Author Topic: The car is gone!  (Read 5639 times)

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
Re: The car is gone!
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 10:40:51 AM »
Sorry to hear of your troubles DWF. I know losing the car was just the start of your problems, alternative getting about, paperwork and the stupid onerous task dealing with Insurance (I've just moved away from the Doggy bag company) as I found their renewals were out of touch with accident free motoring.
I did the same with insurance from a well known supermarket (actually provided by a well known Scottish bank I believe). The first renewals was fine for my old Mk2. When I upgraded to the Mk3 it only cost £40 for the last six months. The first Mk3 renewal was fine (£220 I think - over 50, 15+ years NCB). Then last year's renewal was £360.

The other quotes were around £240 so I called them to see if they could improve the renewal offer. They offered to knock £20 off and reminded me that I got double clubcard points.

So I went elsewhere. Stupid insurance companies.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2017, 10:46:06 AM »

Keeping the keys hidden or in a safe leaves you or your loved ones open to threats and violence with possibly worse consequences so keeping them secure (downstairs away from you person) in my opinion is the better way to go.

I would agree with you if you had a Bentley, Aston-Martin or high end sports car on the drive, or even a LandRover Defender,  which are well in demand by vehicle thieves (and will be in a shipping container on the way to Russia or middle east within 24 hours) but a Honda Jazz ??? Most scrotes would not be seen dead driving a Jazz.  I would fit a couple of LED floodlights with PIR looking at your drive - mount the lights high up facing down so they don't annoy the neighbours,  it is amazing what a bit of light does to deter people from hanging around, and don't just have them coming on for a few seconds - I have the 'time' dial turned right round to maximum ( about 8 to 10 mins) on all mine - they only draw about 10 to 30 watts anyway so is hardly gonna show on your bill if they stayed on all night.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 12:06:19 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

DWF

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 11:16:22 AM »
John, as you say the car theft is the gift that keeps on giving.
After 5 weeks, and me phoning the insurance most days, I was told that the cheques, one to me and one to Honda Finance, were posted on the Friday ( I got the balance between what I owed and their valuation minus the Excess). On the Tuesday night the police called saying that they had found my car  :o
I spoke to the insurance the next day who assured me that the claim was over, so I phoned them back a couple of hours later and told them where to collect 'their' car as I had no claim on it, was no longer insured for it, had no keys,  and it was on false number plates
This was 2 days before I was due to pay for a secondhand car, so it could have ended badly with me going from no car to 3 cars, my own, a courtesy car while mine was assessed, and the one I had put a deposit on.

guest5079

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2017, 12:08:40 PM »
Well done DWF. If the piggin insurers can't be more helpful then you did the right thing after the car was recovered.  I don't know where you live but it would be a bit of justice if the car was in a 'scrote' area. In my plod days, when cars were taken NOT stolen ( good old British law its only taken and driven away unless a period of time elapses) if they were found in the  Met police area, the loser had to move pretty fast. We had a case whereby a Ford Capri GT was reported stolen. A couple of days later Met found it. Owner notified and off he went only to find what was left of it on bricks. The response from finding to owner 'collecting' was only a few hours.

Hopefully your insurers will have nothing to sell the breakers by the time they collect the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

guest1372

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2017, 12:23:29 PM »
I have a set of Peugeot keys left in the hallway; they are from a company pool car that disappeared from the office along with several Land Rovers.  Nobody ever asked for them back so they act as decoys now.
--
TG

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2017, 12:38:35 PM »
We had an Astra pool car stolen in Nottingham.  The police notified us that they had found it but by the time we got there, an hour later, it had been stolen again.  The next time the police found it, it was a burned out shell.

DWF

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2017, 09:34:35 AM »
Chapter 3 of the saga
After a couple of weeks I got a phone message from the insurance, and also one from the police compound. I phoned them back the next day, the nodding dog company wanted to know if the car was really at the compound as they had been and found it to be a Ford Fiesta! I had told them that my car was on false plates AND I found out later from the compound that the driver even turned up with a new set of my plates to take the car away, so why did they look for the number plate rather than for poor old Metallic Sporty Blue "PJ"?
The police had recovered the Fiesta just a day or so earlier and the compound had not updated their system with it's correct details

guest5079

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2017, 02:56:07 PM »
It seems that the 'villains' are getting are getting smart. Nick a Jazz because nobody thinks a Jazz would be taken.
Do a job, nobody would think twice about a Jazz driving away, they would all be looking for the BMW with smoking tyres driving off.
As to the compound records not being up to date, problem is now days most of that sort of work would be done by civilians who are there in many cases just for the job. In days of yor, a copper had to be aware of the good ol discipline code. Drop a ricket however small and woe betide you.

guest1372

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2017, 12:46:14 PM »
Old colleague (Sales Director!) led out of his house at 7am in handcuffs in front of sobbing wife and children after a BMW using his cloned plate involved in hostile robbery.  What can you do?
--
TG

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2017, 03:39:36 PM »
Old colleague (Sales Director!) led out of his house at 7am in handcuffs in front of sobbing wife and children after a BMW using his cloned plate involved in hostile robbery.  What can you do?
--
TG

Sue the police for wrongful arrest...

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2017, 04:03:38 PM »
Don't think you can till you were charged (wrongfully).

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2017, 05:32:05 PM »
--
TG

Sue the police for wrongful arrest...

One of my motorbiking mates had his van number plate cloned and after intial contact with Derby police about it they accepted that it wasn't his van that had been through speed cameras and driven away from petrol stations without paying.  About a week later he was pulled over by a patrol car in Staffordshire and asked to get into the back of the Police car, he refused and asked them if it was about the cloned plate and the copper confirmed it was,  my mate showed him a card the Derby policewoman who did the initial investigation gave him and asked him to ring the number on card to check, the copper refused several times and made threatening noises to my mate but then rang the policewoman.  Turned out my mate had already proved it wasn't his blue transit because his had ladders on the roof and 'XXX' Pest Control over the side and back.  Just goes to show that even if you are innocent the Police can still get heavy.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2017, 07:53:12 PM »
A clergyman I know had his car stolen from his drive.  The thieves abandoned it just around the caller.  The police took it way on a transporter to check for finger prints etc.  When they had finished, the clergyman had to pay £350 to get the car back from a pound (miles away).

guest5079

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2017, 10:29:16 AM »
It saddens me greatly to read these stories about the modern day police. I appreciate I have been retired a few years but I am afraid I too get a little concerned when we are constantly reminded of how hard our police are working and have no time to attend to this and that.  AND YET I frequently see them pull up in a marked car and go into a supermarket and do some shopping. If it's for something to eat and it sure doesn't look like it, where is their forward planning?  Why not use a shop in less high profile circumstances and NO I don't think it's a case of police presence as a deterrent. In my days this was a definite NO  NO. If they want to do shopping wait until they have finished. Here the police station is about one mile from Tescos who are open 24hrs a day. Unfortunately even in my day we had coppers who liked to chuck  their weight around. The copper who refused to check should have been reported, YES I know then you become a marked man. As to having a vehicle taken away for fingerprints and NOT returned, I would suggest a solicitor's letter here. That is not good enough. Where was the incident on the Orkney's? no fingerprint personnel closer than that. Most police areas aren't that big. Sorry Jocko your police are different due to the huge mileages involved.
It used to be a retired copper could be proud of that fact, no more. Who removed the discipline code? With their black uniforms ( mine was dark blue that's why we were called the boys in blue) and their power walk makes them look like some pseudo para military group and that is NOT what the British bobby was known to be. Oh dear is this a sign of getting old.

Tags: