Author Topic: Honda Connect & Smartphone problems  (Read 9292 times)

guest7227

Honda Connect & Smartphone problems
« on: November 11, 2017, 02:19:31 PM »
Hi,

Can anyone help or advise me ?

Having just purchased a 2017 Jazz from a local dealer, all is good with the exception of the Honda Connect system & smart phone compatibility.

I can't get either my wife's Samsung S5 or my S6 to connect ?

I would also like to install the App Goggle maps for navigation purposes via my mobile WIFI unit or tethering from my mobile.

My local dealer has advised that the Honda connect unit is more or better designed for use with blue tooth technology, in other words I cant help you sir !

I have to say it is very disappointing that brand new 2017 Honda Jazz appears to be not compatible for Android Auto etc.

Many thanks

Mark........

poul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 1,3 Elegance Cvt Navi
Re: Honda Connect & Smartphone problems
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 02:56:13 PM »
Android auto and Apple will come in 2018 version, just got a 2017 jazz and it Works well with my samsung s6 over bluetooht

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 06:42:38 PM »
Android auto and Apple will come in 2018 version, just got a 2017 jazz and it Works well with my samsung s6 over bluetooht
Some aspects do. Audio-over-Bluetooth works well for hands free phone calls and as an audio source. But then again neither is particularly revolutionary so they ought to work.

Unfortunately the Mirrorlink system is less of a success. The infotainment system runs on a version of Android that was obsolete before the car even went on sale. This meant they had to use a version of Mirrorlink that was in the process of being phased out in the real world. At the time the newer version wasn't compatible with the old one so newer phones don't work. I managed to get my S7 edge recognised by the system but all it did was turn the phone screen off so that I couldn't use it.

There was a suggestion that later versions of Mirrorlink 2 would be backwardly compatible with Mirrorlink 1 but I don't know if that ever came to fruition.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 09:10:54 PM »
Sadly the sales pitch for the Honda Connect system does not match the reality, Andruec’s theory about different versions of Mirrorlink probably explains why.

I would also like to install the App Goggle maps for navigation purposes via my mobile WIFI unit or tethering from my mobile.
AFAIK you can only download apps from the Honda App Centre, and there was very little there last time I looked, certainly nothing as useful as Google Maps (Honda are unlikely to make a navigation app freely available, they would prefer to sell you a car with Navigation installed).

There is a way to get a map display without faffing with Mirrorlink or any other app, although unfortunately it’s not very useful. Set your phone up as a mobile hotspot, then connect the car to it via WiFi. Then use the browser on the car unit to open Google maps. You’ll be using your mobile’s data allowance and positioning system. But you’ll probably find it very clunky and slow, and in any case the screen will blank when you drive away: HONDA deliberately prevent anything resembling video from displaying whilst the car is moving.

It’s much easier to forget about integrating your phone with Connect, just get a phone mount and use it for stand-alone navigation.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 09:19:39 PM »
It’s much easier to forget about integrating your phone with Connect, just get a phone mount and use it for stand-alone navigation.
Yah. One thing you can do is use your phone as an audio source when using it for navigation. If you do that the navigation instructions will also come through the infotainment unit along with whatever else you are listening to.

For what it's worth them some slightly old information re Honda and MirrorLink here. I haven't found anything more current so I'm actually beginning to think that MirrorLink has been abandoned in favour of Google's Android Auto.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 09:29:15 PM by andruec »

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 08:44:56 AM »
Yah. One thing you can do is use your phone as an audio source when using it for navigation. If you do that the navigation instructions will also come through the infotainment unit along with whatever else you are listening to.
Although this is annoying if you want to use the phone for navigating whilst (a) listening to the car radio and (b) charging the phone. What happens is that as soon as you plug in the USB cable, the Mirrorlink app in the phone automatically turns Bluetooth on even if you’ve previously turned it off, and then you have to either switch the Connect unit to Bluetooth input which means you lose the radio, or manually switch off Bluetooth so you only get directions from the phone speaker. To avoid this you have to find the hidden Mirrorlink app and disable it so it doesn’t turn Bluetooth on. So, not only does Mirrorlink not work, it actually gets in the way of how I want to use the car. Grrr.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 09:37:32 AM »
Although this is annoying if you want to use the phone for navigating whilst (a) listening to the car radio and (b) charging the phone. What happens is that as soon as you plug in the USB cable, the Mirrorlink app in the phone automatically turns Bluetooth on even if you’ve previously turned it off, and then you have to either switch the Connect unit to Bluetooth input which means you lose the radio, or manually switch off Bluetooth so you only get directions from the phone speaker. To avoid this you have to find the hidden Mirrorlink app and disable it so it doesn’t turn Bluetooth on. So, not only does Mirrorlink not work, it actually gets in the way of how I want to use the car. Grrr.
Have you tried it using a power-only USB cable?

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 10:12:51 AM »
Have you tried it using a power-only USB cable
No. That might work (as might getting a USB charger for the power socket), but having to buy special components is getting into the "more trouble than it's worth" area. As I said, I've fixed it by disabling Mirrorlink completely.

Tags: