Author Topic: Jack and tools...!?  (Read 3529 times)

Fell Viper

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 09 Jazz EX
Jack and tools...!?
« on: March 02, 2018, 01:49:05 PM »
So if found the Jack right at the back of the car tightened into place...grand!

What I can’t find (and I assume should be somewhere)Is he bag of tools you normally get with a Honda, the tyre iron, the tow eyes etc. I can’t find them anywhere.
They’ve possibly been kept by the previous owner, but as I can’t see a logical place for their storage I don’t know where to look!!

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Re: Jack and tools...!?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 02:47:21 PM »
Isn't there a compartment behind  plastic panel on the right hand side of the boot? Going off memory as it's been a while since I had my Jazz 2nd gen.

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 03:44:45 PM »
Isn't there a compartment behind  plastic panel on the right hand side of the boot? Going off memory as it's been a while since I had my Jazz 2nd gen.

+1 yes there is.

Plasma

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 04:59:30 PM »

+1 yes there is.

Plasma
Happy days

Fell Viper

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 11:43:24 AM »
There is, only in mine it contains he compressor and the run flat spraystuff, which thinking about it may have replace the tool kit , just not sure why I have a jack then!

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 01:45:40 PM »
first thing I bought was a proper wheel wrench and space saver tyre and wheel..  and I packed them with a square of carpet to kneel on and vinyl gloves to keep hands clean.
Used on Saturday for first time in 5 years of ownership - in snow 70 miles from home...the Honda goop would have not worked - big gash in tyre tread.

You need a jack even with goo as the tyre needs to have no weight on it (ie. not flat to the ground) to allow the goo to reinflate the tyre.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 01:47:29 PM by madasafish »

Fell Viper

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 01:13:31 PM »
Those cans of spray should work fine without the jack as they pressurise the tyre.

Either way the jack is gone! 😀 no room for spare tyres etc, if I can’t fix it I’ll call the AA!

In 25 years of driving I’ve only needed them once!

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 06:27:09 AM »
Nothing will pressurise a tyre with a piece of jagged metal 15mm wide sticking through the cords as I had on Saturday. Without a jack and space saver wheel I would have been stuffed - on a snowy Saturday...

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 07:21:19 AM »
On all bar one of the cars I have owned I have had a spare wheel, even if just a space saver. The exception was my FIAT 126 with Dunlop Denovo wheels and tyres. Replaced them with standard wheels and tyres.
If I had a car without some sort of spare I would get a wheel from a scrappies, even if it meant giving up boot space to carry it. Tyres and rims are regularly damaged beyond repair with a can of spray. Plus, once you use the spray the tyre is normally unable to be repaired.

By Honest John9:30AM GMT 11 Nov 2014
How useful are the spray cans intended to make temporary repairs to flat tyres? My pregnant daughter pulled over to find a long screw protruding from a deflating tyre. The patrolman who attended said she had two choices: put on the spacesaver spare and go straight to a tyre place, or use the spray and have up to 500 miles of use before getting a permanent repair. She opted for the spray, but later wished she hadn't. The tyre company, a local independent that we've used and trusted for many years, told her that a proper repair was not possible following the use of the spray, so she had to buy a new tyre.

AT, Shepperton

I'm not a fan of these spray sealants, not least because they destroy the tyre and you have to replace it.

guest5079

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 09:12:27 AM »
Does your car have alloy wheels with security nuts?  If so you need the 'key' to undo a security nut. If you do not have a key and you bought the car recently I should go back to the vendor and ask for it. Failing that, I believe you can get the nuts undone by a reputable tyre firm but then you will need to by a new set of security nuts.
When you buy a car, all you want is to be able to enjoy it and there is always some prat determined otherwise.

guest1372

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 10:58:20 AM »
....Tyres and rims are regularly damaged beyond repair with a can of spray. Plus, once you use the spray the tyre is normally unable to be repaired.

I'm not a fan of these spray sealants, not least because they destroy the tyre and you have to replace it.

The type of foam gunk that comes with new cars is water soluble so a tyre fitter will just jet wash the wheel to remove it when repairing a puncture. It is not like the expanding PU foam builders sealant we might imagine so in itself does not ruin a tyre or rim.
--
TG

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 05:23:32 PM »
Those cans of spray should work fine without the jack as they pressurise the tyre.

Either way the jack is gone! 😀 no room for spare tyres etc, if I can’t fix it I’ll call the AA!
Unless you have the hybrid Jazz (which didn't arrive until 2011) there's a place for the spare wheel under the boot floor.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Fell Viper

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 10:40:34 AM »
Spray definitly doesn’t destroy the tyre, it’s just foam. That ladies tyre was done in by whatever punctured it. Current foam just needs cleaning out. And it DEFINITELY doesn’t destroy the rim! 😀

Spare wheel not an option as the car is a Hypermiler. Which is fine, if I need to I’ll call the AA.

I have he locking nut somewhere but I’ll double check!

Fell Viper

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 10:17:23 PM »
the jokes on me!

pulled that car apart in a panic as I couldn't find the locking wheel nuts ANYWHERE!!

... car doesn't have locking nuts!   :D

( I was thinking of one of the others! as we had like 3!)

Tags: