Author Topic: Detachable tow bar  (Read 1931 times)

weeleyboy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Jazz 1.4CVT EX
Detachable tow bar
« on: January 14, 2018, 05:52:23 PM »
I'm looking to fit a detachable tow bar to my Mk 2 Jazz and have had a quote for £450  supply and fit but I've not come across the make before which is Towtrust. Has anyone had experience of this brand? Any other suggestions appreciated.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Detachable tow bar
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 06:09:44 PM »
When I was towing I got my kits from a company called 'Towsure'.
They were well made and supplied by very helpful people.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

guest7288

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 03:28:55 PM »
Detachable tow bars are more epensive. We had one on our Golf and to be frank, we seldom ever detached it, too much effort. A standard tow bar is about £240 fitted, but that will be visible all the time. Stops others coming too close to the back of your car when parked!

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 06:54:57 PM »
Hi,
I hope you realise that your cvt jazz is not suitable for towing?
Chris

weeleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 01:19:35 PM »
I believe that it is ok to tow a gross weight up to 1000kg - several manufacturers make tow bars for the Jazz and I'm getting a Witter detachable on fitted to mine shortly. I think it was the earlier models with the smaller engine that were classed as unsuitable for towing. I'm only looking to tow a light 2 wheel trailer to the tip or collect the odd bit of big furniture,

guest1372

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 01:50:52 PM »
Towing with a Jazz is OK, 1000kg braked on mine is pretty generous for the size/weight of car but I think there is some debate over whether CVT is suitable or not. https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=4845.0

Those typical light alloy trailers should not cause any issue, but the upper end is probably not great for CVTs.  Random internet searches are not reliable, plus the USA Jazz/Fit has a zero towing rating.
--
TG

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 08:47:37 PM »
Hi,
I emailed honda for a definitive answer and they replied that the cvt jazz should not be used for towing,
Chris

weeleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 10:06:48 PM »
I'm only looking to tow a light 2 wheel trailer with light garden rubbish in it, probably no more than 750 kgs total - I would hope that it could cope with that ok. Hope so as I have bought the tow bar which will be fitted in the next week or so!

weeleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 08:16:00 PM »
I ended up fitting a Witter detachable tow bar and used it for the first time today - it's much easier to fit and remove than the Thule version fitted to my previous car. My trailer is a 2 wheel German made Sema trailer which only weighs 174 kgs unladen. I didn't put a lot of weight in it  but it towed very smoothly in both D and sport mode. It won't be used for heavy loads, just for bulky ones that won't fit in the car.

Tags:

anything