Author Topic: Static radio  (Read 1600 times)

u587162

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport CVT
Static radio
« on: October 29, 2017, 12:06:50 AM »
My 56 plate 95k miles auto Honda jazz never played the radio properly since I bought it used from a dealer a year ago.  It gives out a lot of static.  I tried replacing the aerial but not good.  Any suggestions (without spending lots of money)?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Static radio
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 07:51:29 AM »
Maybe a silly question, but have you tried re-tuning it? If it has come from an area other than where you bought it the radio may be tuned to slightly different frequencies. Same stations, just not the ideal frequency.
Do you get the same static with the engine off and the radio on?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 08:20:23 AM »
My 56 plate 95k miles auto Honda jazz never played the radio properly since I bought it used from a dealer a year ago.  It gives out a lot of static.  I tried replacing the aerial but not good.  Any suggestions (without spending lots of money)?

Fault may be where aerial connects into rear of radio or maybe cable damaged,  or earth connection of radio to body loose.   Or as suggested re-tune stations to your local frequencies,  on FM the decimal point makes a big difference.   If static happens with engine not running it is more likely to be tuning slightly 'off' station for your area.

If static noise only happens with engine running,  could be alternator, although alternator more like a 'howl' or spark plugs which will be more regular 'clicking' .  The correct spark plugs (if they are NGK fitted they should have an 'R' in the number to show a suppression Resistor is incorporated in the plug body to stop interference with radios and other electronic equipment like ECU etc.) - incorrect spark plugs is a real long shot though ..............................

Another long shot is if previous owner has fitted HID (high intensity discharge) headlamp bulbs,  the 'ballast' (high voltage generator) churns out about 25,000 volts and if not properly suppressed (canbus compatible units are available at extra cost) can play havoc with radios,  especially DAB,  but analogue radios are not immune.   This interference would obviously only happen when headlights switched on.

Attached is a  PDF of BBC radio frequencies by area in the UK.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 09:07:22 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

u587162

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport CVT
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 05:06:38 PM »
No its not a tuning issue, I know how to try another station :-)

It goes loud and quiet all the time depending on the movement of the car but its static 90% of the time.

Tags:

anything