Author Topic: Hatch door release handle  (Read 1174 times)

guest5079

Hatch door release handle
« on: November 15, 2017, 10:45:11 AM »
 I had noticed that the handle under the finisher on the rear hatch was getting very tardy. Remembering that there had been posts about Mk1 and the hatch door lock, I looked it up and went onto good old Google. There was a YouTube on the problem of the handle. The one filmed was rusted solid. So following the instructions from the on line manual I set about it. It is imperative that the instructions are followed as the handle wont come through its aperture without moving the finisher. Mine was not quire rusted solid but pretty near. I was able to tap out the spindle and clean off the rust.The spindle had been flattened each end to stop it coming out so I had to put a few dots with a centre punch in the spindle after reassembly.. The spindle  was no problem to remove as the flattened ends didn't work. Lashings of grease, reassemble and what a difference. Lock and cable were absolutely clear of rust and working perfectly.
BUT be careful of the plastic clips. One was broken but as the holding bolt is alongside the broken one it wsn't quite so important. Yet another result of some dodgy bodywork.
It was worth doing because I feel another 6 months and it would have been some £60 for a new handle.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
Re: Hatch door release handle
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 12:29:22 PM »
Just going outside to smear a bit of grease on my handle bracket as it hasn't been touched in a couple of years, thanks for the reminder.
--
TG

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Hatch door release handle
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 02:19:11 PM »
I spray 3 in 1, from the outside, every few months. A total strip would be a better plan though.

Tags: