Author Topic: beat replacement brake pads???  (Read 5557 times)

kevinivtec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ivtec ex i shift auto
beat replacement brake pads???
« on: October 26, 2017, 07:12:42 PM »
Can anyone advise me on the best replacement brake pads to purchase for my 2010 1.4 i v tec auto jazz, I have heard so many  comments on pads from e bay not lasting, told not to by pagid  pads who I thought were good quality, the guy at halfords said all pads were so soft now as they do not contain asbestos they are all the same??? and will turn to dust damaging your alloy wheels? so folks what your advice, for pads and discs replacement????

TonyS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 1.4 EX
Re: beat replacement brake pads???
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 08:21:41 PM »
I've used Pagid pads and discs on various cars over the years without any problems and always found them to work well. Never noticed any more brake dust generated from them than other pads.
They are OE suppliers to a number of upmarket German car brands so they must be of decent quality.

Usually buy them from Euro Car Parts when they have one of their sale offers, which is usually every week!
They also supply Brembo pads and discs for similar sort of prices so that's an alternative as Brembo are very well known for brakes and are OE suppliers to many of the top marques both cars and motorbikes.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 08:47:04 PM »
Pad and disc combinations are picked by car makers to suit the expected use of the car, for a low performance city car like a Jazz you want pads that have good bite from cold and not a 'Sporty'  formulation that are not very good when cold and have to be warmed up to work well. As with most things, including paint the best ingredients get banned and the substitutes are normally not as good.

OEM pads and discs are normally most suitable, and the old adage of buying cheap and buying twice still has truth in it today.  If brakes are used sensibly pads will last many miles, so cost per mile not a great amount.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

kevinivtec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 09:05:22 PM »
many thanks for your advice much appreciated!!

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 12:22:18 AM »
For the brakes i want oem. I bought the original Honda brake pads from Cox Motor Parts. And even with ordering from the Netherlands, they have the best price for genuine parts.

http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/2009-2015-jazz-brake-pads-discs-c-24_414_667.html

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 10:17:03 AM »
For the brakes i want oem. I bought the original Honda brake pads from Cox Motor Parts. And even with ordering from the Netherlands, they have the best price for genuine parts.

http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/2009-2015-jazz-brake-pads-discs-c-24_414_667.html

I have bought my last few sets of pads for Jazz and Civic and some discs for rear of Jazz from Cox,  good service and as you say a good price as well. 

I also got last oil, oil filters, air and cabin filters, spark plugs for Jazz and Civic from Opie oils,  also top service and good prices,  they supply mainly Bosch or Mahle filters (made in Austria) - and genuine NGK spark plugs.  Everything fitted perfectly. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

kevinivtec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 01:25:04 AM »
many thanks for your advice

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 05:01:36 PM »
I am using Brembo from Eurocarparts.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 02:32:53 PM »
I am using Brembo from Eurocarparts.

I have carried out a full brake service at 29k miles.. replace fluid, grease all sliders (I use Textar's  Ceratec non metallic HMP grease).. Rear brakes down to 1mm  - wear indicator just about to be hit - so I used Brembo rear pads from ECP as above.. collected Friday after ordering Friday 7am.. Fitted today.

Fronts still have 3.5mm so Brembo in about 5k miles.

Test drive down local hill - 100M high - showed new pads heated up rear disks nicely - not as hot as front but enough to burn fingers..Handbrake much improved -I used to get pads sticking at rear when parked with handbrake on with wet disks. Bang! when starting next day..Passenger side inner pad was clearly sticking looking at the wear ..

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 03:41:50 PM »
I used to get pads sticking at rear when parked with handbrake on with wet disks. Bang! when starting next day.
I have never had a car with a disc handbrake that didn't stick when it was put away with wet discs and pads, after washing.

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 09:18:05 AM »
I used to get pads sticking at rear when parked with handbrake on with wet disks. Bang! when starting next day.
I have never had a car with a disc handbrake that didn't stick when it was put away with wet discs and pads, after washing.

+1, same here.

Plasma.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 09:31:05 AM »

+1, same here.

Plasma.

It happened on my wifes Jazz,  but only after it had stood for nearly 3 weeks while we were on holiday in the Civic. It wasn't through washing (our cars hardly get washed) but through lots of rain, first time she drove it after being parked she noticed a 'knocking' from rear brake, but after I put handbrake on for a short distance while driving to polish the disc all was good again.  Could not really leave car parked with handbrake off as out drive has a 20 degree slope on it,  the garage door may have acted as a brake I suppose.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 10:25:42 AM »
What I will say is that having replaced the badly worn pads,greased all the contact points and run it down the hill above us (1 mile long, 100 meters high) to get the rear brakes working hard and bed in the pads, the handbrake now works perfectly on the 6th click of the ratchet - used to slip on that and need 8 clicks.

Decided to replace the fronts as well despite some 3.5mm of pad left - don't fancy doing them in March (weather and start of beekeeping season) so ordered Brembo from CarParts4Less £29 net delivered...(Left them in basket over weekend and they offered me another 1% discount to place order on Monday)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 11:29:38 AM »
I try to keep rear brakes discs and pads in good shape by sometimes pulling on the handbrake while car is moving (not too much distance or speed as the brakes can easily overheat).  The rear brakes only account for 20 to 30% max of braking effort on a car and are not normally taken out of their comfort zone by normal braking, so a bit of a workout occasionally can help keep them in good shape. Weight is naturally transferred to front wheels during braking, which leaves rear tyres with much less grip, this is even more pronounced on a motorbike, and rear brake is often not even as good as engine braking. 

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 12:57:09 PM »
I never bother cleaning up my rear discs and pads, as they are activated every time I apply the footbrake. My rear discs are as smooth and shiny as the front ones, which are as good as when they were fitted.

Tags:

anything