Author Topic: Silly old duffer.  (Read 2374 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Silly old duffer.
« on: December 04, 2017, 03:01:26 PM »
Today I managed to take a large chunk out of the side of my rear bumper. I was reversing the car into the garage and scraped it down the garage wall. Because I am big (and old and stiff) I have to get the car close to the passenger side wall, giving me maximum space to get in and out. Normally it is never a problem. I have a silver stripe painted down the back corner of the garage and using my mirrors I reverse to within half an inch of the wall. As long as I can see a glimpse of the stripe in my mirror I have clearance. Well, today the sun was low and bright, and I couldn’t make out the edge of the garage all that clearly. With disastrous consequences!

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Re: Silly old duffer.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 04:17:31 PM »
A bit of back luck Jocko, I have come close to doing the same thing in the past, but have solved the problem as follows.
Screw a piece of docorators or builders plank, around 2" thick to the bottom of the wall, then when you drive in, the tyre rubs along the plank and stops you hitting the wall! It works for me!

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 04:23:00 PM »
That's a good idea. I am really annoyed at myself. I regularly parked coaches between other coaches, where I had to reverse into a gap that was only wide enough not to foul the mirrors. And I regularly had to reverse a Ducato van 100+ yards through pre-reg cars, waiting delivery. Never a bump.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 06:15:25 PM »
Also to save you guessing when rear wall is near if you hang tennis ball on string from roof near rear of garage so that when ball touches rear screen you are right distance from the wall it saves stress of wondering when you are properly in (unless you rely on parking sensors).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 07:15:58 PM »
Whoops! How large a hole? Is it within the realms of a tub of Tetrofil?

It's amazing what you can do with fibre filler and a good quality local newspaper. ;)

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 09:44:12 PM »
Also to save you guessing when rear wall is near if you hang tennis ball on string from roof near rear of garage so that when ball touches rear screen you are right distance from the wall it saves stress of wondering when you are properly in (unless you rely on parking sensors).
Parking sensors! My Jazz has absolutely nothing. No, I have a 3" x 3" wooden baton glued to the garage floor. There are toolboxes, a bike, boxes and such, in the back of the garage (typical of most garages I would think).
I haven't checked the extent of the damage yet. I was so disgusted I just locked up and left it. I'll update the damage - with photo - tomorrow.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 12:46:53 AM »

At least you can get in your garage. I know someone who bought a Porsche 928. Big and wide. Apparently, he managed to squeeze the car in the garage, just, but then he realised he couldn't quite get out of the car. Bit of a problem really.

guest5079

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 09:01:19 AM »
I am sorry to say we all get into this sort of pickle. It is unfortunately Anno Domini and I would like it not to happen but like all good things we wear out as well. Cheer up it's done!!!! Rich coming from me the original Marlon.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 09:57:16 AM »
Damage not too bad. Especially when you see it beside the small chips and dings inflicted over the past 100,000 miles. A lick of paint and it will match the similar scratch on the front corner, which was there when I bought the car!
Still, annoying that I was so clumsy and careless.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 05:21:43 PM »
I was expecting something a little bit worse than that Jocko!

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 05:36:22 PM »
Me too. When I heard the graunching I first thought I was crushing a plastic container (5L bottles with Screenwash and the like along side of garage). I was just crawling and stopped fairly quickly. Going by the dimensions of the damage, I figure it must have been a ridge of pointing between the bricks I contacted, not the bricks themselves. Very lucky.

Tags:

anything