure out on my Renault 4 was the pipe clip on the fuel filler pipe in the rear wing corroding allowing water thrown up by the rear wheel to get into the fuel tank. Not enough to cause rough running but enough to freeze and block the fuel to the engine. I do not miss old cars and laying in wet gutters fixing them!

guest7675

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2018, 06:49:05 PM »
I used to have a 1.5 daihatsu yrv turbo 130ps and it had a 7 speed cvt it did not have paddles instead in manual mode had press buttons each side of the front steering wheel and it was really good i liked it and it was so fast the only thing let that car down was body roll round bends as it was a tall semi mpv.

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2018, 07:58:44 PM »
A couple of recent journeys have got me thinking. Is there an issue with people moving from manual to CVT and not using all the capabilities of the system?

On the Jazz 1.3 there is an issue with sluggish acceleration in situations like roundabouts. I'm beginning to learn that, if you use the tools at your disposal, there are answers to these issues. A quick flip of the down paddle to get a burst of acceleration and/or drop into S mode for a situation where you might need livelier performance for a mile or two.

In short, you might need to postively engage with the system. Now you could say that negates the whole purpose of an automatic but it doesn't. The big thing for me is not having to continually use the clutch in traffic - flipping a few paddles to get a bit of extra oomph is no biggie for me.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2018, 08:44:30 PM »
On the Jazz 1.3 there is an issue with sluggish acceleration in situations like roundabouts. I'm beginning to learn that, if you use the tools at your disposal, there are answers to these issues. A quick flip of the down paddle to get a burst of acceleration and/or drop into S mode for a situation where you might need livelier performance for a mile or two.
That's not really automatic though is it? An automatic gearbox shouldn't require you to do anything other than selecting the direction you want to travel. I've found that jabbing the accelerator down to indicate my desire to get a move on suffices most of the time. It's still not the seamless operation I came to expect from the Mk1 and Mk2 but I blame the engine for that not the gearbox :-/

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2018, 09:15:44 PM »
That's not really automatic though is it? An automatic gearbox shouldn't require you to do anything other than selecting the direction you want to travel. I've found that jabbing the accelerator down to indicate my desire to get a move on suffices most of the time. It's still not the seamless operation I came to expect from the Mk1 and Mk2 but I blame the engine for that not the gearbox :-/

That's interesting. In your experience the MK3 is a step backwards? I've no experience of the CVT other than in the Mk3.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2018, 09:49:37 PM »

That's interesting. In your experience the MK3 is a step backwards? I've no experience of the CVT other than in the Mk3.
In overall smoothness, yes, it is. The Mk1 and Mk2 were both simple push and go systems. The only time you needed to think about doing anything special was if you wanted to overtake and needed kick down. Most of the time it was simple. If you wanted faster you pushed down, if you wanted slower you lifted off. That's the CVT I fell in love with.

The dual-mode nature of the engine complicated things and it appears that Honda have programmed the transmission and engine to favour staying in Atkinson mode at low speed unless the driver takes the trouble to request a more aggressive response. To my mind that's a step backward. The Mk1 and Mk2 allowed a driver to completely ignore/forget about gear choice and engine RPM. That's what a proper automatic transmission should be like.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 09:52:18 PM by andruec »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2018, 09:55:34 PM »
That seems to be what my car does, more accelerator, more speed, it has kickdown which is enhanced if you go beyond the detent at almost full accelerator travel. You don't need the flappy paddles for full power use. As my car is new I have only tried it once to see if it worked. It does and is impressive.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 09:59:14 PM by Deeps »

nrgmilano

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: SE CVT Mk3
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2018, 09:20:32 PM »
Wouldn't go back to a manual after CVT. Yes it gets negative press from journalists as it doesnt rush off the line but its made driving a pleasant experience. Once your used to it its fine an relaxing.

Tags:

anything