Author Topic: Ready for the winter  (Read 660 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
    • View Profile
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 EX i vtec Manual Metallic Blue
Re: Ready for the winter
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 05:02:13 PM »
When I wash my car I use two buckets. Then after the car is washed I use the wash bucket for the wheels. Do you use a third bucket just to keep the bucket itself clean? I wash the bucket out after I am done.
I would love to be able to use a D/A polisher on my paintwork. I am sure it would make a huge difference, but I have no power, living in a top storey flat!

Just on access Jocko - have you ever tried these rinseless products like Optimum No Rinse?

Jocko

• Approved Member
    • View Profile
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2006 GD5 Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S in Vivid Blue Pearl
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 05:38:58 PM »
It is rinseless wash I use. Dodo Juice Low On Eau Rinseless Wash. It is superb. The second bucket is just to rinse the wash mitt in, between sections.
I take warm water down from the house, then fill the second bucket with cold water from our launderette, which is below the flats.

peteo48

• Approved Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 07:22:56 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F20OUfhp0E

Didn't know whether to put this in the electric car thread or this one!

How to wash a Tesla. Does the rinse with filtered water!

jazzway

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
    • View Profile
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 Elegance iShift | GG3 | L13Z2 | storm silver
Ready for the winter
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 09:16:26 PM »
I guess you could do both though

I think I now know why your car looks so good Jazzway. I've just topped up the wax (Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax) - never clayed a car. I remain to be convinced about clay - after all we had shiny cars long before clay. Open to persuasion though.

I clay mine, but don't notice a great difference before and after. Even after the first time I did it.

When you don't see any difference, i think you have a very clean car, Jocko. But here's a photo i took of the piece of clay after i clayed a 40x40 centimeter part of our daughters car bonnet.

This photo was last September, 6 months after i also clayed her car. It is an oily dirt and called traffic-or road film Oil, other car fluids and dirt accumulate on the roads and together with dirty exhaust gases comes on your car while driving, especially when it rains. When you do not regular wash the car, the dirt builds up and this road film cannot washed off other than with special, very aggressive TFR (traffic film remover) or claying. Also some dirt that never goes away with regular washes; tar spots, some sticky tree saps, can be removed with claying.
Road film is not something you can see easily, on our daughters black car i could see a brownish glow, but when you're not seeing it doesn't mean it isn't there.
And that's why it is important to clay a car once or twice a year BEFORE you wax! A wax, sealant or other coating doesn't bond well on dirt and is gone away in weeks instead of months.

Work back and forth and not in circles, do not push the clay onto the paint, but instead let it glide only with the weight of your (flat) hand. While claying always use plenty clay lube or another car detailing lubricant I use my rinseless wash shampoo in a stronger mix. When the clay is dirty fold it over to trap the dirt and carry on, using a clean side of clay. Also take your time, work in small parts and don't use a heavy grade clay-bar to get the job done faster.  You will then mar (damage) the paint which can only be polished out. I always use a fine grade clay-bar and depending the dirt i work longer, but always safe.

Hi Jazzway, how can you remove the roof trims please?
Push the rear of the trim forward to release the rear clip, lift the rear trim, pull the trim back to release the front clip. This video shows it: https://youtu.be/2LZN5UHPq04

When I wash my car I use two buckets. Then after the car is washed I use the wash bucket for the wheels. Do you use a third bucket just to keep the bucket itself clean? I wash the bucket out after I am done.
I would love to be able to use a D/A polisher on my paintwork. I am sure it would make a huge difference, but I have no power, living in a top storey flat!
One bucket with soapy water, the 2nd with only water (and a grit guard) to rinse the wash mitt (or pad) between washing the car parts, and 3rd bucket is for the wheels. I only use a 3rd bucket for the wheels and wells when they are really dirty, and then do them first before i wash the rest of the car. The same for foaming, btw. When the car is only light to medium dirty i do a rinse with only water or a mild rinseless shampoo mix in a spray bottle before and then wash the car with 2 buckets, or do a rinse-less wash like you. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 09:27:31 PM by jazzway »

Jocko

• Approved Member
    • View Profile
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 12:50:42 PM »
Every time I have clayed the car I have removed a lot of dirt, evident by the dirt on the clay (as in your picture). What I didn't see was any appreciable difference in the appearance of the car's paintwork. Perhaps it is the colour, or the fact that the paintwork had been roughly treated for 10 years before I got it. I bought the car from a dealer and it had been valeted before I got it, so it may have been clayed then.

jazzway

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
    • View Profile
  • Fuel economy:
Ready for the winter
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 02:48:27 PM »
Jocko, when you said you didn't see any difference, i was assuming also the clay stayed clean. When i clay our silver Jazz i also don't see a difference on the paint, but the clay-bar later showed it was there. The same with other light-medium colored cars, but our daughter's car is black and on that color you see everything! After a good wash and before claying, the car was clean with a brownish glow, after claying it was black.
The difference i always see, with every color, is when it's polished (cleanser polish, or other). When we picked up our Jazz 2 years ago it looked good, when i clayed and polished it( cleanser polish, done by hand) a few months later you could see a big difference - very smooth and there was a much improved clarity which made the metallic paint underneath sparkle. But as i said previous, when you don't see road/traffic film that doesn't mean it isn't there. You just proved that. When you want the best durability of a wax, sealant or coating, the paint has to be clean!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:50:16 PM by jazzway »

Jocko

• Approved Member
    • View Profile
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 02:56:18 PM »
As I said earlier. My car would really benefit with a polish with a D/A. I just hand polish, with Meguiar`s G17216EU Ultimate Compound, then wax with the Bilt Hamber Double Speed-Wax.

VicW

• Approved Member
    • View Profile
  • My Honda: 11 Plate Jazz 1.4 EX CVT
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 03:18:04 PM »
I gave up polishing cars donkeys years ago, I consider that for the difference it makes to the appearance and value isn't worth the outlay or effort.
Having a drive means that I can wash the car with a hose attached to a lance with a brush having first washed the grit off with the hose and a jet.No chance of grit scratching
 the paintwork. The wheels get done with a wheel brush on the hose. The garage hose also runs off softened water so if the weather is a bit iffy only the windows get leather dried the body gets the water removed with a squeegee. Soft water means no marks left as it dries out.
In the winter the wheel arches and underside get sprayed as well to get the mud and salt out.
The last cleaning expense I had was a new leather after ten years of use.
I am told that the new wash and polish liquids are very good even if the car is grubby but I would be a bit worried about the grit on the bodywork.

Vic.

jazzway

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
    • View Profile
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 03:28:10 PM »
As I said earlier. My car would really benefit with a polish with a D/A. I just hand polish, with Meguiar`s G17216EU Ultimate Compound, then wax with the Bilt Hamber Double Speed-Wax.
I know and you also mentioned it another post. Yes, a correction polish done with a D/A machine, when done good, it removes a little clear-coat and with that swirls and scratches go away that improves shine. You can also do it by hand, but not as perfect and it's a really hard job. But by using it by hand as you do, you are still cleaning the paint! And from the photos i have seen, your car looks really good!

You can try another polish maybe. Poorboy's World White Diamond or -Blank Hole f.e., it's a cleanser polish and it fills swirls and minor scratches beautiful, then wax and enjoy the shine! :)

culzean

• Approved Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 03:28:49 PM »
Our cars rarely get washed - even rarer to wax them (except headlamp covers and rear light clusters get waxed monthly to protect the plastic from getting cloudy).  I will wash under wheel arches during the winter with a garden hose spray and cold water to get salt and mud off,  never use a pressure washer (although we have two) on the car - mainly used for cleaning patio - IMHO they are too destructive to use on paintwork and underseal.

Rather spend my money on decent brake pads and best battery I can get (Yuasa Silver).
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 03:31:49 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2017, 04:57:25 PM »
I gave up polishing cars donkeys years ago, I consider that for the difference it makes to the appearance and value isn't worth the outlay or effort.
Having a drive means that I can wash the car with a hose attached to a lance with a brush having first washed the grit off with the hose and a jet.No chance of grit scratching
 the paintwork. The wheels get done with a wheel brush on the hose. The garage hose also runs off softened water so if the weather is a bit iffy only the windows get leather dried the body gets the water removed with a squeegee. Soft water means no marks left as it dries out.
In the winter the wheel arches and underside get sprayed as well to get the mud and salt out.
The last cleaning expense I had was a new leather after ten years of use.
I am told that the new wash and polish liquids are very good even if the car is grubby but I would be a bit worried about the grit on the bodywork.

Vic.

I may have mentioned this before but my neighbour uses the Tesco hand wash - OK he gets a new car every 3 years but his car looks absolutely fine - it even beads up after rain.

Now before I waxed my car pre this winter, I had been using Autoglym Aqua Wax. Instead of using a drying towel or chamois, you spray this on the wet car (after hosing all the shampoo off) and go round the car drying off with one micro fibre and then quickly buffing with another (both come in the kit). I must admit the car beaded up a treat so I'm thinking this maybe all you need unless you want to go to the next level.

jazzway

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
    • View Profile
  • Fuel economy:
Ready for the winter
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2017, 05:29:45 PM »
* OFF TOPIC *

I am really considering leaving this forum!
I created a topic in the car detailing section of this forum and again and again i am accused (yes, between the lines, but still) that our Jazz is a rusty thing and hardly maintained. 

Culzean, you are very welcome to come and inspect our Jazz inside and out, underneath and with a microscope if you wish.
That i am not a car technician myself don't mean things are not done and it also doesn't mean i don't value your opinion of car care. In the contrary when we bought this Jazz (first car with alloys) my brother said i should buy steel wheels or the winter because they are better protecting the brakes, i wasn't convinced, mainly because alloys looks better imho, but then i read the same reason to choose for steel wheels here, from you. Guess what? The steels are awaiting to put under next Saturday for the 2nd winter!

But why don't you make a new topic with all those important extra's you do before winter? Instead of forcing your opinion of what is important and what is not in a topic about car detailing, you can make a greater contribution to this forum when it has its own topic in the right section.

Of course not! That some people also like to do a little more to keep the paint and other things in a good condition, really annoys you! And with hijacking this topic with your opinion and going into detail with that in several posts (also the deleted), you want to make my contribution a waste of space and me looking an idiot. That is rude and disrespectful.

I really don't care if people like it or not, to wash their car (or do a little more extra) or not. I respect everyone's view on what he/she deems important. I created this topic in the car detailing section to contribute, help others and learn from others, but not to get slated by someone who doesn't like to clean his cars.

peteo48

• Approved Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2017, 05:48:52 PM »
Don't leave Jazzway - I value your input as someone who is a bit OCD about clean cars (I mean me not you :)). I agree that caring for the outside of the car does not mean you neglect the rest. In my experience people who don't wash their cars regularly don't maintain them that well either. Culzean is an exception obviously.

I'm not that great mechanically - back in the day I would change oil and spark plugs but would get somebody else to do the rest. These days my car is serviced on the dot at a Honda main dealer. I also ensure that the underbody is regularly hosed down. I never, ever, buy cheap unbranded tyres.

So, like yourself I like a clean car that is also well maintained mechanically.

culzean

• Approved Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2017, 06:04:26 PM »
* OFF TOPIC *

I am really considering leaving this forum!
I created a topic in the car detailing section of this forum and again and again i am accused (yes, between the lines, but still) that our Jazz is a rusty thing and hardly maintained. 

Culzean, you are very welcome to come and inspect our Jazz inside and out, underneath and with a microscope if you wish.
That i am not a car technician myself don't mean things are not done and it also doesn't mean i don't value your opinion of car care. In the contrary when we bought this Jazz (first car with alloys) my brother said i should buy steel wheels or the winter because they are better protecting the brakes, i wasn't convinced, mainly because alloys looks better imho, but then i read the same reason to choose for steel wheels here, from you. Guess what? The steels are awaiting to put under next Saturday for the 2nd winter!

But why don't you make a new topic with all those important extra's you do before winter? Instead of forcing your opinion of what is important and what is not in a topic about car detailing, you can make a greater contribution to this forum when it has its own topic in the right section.

Of course not! That some people also like to do a little more to keep the paint and other things in a good condition, really annoys you! And with hijacking this topic with your opinion and going into detail with that in several posts (also the deleted), you want to make my contribution a waste of space and me looking an idiot. That is rude and disrespectful.

I really don't care if people like it or not, to wash their car (or do a little more extra) or not. I respect everyone's view on what he/she deems important. I created this topic in the car detailing section to contribute, help others and learn from others, but not to get slated by someone who doesn't like to clean his cars.

Don't take offence at me, I'm just a grumpy bu&ger who never washes his paintwork. There are plenty of people on the forum who value your input on cleaning cars mate.  Just my experience with my neighbour who used to clean his car pretty much every day but I never saw him fixing it.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2017, 07:16:35 PM »
I think you are one of our rare female contributors Jazzway so you need to stay!

Tags: