Author Topic: UK new car sales  (Read 8914 times)

guest5079

Re: UK new car sales
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 11:34:20 AM »
I have not driven a diesel since circa 1972. This is purely personal.
I worked for Mothers Pride, the fleet for the 'salesmen' at that time were Austin/Morris LD with a special body. The engine was a BMC 2.2 litre diesel. My van was automatic, I know not why as my patch started in Launceston and ended in Wadebridge with the 30 miles drive back at a max speed of just over 40mph. One morning, about 2 miles from the depot, I smelt a very strong smell of diesel. Lifted off the engine cover, yes those were the days of luxury, a piece of bent tin between you and that beautifully quiet engine. There was a lovely spurt of diesel out of the pipe to the injector pump. So rather than wait hours for the mechanics to finish their tea, I drove back to the depot. That night,after visiting, I was so ill, our GP thought I had suffered a stroke. It scared him, me my Wife and Pa in law who had to lift me out of our car into his home I was completely paralysed.. ( My wife drove about 4 miles to Pa in Law being nearest no licence and little driving experience) .Since then I have avoided diesel like the plague and it saddens me to see people filling their diesel cars without either using the gloves provided or washing their hands afterwards. Yes I was stupid to do what I did BUT who would have thought diesel fumes could do that? Wonder fuel? it has lot to answer for. However, it means our haulage costs are considerably cheaper than petrol engined lorries etc. The boffins should be concentrating on alternative power for heavy transport before pandering to the motorist.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 11:46:05 AM »
Good analogy re tanks in WW2. I believe the T34 was generally considered to be the best all round tank mainly on practical grounds. Not surprisingly, they pinched the best ideas and used them. It is fascinating how collective thinking operates on different levels throughout the world depending on circumstances. The Japanese Zero was a wonder machine at the start of the Pacific War but was outmoded in later years simply because they did not evolve and it ended up being more or less a turkey shoot for the Americans. Back on diesels, it is interesting that Rudolf Diesel, the German inventor who developed the concept early 1900's was unable to persuade the Fatherland to adopt his ideas (PS - on his terms) in favour of the petrol engine. How ironic considering recent events concerning 'Dieselgate'. He was forced to look elsewhere and went AWOL on board a ferry crossing to the UK in 1913. Foul play, possibly, but what started in contraversy looks like ending the same way.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 12:04:54 PM by MartinJG »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 12:25:37 PM »
Good analogy re tanks in WW2. I believe the T34 was generally considered to be the best all round tank mainly on practical grounds. Not surprisingly, they pinched the best ideas and used them. It is fascinating how collective thinking operates on different levels throughout the world depending on circumstances. The Japanese Zero was a wonder machine at the start of the Pacific War but was outmoded in later years simply because they did not evolve and it ended up being more or less a turkey shoot for the Americans.

The Japanese introduced the nakajima KI-84 towards end of ww2, it featured GDI direct injection in its 18 cylinder 2000hp radial engine and was a match for any fighter of the  war - its performance was limited a bit because Japan did not have access to 100 octane fuel, after the war americans evaluated the plane and it did 425mph running on high octane gasoline. If Japan had them earlier in sufficient numbers it would have made a huge difference.  The planes rate of climb, high altitude performance and long range meant it could easily and quickly reach high altitude American bombers and it was heavily armed with 20mm cannons.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 12:28:49 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2018, 12:43:09 PM »
My experience with Japanese stuff is that it just works.

My view of things is that Germans were put on this planet to complicate things and Japanese and Americans to simplify stuff. This is down to having to use PLC's in industry - where Siemens kit was horribly complicated and expensive where Allen_Bradley (USA) and Omron (Japan) were much simpler (but no less powerful) and cheaper.

I agree that the Siemens PLC kit was hideously complicated, but they were actually far more powerful than the average PLC - it was just that 99% of users would never need the advanced functions that the Siemens offered. It didn't help that the programming software was unable to represent some of these advanced functions in the PLC programmer's universal language of ladder. Just crazy.

The biggest issue I had with the Siemens was that the programming was so different to other stuff... whereas most users could easily move from one PLC platform to another after a bit of familiarisation, the Siemens stuff often left you head scratching. A nightmare for maintenance engineers.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 03:05:26 PM »
My experience with Japanese stuff is that it just works.

My view of things is that Germans were put on this planet to complicate things and Japanese and Americans to simplify stuff. This is down to having to use PLC's in industry - where Siemens kit was horribly complicated and expensive where Allen_Bradley (USA) and Omron (Japan) were much simpler (but no less powerful) and cheaper.

I agree that the Siemens PLC kit was hideously complicated, but they were actually far more powerful than the average PLC - it was just that 99% of users would never need the advanced functions that the Siemens offered. It didn't help that the programming software was unable to represent some of these advanced functions in the PLC programmer's universal language of ladder. Just crazy.

The biggest issue I had with the Siemens was that the programming was so different to other stuff... whereas most users could easily move from one PLC platform to another after a bit of familiarisation, the Siemens stuff often left you head scratching. A nightmare for maintenance engineers.

Yeah,  I was in maintenance and nobody really liked Siemens,  but it was company standard... (nobody asked the blokes who used it every day though, as usual, guess the Siemens rep was handing out brown envelopes LOL).  Siemens did have way more capabilties than most people needed, but that was their standard package, Germans seem to prefer function blocks and statement list to ladder.

Allen Bradley was more modular then Siemens - you could install the rack and I/O cards and just fit (and pay less money) the processor module with features you needed at that time,  very well designed because if you needed a more powerful processor module later you could just replace the module and everything else stayed the same and you could plug A/D cards and other high end modules into same rack (bit like 19" racking but on a smaller scale).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 04:58:30 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 03:23:08 PM »
I used to use Modicon and Mitsubishi PLCs. Modicon, because it was the system on the equipment our parent company supplied, and Mitsubishi, as it was readily available from RS Components. I loved writing logic for machines we modified. Before PLCs we worked with relay logic, with all the limits that imposed. Nothing beats using a set of contacts in 50 different circuits!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2018, 05:31:02 PM »
I used to use Modicon and Mitsubishi PLCs.

Lovely Gould Modicon 484, so easy to use, and built like a tank. We used to have a P180 programmer connected permanently to the PLCs for an enormous conveyor system, and used it on a daily basis for fault finding. We had dozens of 484s running the whole plant... still have some old data cartridges for the P190 somewhere with the programs on.

They were all eventually replaced by Siemens and Omron.

Relay logic is going back a bit, we were ripping that out and replacing it with PLCs when I started. Mind you, we still had some kit with octal base valves in...

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2018, 06:54:00 PM »
It was a 484 I started out on. Relay logic was 60's and early 70's gear. First foray into PLC's was 82-83 ish.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2018, 07:20:03 PM »
I used to use Modicon and Mitsubishi PLCs.

Lovely Gould Modicon 484, so easy to use, and built like a tank. We used to have a P180 programmer connected permanently to the PLCs for an enormous conveyor system, and used it on a daily basis for fault finding. We had dozens of 484s running the whole plant... still have some old data cartridges for the P190 somewhere with the programs on.

They were all eventually replaced by Siemens and Omron.

Relay logic is going back a bit, we were ripping that out and replacing it with PLCs when I started. Mind you, we still had some kit with octal base valves in...

Anyone who has ever carried a Gould programming console from satellite carpark and through a car plant would have to say they are too blooming heavy (and needed wheels), and small screen was pants with nested rungs. Not as bad as hand held programmers for mitsubishi, Omron etc where you could hardly see two contacts on screen, like looking at map of world through a keyhole. Anyone remember bright yellow GEC Gem80 PLC and Honeywell IPC, there were so many PLC's around in early 1980's and most have disappeared.  As an engineer working for a company making production equipment for car plants, every customer used a different PLC, had to learn a new one for ever job...

People today with laptops don't know they are born .............
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 07:27:57 PM by culzean »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2018, 10:10:45 PM »
Gould programming console. Everyone thought you played the accordion!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2018, 09:54:48 AM »

Well it has happened again - a truly meandering thread,  from new car sales to diesels to tanks to aircraft to PLC's to accordions - is this a record  :-X

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2018, 12:14:49 PM »
It must be there or there abouts. Acordions? touch of genius in terms of meandering threads.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2018, 01:11:28 PM »

Well it has happened again - a truly meandering thread,  from new car sales to diesels to tanks to aircraft to PLC's to accordions - is this a record  :-X

But records are there to be broken, are they not. (That was a rhetorical question so I skipped the question mark).

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2018, 03:24:47 PM »

Well, it made me laugh, meandering or not!  ;D

As for humping the Modicon programmer about, you should have tried the one for the Texas 5TI - it was even bigger and heavier... I mean the suitcase full of lead VPU200, not the jumbo sized calculator lookalike which you would try your best to get away with.

Isn't it funny what you can remember from years ago, all this stuff has been ripped out and scrapped. Ask me what I was doing 5 minutes ago and I'm beaten. Has some connection with the meandering I think...

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2018, 03:47:00 PM »
Isn't it funny what you can remember from years ago, all this stuff has been ripped out and scrapped. Ask me what I was doing 5 minutes ago and I'm beaten. Has some connection with the meandering I think...

bit more meandering.......

Apparently scientists see the human mind as being like the hard disc on your computer,  the fuller it gets with information the harder it is to recall what you need - it is not that older people get slower it is just that there is far more information to sift through to get to what you want.  Millennial generation do not have the problem apparently because all they need is on Google or Facebook,  all they have to remember is how to work the internet browser....

The only ways I have found to defrag my mental HDD is a good nights sleep or to do 20 minutes of TM (Transcendental meditation now called 'mindfullness' apparently).

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2012/05/14/is-the-purpose-of-sleep-to-let-our-brains-defragment-like-a-hard-drive/#.WlJEB65l-Uk

Scientists are also discovering that your brain needs a lot of cholesterol to function properly,  and most modern diets cut out animal fats and statins (widely prescribed) stop your liver making cholesterol,  soon they may find that alzeimhers is cause by modern low fat diet......... watch this space.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-optimalist/201310/your-healthy-diet-could-be-quietly-killing-your-brain

I just finished a book titled 'Cold' by Ranulph Feinnes about his many polar and mountain expeditions and apparently they exist almost exclusively for many months on 'Ghee' (clarified butterfat) as it is the highest energy content lowest weight food.  The cholesterol of expedition members actually went down during expeditions to remarkably low levels (<3) -  seems the problem may be lack of exercise rather than fat in the diet (which is preferable to sugar anyway).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 04:14:26 PM by culzean »

Tags: